Weird Motor Lockup

fabricated

My last trip to glamis was in march of this year. The bike ran great! I run vp 110 throught the bike 100%. I currently have the timing advanced 4 degrees, a lightened flywheel, .03'' milled off the head, and had my domes reshaped. It has a good dune port, and some reed spacers. As far as jetting I have 360 mains and 30 pilots with toomey needles on the 4th slot. The bike has always ran good and after the last trip in march it continued to run good. When I got home, I washed it and ran it to get any water that may have gotten into the intake or pipes (most likely nothing was in there). And when I shut it down it was fine, I always let it idle for a few minutes and give it a few light revs to clear it out and then shut it down. Everything seemed fine. Now, 6 months later I went to fire it up and the motor was locked up. I pulled the plugs and they were dark because I always run it a little rich. They had a slight carbon buildup on them which is typical running leaded race gas. So i poured a little premix in the cylinders a let it sit for a while. Then I began rocking the bike back in forth in gear and eventually freed it up. I got it fired up and now it seems fine. I have not done a compression check but it raps up just like it did before. I also didn ot notice any ticking or knocking(other than the norm). I don't know if I had any fuel in the cylinders that form a residue aound the rings or what.

What kind of oil do you run for premix? Just wondering because some times caster oil will get gummy. I noticed this on my weed wacker when I would run Klotz Supertechniplate. (It has 20% caster oil.) I couldnt imagine what it would be like if I tried Benol wich is 100% Caster oil.

I never noticed it making my banshee hard to kick over. I think it is just more notice able in small engines. It never gave it a feeling of being locked up. Just felt like there was tar in the engine.

You might have gotten a little water or just condensation in the engine. That would cause the cylinders to rust a little.

it sounds like a cold seize. It happens a lot in snowmobiles. I would hit your local parts store and get some fogging oil. while running give it a few shots in each cylinder. then once you shut it down shoot some through the spark plug holes. then you should be all set for storage. Good luck.

One of the weird things is that I live in socal and I dont see it getting cold enough to seize up like that. It sounds more like the cylinders building a small amount of rust on them and locked up on the rings. At first I could'nt move it at all and slowing heard the piston move a little with the plugs out. Then it seemed like once I was able to make one revolution it was free as it would have been if it never happened.

One of the weird things is that I live in socal and I dont see it getting cold enough to seize up like that. It sounds more like the cylinders building a small amount of rust on them and locked up on the rings. At first I could'nt move it at all and slowing heard the piston move a little with the plugs out. Then it seemed like once I was able to make one revolution it was free as it would have been if it never happened.

When they say "cold seize" it is basically from sitting not the temp. Snowmobiles will seize in the summer. Moisture and lack of use will cause the seize to happen. use the fogging oil and you won't have that problem.