Sum up a question for me, and everyone else!

babywipebanshee

1. This has most likely been asked before, But I really think it needs to be refreshed being so, theres more educated MX'ers with better advice and opinions.

2. Please keep this topic from wondering. Example :XXX says "Cool Tom how are those toomeys" Tom says "...". Lets PM each other instead of cluttering up this thread :thumbsup: .

3. What is the best MX set-up for the banshee for the average weekend-warriors.

4. There IS a money budget (not all of us have 2G's to dump into are machines)

5. Time isn't an issue, as long as (for me anyway) I can buy the parts and pieces every month or so, and still get some seat time. Example : Save for pipes for 2 weeks, next week buy the trinity carb kit, next week buy the axle and A-arms.

See what I am saying?

Again, you guys are the educated ones, I'm just trying to throw some stuff at you.

So with that said, lets here it.

Also, could you include a price range next to the mod your suggesting.

Thanks

-Colt

(along with anonymous)

well first off if you want a killer mx bike sell the banshee and get a 450 but ill answer the q's anyways...

first and for most you need to buy a good suspension... this is by far your most expensive part... a good set of +2+1 a arms and a -2 swinger are very nice for jumping... also a extended axle... now for shocks you cant beat Work for the price... they have many differant styles.. a good shock for all around is the Pro Series tripple rates on the front and a quadstar on the back setup for your weight and a arms/swinger length...

now after you have your suspension done... worry with motor...

for some good lowend grunt look into a 2 in 1 carb set with a 35 pwk carb....vforce 3 reeds, a adjustable timing plate, coolhead and domes with size depending on what gas your running. can the stock air filter and get something tht breaths. pipes of your choice. there are TONS of lowend pipes, just have to start searcing for what kind of power range your looking for.

then once you get all that some porting.

now the mods above arnt nessessarily the best in that order i just typed them in as they hit the brain....

but that right there will be a totally differant machine...

Cool Tom, how are those Toomeys? :yelrotflmao: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, a Banshee probably isn't the best choice for an MX bike if you are racing competitively. Although, it is a definately one of the most fun bikes to ride if your just a weekend warrior, or just having fun.

The mods that will give you the most bang for the buck are the exhust and jetting(Many choices for MX, Pro Circuits, Paul Turner, FMF, Toomeys, just to name a few), tires (if your still running stock, ditch 'em), and going one tooth lower on the front gear. These were the first 3 mods I did before I started going wild, at some point in the near future, I would also figure adding +2+1 arms, and new front shocks, this gets a little more pricey, but is well well worth it. This is from my own experience, I don't race, but I do ride trails and MX for fun.

Its how good you are. Most cant handle a banshee for MX but if youve been exposed to two smokes your whole life you wont have to adapt to something diffrent unless you need too or are sponcered.

Look at my mod list and youll see what you need to compete owning a banshee vs a 450r. I bought it all because of what I know and what machine I want. Figure in Ive rode and can ride anything I want I dident just start spending thousands cause I have a banshee plus now that I have all of that money sunk into it Ide be a complete moron to switch BUT It gets up there in price tom Im tellin you buddie :biggrin:

EDIT Its (TOO ME) Not Tommy :blink:

Its how good you are. Most cant handle a banshee for MX but if youve been exposed to two smokes your whole life you wont have to adapt to something diffrent unless you need too or are sponcered.

Look at my mod list and youll see what you need to compete owning a banshee vs a 450r. I bought it all because of what I know and what machine I want. Figure in Ive rode and can ride anything I want I dident just start spending thousands cause I have a banshee plus now that I have all of that money sunk into it Ide be a complete moron to switch BUT It gets up there in price tom Im tellin you buddie :biggrin:

EDIT Its (TOO ME) Not Tommy :blink:

How are these for suspension? I know they dont have the piggy backs, but are they better then lets say, YFZ front suspension? Must be better than the stock banshee's..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BANSHEE-350...sspagenameZWDVW

How are these for suspension? I know they dont have the piggy backs, but are they better then lets say, YFZ front suspension? Must be better than the stock banshee's..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BANSHEE-350...sspagenameZWDVW

I have those on my bike now but I havent ran them yet. From what I know, the rezzies are more to help with fade, and increase the longevity of the shock. I had Works with remote rezzies and all the stuff they offered, and I never changed anything but the ride height, and they lasted me 4 years, and still had a full charge. I figured Id give the Elkas a shot because everyone raves about them, and they have a higher price tag.

I would definately go with +2+1 arms and shocks like that. The YFZs are nice for recreational riding, but after all is said and done, they arent made for a banshee like +2+1s and the right shocks are, plus the front end sits lower.

First thats a very very sweet deal these guys are offering on Elka shocks. Scoop a set you will not be dissapointed. I used to sell Elkas on here Works and Axis too but everyone bought the Elkas and they made the rite choice for Elka vs Works. Ive rode on Works shocks so many times on so many diffrent bikes (All dirt riding I nenver rode in the dunes) along with Elkas and Custom Axis and Works just arent in the same leauge its actualy a joke compaeing the two up where I ride. Works always seem to be stiff as balls even setup rite compared to the others and alot of the guys bikes I rode are pro MX And GNCC Guys or just seriously good riders and they all have diffrent oppions on whats better between Elka Axis PEP (Though Ive heard most guys say they like PEP for motocross Elka and Axis for other . Most chosing Axis because of the valving you get direct from the company but if you get the rite person to order your Elkas and tell Elka your specifics Elka does just as well at valving as Axis PEP ect (never rode on TCS) but Ive never heard any of them put Works in the same leauge. But everyone is entitled to their oppion.

Now as far as I know Elka doesnt do Tripple rate std travle for the Banshee unless you go with a LT setup and thats ususualy a quad rate setup.(Might be an error with the ebay store people) Banshees call for dual rate Elka shocks because of the length of shocks Banshees call for and I see this company is selling dual rates for 360.00 so talk to them.

If your a weekend warrior and hit up the occasional MX track here and there the basic Elkas is all you really need but if your going to be racing MX I highly recomend a resivior and atleast comp adjustable shocks rebound too actualy for diffrent track conditions and if you ride woods sand ect along with MX Tracks your going to want as many adjustments as you can afford.(I will be racing GNCC alot of diffrent tracks and terrain changes there so I ponyed up saved my ass off and bought Elka Elites all around it was damn expensive though) But at the price they are selling the Elka non Rezzy e36 shocks at you could buy a set if thats all you can afford for now save up for shocks with more adjustments and sell the e36s youll be useing if you decide to go this route (again I highly recomend you do so) and not take a big loss at all for 360.00 for fronts. Like I said great price. Most places are selling the exact same shocks for 450.00.

Like the others said. Start out with pipes. Second id go for a good set or +2+1 or +3+1 a-arms. If you do get the +3s get 4-1 offset rims for less bumpsteer. As for shocks i have elkas and all i can say is i would never go to any other brand other than PEP. They are simply amazing to say the least. Maybe after that get and axle and a -2 swingarm. Then theres the rear shock you can either have it rebuilt for like 450 i believe or get a new one for 650ish. Wish i could help more but if you have any questions send me a message.

What about the +2 a-arms? I take it +2+1 means the top a-arm is an inch shorter? Better handling?

I was thinking about these..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Laegers-Yam...sspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Bans...sspagenameZWDVW

Laeger obviously seems like a name brand so I would probably choose those.

Heres the +2+1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BANSHEE-2-1...sspagenameZWDVW

This seems a little high for my tastes. Maybe get the stock revalved for my weight and riding style?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Elka-Rear-S...sspagenameZWDVW

Then probably after suspension a -2 swinger with some chain and sprockets.

Does this look cheezy to you?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-or-Stock-...sspagenameZWDVW

Does anyone know where I could purchase the trinity 2-1 carb and intake manifold?

I'll most likely build a stainless steel air box. Heavy, but I dont have an aluminum welder.

BTW the banshee I im most likely trading for has SST head pipes and Powercore silencers. I know eventually they will go, but for now, I can make due.

The reed spacers and boost bottle will go, along with the aftermarket PWK28's. The V-force reeds can stay though. Along with the pro-design cool head. I will purchase a +4 axle with I get the swinger though.

After thats all said and done, maybe an aggressive low-mid port.

THEN

fat or flex bars (TALL), riser (TALL), and maybe some ASV's.

That list sounds about right guys?

Let me know. I'm brain storming... hah

My advice would be to keep 28's

My shee has the high end midrange ported barrels on standard bore, bridge cut out of standard reed cages with single reed petals, duncan billet intake, hinson clutch, toomey t5 pipes, 28mil carbs bored out to 30mil and D shaped, vitos cool head with 18cc domes and a custom aluminium airbox and custom piping because of the laeger frame..

On a grass track in a straight line its exactly the same as a 480 duncan/atv world yam 450. Only place i beat him was under breaking.

Point im trying to make is that a banshee engine was made to rev so dont really understand the point in people wanting low down power. Make it rev!

My advice would be get gud suspension to start with. the best you can afford. handleing is more important than power.

the +1 means the a arm is an inch forward

• 3 months later...

if your looking to do mx, get a 450..period...

i dumped 3500 into my banshee getting PEP ZPS shocks all the way around, a arms, axle, swinger, you name it. at the end of the day, the banshee isnt made for mx.

banshees are great quads but they just arent competative in motocross. the money you spend on setting up your banshee, you could almost buy a used 450 with some aftermarket parts.

You guys are missing what he said. He's a weekend worrior, he's not racing competitively.

The first thing I would do is get a -2 swinger, some +2+1 or +3+1 a arms with some decent shocks and an axle. Those are your main concerns. Then a set of FMF gnarly's, PT Mid's, 2-1 pipe or something of that sort. A good steering stabalizer is almost a neccesity also. Will make the riding so much more enjoyable, making you less tired and more consistant. Tires are also something not to be over looked.