very frustrated

hey guys and gals? just got a 2004 banshee. as far as mods its has trinity stage IV pipes, super sports front and back. k and n filter. i cant hardly kick start this thing. after it runs for a while it kicks very easily. i took the gas line off and gas came right out. checked the air screws and one guy on here said they needed to 1 and 1/2 to 2 turns from lightly seated. they were about 1/2 to 3/4 so i loosened them up to where he said. by the way they are very loose. plugs look good . got some new ones coming. gascap line and cap is free of blockage. took the air filter out and pushed in the throttle and the left side carb is a hair quicker than the right side carb flap. it is a very small difference. when i pull out the chokeall the way it goes back in about a 1/4 inch most of the time. lol ive had the wife pull me on the lawnmower to get it started. it will kinda bog a little then itll start running. im to fat to kick on this thing. but after 40 to 50 times i cant feel my legs anymore. thanks for any help

you checked compression yet? one would think it would be ok as its not that old,but low compression could be your problem.....

check your float needles in the carbs to make sure there shutting off when they should. my tri-z does the same thing right now because it's over-fueling. 5 kicks and it's flooded and the only way to get it to start is to tow it and even then it takes 2-3 minuits to clean out. after it's warm you can kick start it but it is still a bitch to get going and if you let it sit long enough to cool down then it's pull start city again. sound's like it's either jetted realy rich or somethings jacked up with the jetting. i'd pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning and make sure the float needles are seating correctly. after that check your compression then leakdown yadda yadda...

yea, check your compression first. also take some gas and pour into the cylinder, just a little, dont drown it, the kick it to see if it starts right up. also check your spark.

well i checked the compression to the best of my ability. it checked at about 90 lbs on each cylinder. i had to kick several times to get it to this reading. is that normal? sorry guys first time ive ever done this. the plugs were dark and oily looking so i changed them. my foot is sore. later

That would explain perfectly why it is so hard to start, if you used a quality compression gauge. It's time for a top end rebuild.

With that low of compression...you need to take the cylinders off and have them measured.

It could only need a hone and set of rings...but it could need to be bored to the next size and pistons/rings replaced.

It all depends on the tolerances...

When my old stock motor had 105PSI or so...it took 10 kicks or so cold to start, once warmed up it took one kick, but it was tired.....

120ish is stock, your top end needs to be freshened up....it's time!

Magic Racing has a good combo deal, pistons, pins, bearings and ALL gaskets needed to do the job for 179 I think.

You just have to get it measured (or mic'd as they say) to see where you end up...

Good luck!!

To be honest...holding the throttle wide open will net you a few more PSI more than likely...so, it's a good idea...

But even if it jumps to 100, it's still low.

Did you keep on kicking until it didn't go up anymore (often can take 20 kicks or more...)

Snap on is what I use as well....it's top end time.