crankcase cover

i am awaiting my clutch, allen head screws and clutch gasket from jeff at fast. i started to remove my cover, kickstart and drain the oil and coolant etc, but 3 of the phillips head bolts that hold the cover on wouldnt come off and became stripped. what should i do?!?? can i cut the head off the bolt and then pull the cover off or do i have to use a tap and die set to remove the bolts? thanks guys!

01shee

go get yourself an extractor from the hardware store, drill a hole the recomended size in the screw head, tap it in in and unscrew it. easy process :cool:

Get a small chisel and put it on the outside edge of the screw and tap it in a counter clockwise motion away fom the case. Hope this helps!

I did the same thing..those screws are really soft metal and strip easy...

Get a drill bit just a little bigger than the shank of the screw....

The philips part of the head should center the drill bit for the most part.....just drill it out and when you get far enough the head of the screw will spin right off.....

Drill all three out, pull the cover off, then take vise grips or pliers and take the shank out.

That is the easiest way to do it I think...

Dave

go get yourself an extractor from the hardware store, drill a hole the recomended size in the screw head, tap it in in and unscrew it. easy process :cool:

haha thanks bro, is an extractor the same as a tap and die set or no? ill pick up an extractor kid first thing tomorrow. anyone on this topic runnin jeffs clutch? im gunna run it with all the HD springs, if you are runnin his clutch i wanna know what you think about it and how well it works etc! thanks guys!! :beer:

I did the same thing..those screws are really soft metal and strip easy...

Get a drill bit just a little bigger than the shank of the screw....

The philips part of the head should center the drill bit for the most part.....just drill it out and when you get far enough the head of the screw will spin right off.....

Drill all three out, pull the cover off, then take vise grips or pliers and take the shank out.

That is the easiest way to do it I think...

Dave

hey dave, thanks for the response! anyways when you say a little bigger than the shank of the screw, you mean the phillips design in the screw? just a little bit confused, i like to know exactly what im doing when i do it. i had a head bolt strip out on my lil bros scrambler 90 motor and i just drilled that one out and i think we tapped it out im not sure i cant remember haha! so get a drill bit that is the size of the phillips design on top of the bolt and drill past the head before it hits the case then the cover will come right off?? then twist the bolts out with a vise grip??

how bad is it if you can tightenit st will loosten up easier & if its not too bad it is just stripped on the left side of the cross

do that in the future also tighten it just till it moves then turn left, there are a few that you can get plyers on at the same tine as the screw driver... good tools make a big difference snap-on ect

how bad is it if you can tightenit st will loosten up easier & if its not too bad it is just stripped on the left side of the cross

do that in the future also tighten it just till it moves then turn left, there are a few that you can get plyers on at the same tine as the screw driver... good tools make a big difference snap-on ect

true, sounds like a plan! hey what kind of mods do you have done to your ws6? my buddy has a 2000 ta non ws6 but with full exhaust and a rear mount turbo with an intercooler, new engine and tranny mounts. it rips pretty good..he is coming home from UTI this december and we are going to rebuild his motor, completly built, all forged internals cam crank bored and a procharger up front hoping to hit about 800 wheel horse next spring

Just do it the way i told you and it wont cost you anything...maybe 50 cents for a drill bit.

when i say shank i mean the part of the screw with threads on it.....

basically you are just drilling the head of the screw out larger than the diameter of the shank...

when you are done you will just have the head of the screw with a hole in it and the shank still screwed into your case......then just break the screw loose with some vise grips.

This is waaaaaaaaaaay to easy to do..you dont need to spend money on a bolt extracter kit..

Dave

Just do it the way i told you and it wont cost you anything...maybe 50 cents for a drill bit.

when i say shank i mean the part of the screw with threads on it.....

basically you are just drilling the head of the screw out larger than the diameter of the shank...

when you are done you will just have the head of the screw with a hole in it and the shank still screwed into your case......then just break the screw loose with some vise grips.

This is waaaaaaaaaaay to easy to do..you dont need to spend money on a bolt extracter kit..

Dave

i think i know what your trying to say. find a drill bit in my tool box that will fit on the bolt end of one of the other bolts that came out of the crankcase? then take that bit and drill the screw out so all i have left is the head on the beginning of my crankcase cover?

sounds like a really good plan and pretty sure thats what we did on the scrambler!

just drill through the head of the screws and then pull the cover off. then when you get the cover off you will have enough of the screw sticking out that you can just grab it with a pair of vice grips and take it out. just be careful when you are drilling and don't drill into the cover.

my reply was quite late. lol.

Edited by nunyabinness

yea sounds like you have the general idea....

you only need to drill it out enough to where the head spins off of the shank......dont try drilling it all the way to the cases...

Just find a drill bit a couple sizes bigger than the shank and drill it out....the head of the screw will spin right off and it will all come together lol....its really simple..dont over think it..

Dave

just drill through the head of the screws and then pull the cover off. then when you get the cover off you will have enough of the screw sticking out that you can just grab it with a pair of vice grips and take it out. just be careful when you are drilling and don't drill into the cover.

and the easiest way to make sure i dont do that is by matching up a bit to the end of the shaft of the bolt? thats what im thinking..