Current Oregon Dune Conditions

jkross

Calling fellow Oregonians: Just looking to see if anyone's been out to Winchester Bay or Florence recently. I'm headed there Sunday and need to know if either is any better than the other. I know there's been an ass load of weather pounding the dunes...high winds and whatnot...Just need to know which is better right now...or if they're both torn to hell.

Thanks in advance.

Probably cold and tons of water (ponds and lakes) out in the dunes. I wont go between Middle of November to about the 3rd week in April.

You wait that long? How can you stand it? :blink:

We're planning a big trip first weekend of April to Winchester. Actually it's planned. We're staying in the cabins, and hopefully there will be minimal ponds! lol.

Well, we went and it was amazing. Sunny and nearly 60! We rode in t-shirts and aside from my nephew's Blaster blowing up, we had a great time.

The sand was VERY heavy on all North slopes, which made the hill climbs much more challenging. There was water running down the three main trails to the beach, and all the lowlands were pretty wet, but not as bad as I suspected.

We always camp in H-Loop that last week in April, every year. We'll be there the 23rd through the 27th this year. We'll be in 392, 385, 388 and 381. There will be beer.

Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

you guys are crazy i live 45 minutes from the south jetty parking lot i ride all winter theres less people but ive been 5 times in the last 2 months and have yet to get rained on but there are a lot of ponds and water out in the dunes.

and as he said the beers allways cold at my truck!!!

also need new riding buddy my brother just got switched to grave yard and riding by yourself sucks!!!

yeah well you can look up at the sky, see its nice and go riding. I live in the seattle area, I cant just hope its gonna be sunny, drive 7 hours and then get dumped on with rain and wind. I have even been snowed on out there in the winter. We are going to Sandlake April 18-20th.

Heading to Winchester Bay next week. We will be there from the 27th to the 30th at Discovery Point. Hopefully I can figure what is wrong with the shee by then. Time is running short, and I dont want to spend the whole trip working on a bike. Pray for good weather, cause I know the beer will be cold...