Slight Problem

Just got back from Glamis a couple days ago, it was awesome... The weather was nice, and i had a great time riding the dunes. It was my first time out there are i am more than excited to make the drive back again. I also ran into a problem out in the dunes. The first and second day my bike ran great no problems whatsoever. The third day, somehow sand got into the left side carb, and the slide got stuck. So i pulled the carbs off, cleaned everything really well, and put them back on. Started it up, and it ran good until about 5 min into the ride, when it got hot, it started to run like crap again. So i made it back to camp, and pulled everything apart, air box, cleaned carbs again, pulled the reeds off, and took a look at the cylinders and pistons because we thought some of the sand made it into the chambers. But everything was fine, so i put everything back together and started it up again. But it was never the same, it doesnt have any power where the powerband is supposed to be, and falls on its face when you let off the throttle.

Being that i just got home, i pulled it apart, and everything looks fine. We checked the compression at the dunes after getting back, it was 110 and 115 (with the throttle wide open, just getting back from a ride), While its kinda low, i dont think it could be causing my problem.

What do you guys think?? could it be the cdi? Im open to all options and opinions. Because now that its apart im going to get it ported, crank trued and welded, and new pistons and everything. I just want to make sure that the rebuild takes care of the problem.

Sorry for the long post, let me know what you guys think.

Ill have pics of the trip tomorrow or monday sometime.

-Jamie

see if you have a good spark just touch the sparkplugs caps on to the motor watch out for a ZAPPPPPPP! Check all of your fuel lines mabey some grit got in there and pull your carbs apart again and make sure you put them together correctly. I doubt its electrical if you found sand in the carbs thats not good but pray for the best.

Washburn: I will check out the spark, i didnt think to to that at the dunes.

Flatt & Shee: once i cleaned out the carbs the first time, they were fine. The next day when i pulled off the carbs again, and took them apart, they were clean of any sand and grit, but i sprayed them out again with break cleaner. And everything was hooked up correctly, (i dont have a climbers, but i have done it enough times, lol)

I took everything apart when i got home, and everything seems to be fine. The cylinders look good, and the pistons are fine. Nothing is up with the carbs. Im going to get some motor work and porting done on it just because its apart, but i want to find out what the problem is/was so when i put it back together it doesnt happen again.

Thanks for the input guys :cool:

Thats what i would try, check the reeds, make sure they look ok. I dont really think you have a spark problem because you said you found dirt so that leads me to beleive it's a fuel problem, when you cleaned the carbs did you pull out the mains and pilot jets to make sure there isnt sand stuck in one of them? it's happen to me before, bike was running like complete crap, cleaned the carbs like 5 times but never really inspected the jets, i found 1 spec of sand caught in one of my main jets that the carb cleaner was not getting out, so i took a tooth pick and pushed it out. Put it back together and she ran fine. Hope this helps.

I will check out the tank for sure, because I know it ran fine when I started it up, but didn't run as well on the top end. That would explain alot.

When I took the carbs apart I totally disassembled them and cleaned everything, so I highly doubt its the carbs. My jetting was right on also because it ran great at pismo which is at sea level, and glamis is a little below sea level.

Thanks, I'll check them out