Tips and Recommendations for Pismo/Oceano and Dumont Dunes

bonzai272

Im thinking of trying a new place in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Ive been riding Glamis a lot and have never been to Dumont or Pismo/Oceano Dunes.

I need paddles for both locations, right?

I have learned a lot about Oceano recently, about planning to arrive and leave around the low tide, etc etc etc....How early or late can I plan to get in or out in relation to the low tide? If low tide is at 2pm....how early should I be able to get in with my 2wd dodge ram pulling a small utility trailer with single quad on it?

How does Dumont compare to Pismo as far as riding and camping? I like having the toilets at each location since I just camp in a tent, I have no hauler or motorhome. Thanks for any input or tips.

After riding at Glamis for the first time this winter, i would say pismo would be the last place i would ride. Pismo compaires to the dunes you ride when your getting out to the bigger dunes at glamis. I would try dumont while it still is colder there. then pismo in the summer since its by the ocean and will be less hot to ride in the summer

Dumont is nice but its very small. only two or three hils and they get really crowded. the camping areas are pretty nice and wide open. if your into riding dunes you can cover the whole place in no time flat. they have toilets but not many. I like Glamis much more but if your close to Dumont its not a bad place. The hills are shorter but more steep

edit: oh and i think i remember someone saying they opened a new hill thats pretty narley

Edited by Bansh-eman

The reason i go to pismo is because its about 2 hrs from where i live. Usually go down for a couple days. 2wd at pismo is going to be tough. If you air down and its not choppy and you can pick a good path to where you want to camp, you should be fine. Ive seen people out there in 2wd trucks all the time, but i would drop your bike on the beach before busting ass onto the higher beach.

Pismo is also getting pretty anal about registgration. Getting on the beach in a 2wd is do able but I wouldn't get too far up in the loose sand fro fear of getting stuck....The las time I was there there were a bunch of young "hot shots" tghat didn't look where they were going....almost ran over a few people because they didn't look before they turned....

So ill just give you a little input.. since i live only 30 minutes from drive way to ocean at pismo, we tend to go there alot. Pismo is fun for me all the time since its close. Glamis is really fun but its also 10 hours towing the trailers. Glamis is really big lots of dunes to ride, so therefore when you come to pismo your gonna think its wimpy. There is alot of steep dunes with sharp edges caused from the off shore winds. (mental note all lips face the ocean) And when i say winds Dumont had the worst wind i was ever in, i was there a couple years ago for thanksgiving and the flags were all blown over and whacking the sides of the trailers. It seemed to me like the place closed down at 8:30 at night, everyone closed up the camp and went to bed after dinner. We did also camp a decent ways from everyone else though, just so we wouldn't have to deal with the late night stuff that goes on at are camp. In final words Pismo is a fun place to ride year round i think its good for the kids close to town if you need anything but gets foggy alot and overcast at night. Dumont is also a great place besides that desert wind and the rocks spread everywhere it was a fun place too bad that when you goto the hill at night there is no one there at least at pismo their are people putting around all hours of the night....

I've been to Pismo 5 times. If you're a good driver on the Sand, then you'll be OK with a 2wd. I've taken my Dad's 2wd inline 6 Ford with a camper shell 32" tires and small 4x8 trailer during high tide with no problem. Just make sure you know how to read the sand. I think Pismo can be more dangerous then Glamis when it comes to dunning. The reason is that there are no really big hills so when you're ridding it's hard to distinguish where the drop offs are, and believe me, there's a lot!. You get more hookup because the sand always has moisture, so get the hang of that first, and make sure when you find your camping spot if you go in at low tide, that you camp out far back enough or you'll be digging a trench, or worst, moving your camp site back more.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been to all the places being discussed, For me personaly Dumont is better than glamis. Taller steeper dunes Hp really matters there. Dumont isnt as large of an area but the quality of the dunes is better.

Go to pismo in the summer, Ride some, watch some girls on the beach and ride some more. I drive everywhere out there in my 2wheel dirve truck. Up down and aaround everything, But ive been out there driving a bunch now.

Some tips, Air way down, 7-10 lbs, Keep your momentioum, and when you stop face down hill. The beach has a 15mhp speedlimit obay it, The drags are whooped out, but not as bad as ollds.

Go there kick back and have fun

• 2 weeks later...

if you think dumont is small you wont like pismo. pismo is smaller. and has no hills but alot of drop offs.

i like all three places and hit them diffrent times of yr. theres no way i will go to pismo during duning season when i could ride glamis,dumont, or buttercup.

we do hit pismo twice in the summer, only place in socal where you can ride and have the kids enjoy the beach.