revers start?

You know when u go down a hill, your engine is off put it in 2nd and let go of the clutch the engine jumps to life, I was wondering; can u do that in revers??? basicly run ure shee down a hill goin backwards, and then let go of the clutch would the engine jump into life, but fireing the otherway around? Though I wont suggest trying it do any of u guyz know of any facts bout this?

P.S sry for not posting up here in a while, it gets upto 50*C over here in the summer (march-mid nov)

Edited by felcon edition banshee

I wouldnt try it.. banshees dont have reverse, your tires would be going backwards, meaning your front sproket (hooked to your tranny) would be to. Then you let go of the clutch and all that stuff is suddenly going yo have to switch what dierction its turning. Sounds like an easy was to jack up a tranny to me.

I wouldnt try it.. banshees dont have reverse, your tires would be going backwards, meaning your front sproket (hooked to your tranny) would be to. Then you let go of the clutch and all that stuff is suddenly going yo have to switch what dierction its turning. Sounds like an easy was to jack up a tranny to me.

resons like that i havent tryed it...

that would be interesting to find out... the reason i say that is what if you got stuck climbing a hill and you started rolling backwards would it fire and run backwards? there by making your down hill run faster and more dangerous. it would be nice to know so that you make sure you don't do it by accident (then have a worse accident.

that would be interesting to find out... the reason i say that is what if you got stuck climbing a hill and you started rolling backwards would it fire and run backwards? there by making your down hill run faster and more dangerous. it would be nice to know so that you make sure you don't do it by accident (then have a worse accident.

If you were rolling down a hill, with it dead, were in first and let the clutch out, you would probably end up on your lid. I think it may flip over depending on how steep the hill was, but no it wouldnt run becuase there are no reverse gears in the tranny. Thats what i think anyway. :shrug:

resons like that i want to know , ok and im a curious person...

You could get it to start but all of that motion would have you on your ass unless you know exactly what your doing and it would be horrible for the tranny if you plan on doing this. Learn to go backwards on a hill by going up one about half way and let go of the gas. It helps.

banshee won't run backwards unless you change the ignition timing or get the engine revving really high before turning the ignition on.

2 strokes, as well as all other engines, have ignition timing. for the banshee, this means around 17 degrees before top dead centre at idle, for a stock motor. that mean the plug is firing before the piston goes to the top of the cylinder. if you run the motor backwards, it would have timing of 17 degrees after top dead center, which means the plug fires but nothing happens because the piston is already going down a significant ammount.

this is unique in the engine world because 4 stroke gas alcohol and diesel engines all start their timing curve with a relatively low ammount of advance at idle, and it gradually increases the timing as the rpm's rise. 2 strokes are unique in that they work exactly the opposite, starting the timing curve with a high degree of advance which lessens as the rpm's rise toward redline.

because a 2 stroke ignition timing curve is unique in that it starts advanced and gradually retards from that point as the rpm's rize, the banshee has ignition timing of around 2 degrees btdc at high rpm's. this is close enough to top dead centre that if the motor was run backwards to a high rpm and the ignition turned on, it could theoretically run backwards, but only at high rpm's and it would be down on power because its running severely retarded timing. if you let off the throttle and the rpm's dropped the motor would quit running, possibly violently without first flicking the kill switch.

theoretically, the crankshaft, rods, pistons, top end, carburettors, exhaust pipes, etc can all work backwards like this without any consequences because a 2 stroke has no cam or vales, it actually can run backwards. if you hand crank the engine foreward or backwards, the carbs and reeds still pull air through them in the same direction. makes no difference which way you spin the motor. there have been plenty of 2 strokes built with adjustable timing to run forwards or backwards. model airplanes come to mind specifically here. you can run a model airplane 2 stroke backwards or forwards simply by which direction you spin the prop to start it.

IF you change the ignition timing on a banshee to account for this you could run it backwards. if you don't, then you wont be able to run it backwards. although you might get an occasional pop or backfire that might destroy things.

i dont know what the transmission would do if you tried to shift while the engine was running in reverse though. maybe nothing. maybe it would grenade.

The kick start gear will engage if the engine runs backwards. Then it will rip the fuckin thing out breaking your cases in the process.

agreed !!! i have seen it happen,a little to much timing and the starter gear came right out through my lock up cover,lol. two strokes can run reverse rotation but its not a good idea.

Edited by blueshee03

The kick start gear will engage if the engine runs backwards. Then it will rip the fuckin thing out breaking your cases in the process.

my brothers bike did this. we were hillclimbing and he got stopped on a hill. bike rolled back a little ways and he ended up busting the kickstart gear. it was pretty messy.