xbox 360 or playstation 3

extreem9

Not to interupt, but I ntoiced above, mention of sound quality HDMI vs Optical. Qualilty may be the same but only an HDMI can transport HD/Lossless audio. For that you need the higher end reciever to be able to translate that HD audio.

I found no where that said optical could not be used for HD sound and no place that said that it can either. I'm not sure on this one. It should be able to keep up with the same data rates penidng the equipment has the ability to read and transfer them. But then again perhpas more wires were added for HD sound, in which case a new type of optical would need to be developed. I'm not sure. Electrical is not as fast as light, but hey the light signals being generated are from an electrical source...

As for HDMI cable I will still have to agree to disagree. It is possible a newer cable will look better, if the cheap cable is not properly transfering the data. This is not an ANALOG signal, it is digital, windings and such make less differences, these are techniques to reduce interfearance and signal loss. Thus the same 0 and 1's will be sent to the reciever with will turn them into the picture you see. Theres no such thing as a higher quality 1 or 0. Again this is not at all the same as it would be for analog cables. This is digital. In this sense I would say that if your new 1.3 or 1.0 cable actualy works better than the one you are replacing then the old one was not working correctly.

Basicaly if you have say 25% signal Strength with 100% signal quality (no losses), you will still not see a difference in picture from a cable sending 90% strength with no losses. This is the beautiy of digital. Analog on the other hand this could make an insainly HUGE difference.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about how you can have a complete 100% transfer of digital information, yet the information has changed somehow. Can that happen? Sure, and what is that and how can cables create or excacerbate the problem? It has to do with sheer design quality.

Think about how you can have a complete 100% transfer of digital information, yet the information has changed somehow. Can that happen? Sure, and what is that and how can cables create or excacerbate the problem? It has to do with sheer design quality.

Yes but over a short distances it's not that hard to transfer a digital signal. BTW by definition a 100% transfer of Digital information means that none of the data has changed(It 10% of the dta has changed then you only have a 90% complete transfer)... I prefer to get higher quality cables myself but only to a certain extent, however I will not pay premiums for them either. Monorpice has good stuff at reasonable prices I would highly recomend them. If you want keep your $5,000 cables and I will have 0% loss with my $30 cable anyways. The difference between the type of cable and quality of cable will often be much more noticable. That said, get the proper cables for the run length and the devices your going to connect.

If it were a single wire transfering data, then this wouldn't be a problem. Think more along the lines of timing of data from one end of the cable to the other over multiple connections. Does the data from these wires come out at one end at the same time together in the same relationship as they entered the cable and are they balanced and equal? If the timing is off then the data has indeed changed, though theoretically it is the same data and 100% of it was completely transfered. Could this possibly affect audio/video quality?

If it were a single wire transfering data, then this wouldn't be a problem. Think more along the lines of timing of data from one end of the cable to the other over multiple connections. Does the data from these wires come out at one end at the same time together in the same relationship as they entered the cable and are they balanced and equal? If the timing is off then the data has indeed changed, though theoretically it is the same data and 100% of it was completely transfered. Could this possibly affect audio/video quality?

I guess, but if wires are all the same size and length and not made out of complete crap then this should not be a problem. Esp over short distances, but of course with HDMI your mixing alot more signals together than if your running seperate audio and video cables... Not saying to buy a $5 HDMI Cable, but not necessary to buy a $5000, or even a $150 cable when you have monoprice around. If your rich they look pretty and may have better sheilding but it's not as important as with analog cables. maybe you could add a boost bottle to it or something to help even out the transfer rate between wires ;)

I have some Monstercable Single Link DVI's I'm using and the picture looks great (paid about 10% of retail for them though lol), although I do think the monoprice cables are at least as good as my monsters. They look and feel about the same, but I had to file down my monster cable DVi connector (Plastic Part) to plug 2 DVI's into my comp when I was running 2 37's which was annoying.

Edited by Justintoxicated

• 2 weeks later...