anyone with late 80's suburban knowledge

Right now its just a stock suspension 89, but over this winter its going to get a 2-4" lift and some 33's or 35's. Right now the person that owned it before me had the shop put on the cheapest, weakest one they could get and its just not holding the way I want it to. Looking for something that can keep up with this big ol lead slug goin down the road.

Go with "SkyJacker", I have that in my 85, if your gonna run 35's you will need at least 6" lift, your front tires will rub on the corner of your fenders when turning if not...I actually ran 6" over my 33's and added another 1" for my 35's, but they also have good shocks and steering stabilizers.

are you running the dual stabilizer or the single stabilizer?

Do you think I can get away with running 33's with a 4 inch lift?

I personally dont have a problem running a bigger lift, but its my girl's truck and she's only 5' 2". Wonder how it'd look and how hard it would be to get in with some nice step bars on the side of it with a 6 inch lift.

Got any pics of your burb?

I'd like to eventually get an airbag setup for all 4 corners, and that would get rid of the whole get in the truck thing. It's not actually ever gonna see off the road unless she ends up in a ditch in the snow. I'm getting a jeep to offroad with for that. I just need something for the next couple years because the springs all the way around are completely shot from being overloaded....and from 89.

Wanna get back into doing stereo stuff and the burb is a big platform to implement the stereo I have had sitting in a box for the last 5 years. Gonna end up glassing the whole interior, shaving the handles and tail lights.....dont know what I'll end up doing with the tailgate, might convert to electrically opening barn doors.

So yeah....I got plans for it.....but for right now all it needs is a friggin stabilizer, a lift, and some bigger tires (the tires are barely rated for the truck and are the stock size that makes them look like trailer tires on that massive body)

Mine is a pickup that I did up when I was in high school, 4" over 33's will work fine but I abuse my stuff a lil bit, therfore my tires would hit. I ran the dual stabilzer but I don't think it really did shit when your running 35's, so I took it back off. Those old square body chevy's ride stiff when you get any lift in them, and it seems they just kinda have a bounciness to them and kinda wander a lil, just my experience.

Here is a pic of it after I had re did it in 1997

1982GMC.jpg

At the time I had some 35 x 14.5 x 15 Super Swamper Boggers under it with just a 6" skyjacker lift and the fronts would hit.

That truck since then has had in order 2 different 350's, a 400, another 350, and back to a stock 400.

A different set of 1/2 ton axles, a 3/4 ton set of axles, and now the final set of 1/2 ton axles.

3 different 700r4 trannies, 1 TH 350 tranny, now it has none.........

The truck just sits it my Dads barn with no box, no tranny or transfer case and is not running :sad:

It now has 7" of total lift with some 35 x 12.5 x 15 wild coutry tires on it, I took the facctory Rallye wheels and had them cut on a big lathe actually 8 rims in total, and re welded the two deep halves together to make them 15 x 12 rims, that helped give the tires some bulk, the next set I do will be 15 x 14.

Mine is a pickup that I did up when I was in high school, 4" over 33's will work fine but I abuse my stuff a lil bit, therfore my tires would hit. I ran the dual stabilzer but I don't think it really did shit when your running 35's, so I took it back off. Those old square body chevy's ride stiff when you get any lift in them, and it seems they just kinda have a bounciness to them and kinda wander a lil, just my experience.

Here is a pic of it after I had re did it in 1997

1982GMC.jpg

At the time I had some 35 x 14.5 x 15 Super Swamper Boggers under it with just a 6" skyjacker lift and the fronts would hit.

That truck since then has had in order 2 different 350's, a 400, another 350, and back to a stock 400.

A different set of 1/2 ton axles, a 3/4 ton set of axles, and now the final set of 1/2 ton axles.

3 different 700r4 trannies, 1 TH 350 tranny, now it has none.........

The truck just sits it my Dads barn with no box, no tranny or transfer case and is not running :sad:

It now has 7" of total lift with some 35 x 12.5 x 15 wild coutry tires on it, I took the facctory Rallye wheels and had them cut on a big lathe actually 8 rims in total, and re welded the two deep halves together to make them 15 x 12 rims, that helped give the tires some bulk, the next set I do will be 15 x 14.

dang rzbansheeman you have done some serious swapping around! question why go from 3/4 ton back to half ton ? just curios and curios what you thought of the gear ratious with the TH 350 with out OD over the 700r4s?

dang rzbansheeman you have done some serious swapping around! question why go from 3/4 ton back to half ton ? just curios and curios what you thought of the gear ratious with the TH 350 with out OD over the 700r4s?

Because I always ran 15" rims, even 3/4 tons with the -2 offset, and they just stuck out too damn far. the truck was extremely wandery on our Michigan roads (they get troughs in them from the big trucks from spring thaw, and with the wheel width like I had, the tires would pull one way or another trying to climb the troughs). I like the looks of the factory rallye wheels the best on the square bodies any ways

As for the tranny, LOL. I couldn't get anybody worth a FUCK that could rebuild a 700r to hold up to a healthy 400 Small Block, so I tried out a TH 350 and hated that gay thing, so I sold that. If I ever get the money to redo the truck again it will most likely get a TCI super streetfighter 700 or a Raptor 700.

I'm in the process of finishing up my "462" Big block with over 500 hp that I want to put in it (just imagine the tranny problems with something like this), but will probably sell it :sad: to pay off some debt and finish my Banshee.

I've got the 15" rally rims on the burban, the outer rings are all banged up on them though :down: . Been looking to get some nice looking rings for them and keeping them. Something about them is just cool.

You cant find a race shop that does trans work on 80's style trans am's?

My buddy has his stock tranny, with all racing internals (only cost like a little over a grand I believe) in his GTA and he's got his supercharged and pretty worked and the tranny holds up fine.

I think I'm gonna go with 33's and a 4 inch lift. The 35's with a 6 inch look good, but with my girl driving it all the time, and how much the 35's fill out the wheel well, The 33's should still tuck inside it pretty good.