gearing/chain questions (searched)

13bturbofc

There are two ways...the caveman way and the easy as pie way.

Caveman way...you figure out how many links you have to cut off, take a grinder, grind the head of the pin off and use a hammer and punch or a vise, punch and socket to hammer or press it out.

Or you could buy a tool called a chain break.

You simply use any old ratchet or impact gun to push the pin out...very, very easy and simple...

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDet...odFamilyId=1473

Your local dealer will probably have one for a few more bucks... They are worth every penny IMO.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you actually read my post? 300 foot of SAND....

I agreed with you dajogejr,16/44 arent the type of gears an asphalt drag shee would have.

Let me take this chance to thank you for the swingarm pivot bolt mod.Its great.

Sorry for jacking the thread.13turbo.With the new swingarm and gears shees gonna be a fun bike.

rock mountain atv has the chain breaker for like 12 bucks.

I know (not worth it)...I just think its retarded that people are going to jump in and make stupid comments like that one, think they know everything. I'm not mad, just making a valid point.

Carry on! :smile: :thumbsup:

Whats the valid point,that it isnt worth it?"not worth it I know"

Please show me the stupid comment or where I act like I know everything.

I asked why would anyone wold run a 44 rear on asphalt?Your answer was because"maybe thats what works best"Well thanks for keeping it simple bigboy.

Edited by brugal

whats the best way to take out the extra links?

i like to take my wife best kitchen knife and swing the chain and hit it on the kife until it break the chain... its a little tricky at first buy you get used to it fast...

ok but for real get a chain break it amount a few other tools are a must for anyone ding their own work on thier quad

I asked why would anyone wold run a 44 rear on asphalt?Your answer was because"maybe thats what works best"Well thanks for keeping it simple bigboy.

from the guys times on pavement , it doesn t sound like he knew what he was doing. a 44 rear might be used to get the mph up at a certain point.60ft time ect.no certain gear combo fits every bike like travis said. when i ran different tracks i had 14 to 18 fronts with me, and 38 to 44 rears.

from the guys times on pavement , it doesn t sound like he knew what he was doing. a 44 rear might be used to get the mph up at a certain point.60ft time ect.no certain gear combo fits every bike like travis said. when i ran different tracks i had 14 to 18 fronts with me, and 38 to 44 rears.

Thanks for clearing that up NYUK,cuz I never heard of anyone running a 44 on asphalt.

The stupid comment was "why would anyone run a 44"...Uhhh...the same reason you would run any size sprocket, cause its what worked best at the time/place he ran it before. Then you followed up with the comment about explaining how it could be a "realistic" asphalt setup...again, cause maybe that's what got the guy down the track the quickest. You came off cocky and "knowing it all" by acting like running a 44 tooth sprocket is the most ridiculous thing in the world...when its actually quite common in drag setups. I, like John did, keep several sprockets on hand, one of them being a 44, and I had to use it once to compensate for tire size. When you're at the track and don't have access to an impact, you use what you have to get your setup right. Is this better and more explanative for you?

The point was there isn't a "right" or "wrong" gearing for an asphalt setup. You use what works best. My comment was kept simple because there is nothing complicated about what we're talking about. Some things don't have to be complex to be accurate. :shrug:

The stupid comment was "why would anyone run a 44"...Uhhh...the same reason you would run any size sprocket, cause its what worked best at the time/place he ran it before. Then you followed up with the comment about explaining how it could be a "realistic" asphalt setup...again, cause maybe that's what got the guy down the track the quickest. You came off cocky and "knowing it all" by acting like running a 44 tooth sprocket is the most ridiculous thing in the world...when its actually quite common in drag setups. I, like John did, keep several sprockets on hand, one of them being a 44, and I had to use it once to compensate for tire size. When you're at the track and don't have access to an impact, you use what you have to get your setup right. Is this better and more explanative for you?

The point was there isn't a "right" or "wrong" gearing for an asphalt setup. You use what works best. My comment was kept simple because there is nothing complicated about what we're talking about. Some things don't have to be complex to be accurate. :shrug:

John already answered the question or as you call it a stupid comment.Maybe I cant express my self to the fullest when typing and it came off cocky,but the truth is, thats the first time I ever heard of someone using a 44 sprocket on asphalt.I learned something new.All I did was ask you if realisticly that would work cuz in south florida no one runs those type gears to my knowledge.If anything down here they use the honda set up just to be able to run less in the rear.Thats all...

ok WTF!!! is the deal here i bought a new chain and choped it down to 104 links it came with 120 so after i cut it i went to put it on and it was like 5 links to short so now the chain is junk..what is the right way to put a chain on am i supposed to jack up on the axle to get the chain to fit or what..cause its stock gearing and 104 links and it dosent fucking fit im pissed