I am interested in asphalt drags. 1/4 mile.

bbruischart

Does nhra have a wheelbase limit. That seems to be what I have heard alot about outside of this forum. If so what is it. Thanks

60" measured from front spindle centerline to rear axle centerline. Wheelie bar cannot exceed the the wheel base and is measured from the axle centerline to wheelie bar wheel axle centerline. Bryan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I run at either an NHRA or IHRA track. i dont care if there is a class just for quads. I want to race with bikes, sleds, and so on. i really appreciate the help. Did anyone have any input on the use of an airshifter? I cant wait for the first holeshot. My neighbors hate me already. I have got till spring to finish. You answered my main question with can you do it with a shee motor and frame. Now I am wondering if I can run at any track If I pass tech. Can someone show me what all I can chop off the frame. Maybe a pic with some drawings on it. I have somone already to make me an aluminum swingarm. Not sure if there is a length or width rule though. These are my main ques. now. Thanks .

I forgot to add we run with the motorcycles and snowmobiles. They sometimes allow to run with cars when they don't know about the rules. Bryan

i shift WOT w/ clutch, don't know if i wan't to w/o especialy w/ a slamming air shifter, how common is this? i can see the benefit of airshifter w/ overdrive but...

The ignition kill allows it to work without harming the transmission when using an air shifter. We have a 1-4 override and 5 & 6 are manual. We use an ignition kill for the last 2 gears. We have about 300 runs without a trans failure. Bryan

i shift WOT w/ clutch, don't know if i wan't to w/o especialy w/ a slamming air shifter, how common is this? i can see the benefit of airshifter w/ overdrive but...

Thats why it has an ignition overide. A slight drop in rpm while you shift. Its faster than you pulling clutch and hitting the gear. If you have never jammed some gears your not riding aggresively enough. lol :biggrin:

good to know ...just wondering why an override if all you need is air cylinder & 2 step (just haven't heard that before)...your foot doesn't jam 1/2 as hard as a cylinder :thumbsup: makes sence w/ 1-4 override and 5 & 6

A full override is the way to go, but when we built the quad 6 speed overrides were not that reliable. Bryan

Guys guess what. My dad is a top contender at my local track and is also the michigan ironman. He races cars. He just called me about 5 minutes ago. The track owner who is a friend of his said that they would only let me run the 1/8. I am not going to do it because I would be the jackass sitting there by myself at the light. I guess I am leaving the quad scene. All the sand drag tracks are to far away and I really wanted to start hanging out with my dad again. I am really sad. This just ruined my good day. So long partners I am going to post my shee for sale on her tomorrow. I will get pics.

Its a 96 with .20 over top. 2into1. fmf fattys and turbine cores. All powdercoated. a arm and front skid plates. raptor plastic. new clutch and springs, cable and pirch. new brakes all the way around. holeshot on all 4. Full set of sand tires. Lockout clutch cover. No lockout though. ac nerfs with heelguards and propegs. Tether. Stock gearing. works front shocks. stock rear. All new a arm and swingarm bushings. No airbox with outerwear. I have gone through the entire quad. I dont know what I want yet. possible trade for sled or bike. It is very clean. I am located in michigan.

Thanks for all the help guys

You can't just give up when you haven't tried it first.

I have over 100 passes running 1/8 mile on a 1/4 mile track. A lot of them, I have been alone. But when people see a quad running very fast down a track. They love it and talk about it for a long time.

People will come up to you and ask you questions about your dragger.

It's great exposure for the sport.

Plus in time, you won't be racing alone.

There is a lot of asphalt draggers in Michigan. Rob from RDZ is one.

But also think this. Can you handle racing the 1/4 mile at speeds over 110mph?? Can your dragger handle the high speeds??

The tracks are thinking of your safety. Thats why the rule.

I have been to some of biggest NHRA tracks in the country that only let quads run the 1/8 mile. But once they see that I can handle high speeds. They let me run the 1/4 mile.

So, don't give up.

yeah i'm on the fence, ive heard they have prob's w/ 6th though

A 1-6 override can be reliable IF you use it right. You MUST come to a literal complete stop....then down shift.

There are other ways to do it...they offer straight cut gears with different ratios allowing you to run different gearing setups.

You can get an axle with a Honda Style sprocket hub and run a smaller rear sprocket...

I personally wouldn't want to worry about a 1-6 with the other options available...

Guys guess what. My dad is a top contender at my local track and is also the michigan ironman. He races cars. He just called me about 5 minutes ago. The track owner who is a friend of his said that they would only let me run the 1/8. I am not going to do it because I would be the jackass sitting there by myself at the light. I guess I am leaving the quad scene. All the sand drag tracks are to far away and I really wanted to start hanging out with my dad again. I am really sad. This just ruined my good day. So long partners I am going to post my shee for sale on her tomorrow. I will get pics.

Its a 96 with .20 over top. 2into1. fmf fattys and turbine cores. All powdercoated. a arm and front skid plates. raptor plastic. new clutch and springs, cable and pirch. new brakes all the way around. holeshot on all 4. Full set of sand tires. Lockout clutch cover. No lockout though. ac nerfs with heelguards and propegs. Tether. Stock gearing. works front shocks. stock rear. All new a arm and swingarm bushings. No airbox with outerwear. I have gone through the entire quad. I dont know what I want yet. possible trade for sled or bike. It is very clean. I am located in michigan.

Thanks for all the help guys

Where do you live in MI? there are good sand tracks all over the state...unless you're a Yooper...then you gotta haul!!

alright almost set up 1/8 mile, for what i got ( my stocker for now ,till my draggers done)

gonna lower the rear alittle more (hooking a little to good)had to air my tires WAY up to get some spin & they are ballooned way to tall now, & i'm going through the traps just barely in5th...the foot print doesn't bother me because i'm hooking, but i want to lower the psi ( to shorten the tire)then i'll be back to hooking too good ...my question is what should i goal for, as far as, going through the traps maxed out in - 4,5,6,? & if 5 or 6th why do you guys run 1-4 overides?... i'm not bogging outa the hole even then i let off (due to lifting to high)my best pass was 9.40et, 2.04 60', @ 71.58mph...i'm wanting to gear down, to help lessen traction, after i lower the tire psi back down, which will alow for 5-6th gear through the traps ( well don't want to, but think that will help both problems the most??) or will this not help my et's at all & i should just spin alittle more & go through in 4th+ ??

thanks Dave

alright almost set up 1/8 mile, for what i got ( my stocker for now ,till my draggers done)

gonna lower the rear alittle more (hooking a little to good)had to air my tires WAY up to get some spin & they are ballooned way to tall now, & i'm going through the traps just barely in5th...the foot print doesn't bother me because i'm hooking, but i want to lower the psi ( to shorten the tire)then i'll be back to hooking too good ...my question is what should i goal for, as far as, going through the traps maxed out in - 4,5,6,? & if 5 or 6th why do you guys run 1-4 overides?... i'm not bogging outa the hole even then i let off (due to lifting to high)my best pass was 9.40et, 2.04 60', @ 71.58mph...i'm wanting to gear down, to help lessen traction, after i lower the tire psi back down, which will alow for 5-6th gear through the traps ( well don't want to, but think that will help both problems the most??) or will this not help my et's at all & i should just spin alittle more & go through in 4th+ ??

thanks Dave

OK, been drag racing for many years and all the top runners use all the gears. They try and hit peak hp rpm 300'-400' before the finish line for best ET. The problem is for the 1/8 mile is with the steep gear it causes traction issues. As for the 1-4 overrides, we will go to the 1-6 when we can afford it. They were not very dependable or people didn't know how to use them in the past. We always tend to carry a little wheel speed when we run the 1/4 mile and is probably needed for the 1/8. Our best 60' has been 1.46, best 1/8 mile 6.40, best 1/4 mile 10.82 and highest mph 115.99. Bryan

The problem is for the 1/8 mile is with the steep gear it causes traction issues.

I have been staying with the 1/4 mile gearing for the 1/8 mile. I have a 1-5 tranny. 1/4 mile gearing is at a 1:89 sprocket ratio. 10.38@119mph in the 1/4 mile. 6.31@110mph in the 1/8 mile. Running 1/8 mile just using 1-4 in the tranny.

• 11 months later...
I read the post on planet asphault. I am not interested in this guys site. I want answers from the people I have begun to trust. Besides I went to that page. It sucks.No info that could get me started. I have no idea even where to begin or what to expect out of a stock cylinder, ported motor. I would probably go with the solid mount suspension. It seems to be the cheapest route. Really interested in this subject. Wondering how much motor could get me where if tuned right. Open to all information. Thanks guys.

my bike is a stock bore 350 stock stroke with a decent port job rocket pipes exhaust 16 frnt and 41 rear with american racers 10 inch swinger minor bolt ons and went a best of 12.9 with a bad clutch 145 psi on 112 octane