spacer plate location

PSYKO

you do not run an extra basegasket.. you run the plate as if it was the only basegasket.. so basically its no diff then a base gasket.just thicker. how is this any diff from any banshee motor..

the only spacer plate motor I've ever had my hands on, had the plate and 2 base gaskets. that motor was f'd from the get go though, so maybe they just didn't know any better. i had to take the plate out and get domes cut to get the port timings down from being ridiculous because it had been ported for a stock stroke.

the only spacer plate motor I've ever had my hands on, had the plate and 2 base gaskets. that motor was f'd from the get go though, so maybe they just didn't know any better. i had to take the plate out and get domes cut to get the port timings down from being ridiculous because it had been ported for a stock stroke.

Spacer plates are known for causing air leaks, hence my previous comments. :geek:

a spacer plate should require 2 gaskets, how can you run one gasket on two differant surfaces?

like odean said the whole thing with the plate is it give one more place for the motor to leak from ...also are you sure your builder actually ported your jugs? you "can" run stock porting with the plate, its just going to be a joke. if there was no port work done, look into having them ported for the new stroke and get more of the hidden potental out of that motor

Edited by Bansh-eman

a spacer plate should require 2 gaskets, how can you run one gasket on two differant surfaces?

like odean said the whole thing with the plate is it give one more place for the motor to leak from ...also are you sure your builder actually ported your jugs? you "can" run stock porting with the plate, its just going to be a joke. if there was no port work done, look into having them ported for the new stroke and get more of the hidden potental out of that motor

I was bs'ing with Wes on the phone tonight talking about the dunes this weekend and he brought this up. Basically, he runs no gasket, and yamabonds the spacer, or whatever that grey shit is called. My brain is fried from being tired as shit. Either way, spacer plate or not, the bastard will run hard as long as the porting is setup for it. All motors should be leak-down tested after assembly, so it really shouldn't be an issue.

I would be curious to see the pros/cons aside from the base gasket air leak. I've heard of builders putting epoxy in the cases if the transfer tunnels have been opened enough to keep the crankcase volume in check, so I wonder if adding the plate would be enough to warrant such a thing.

Some builders just like zero deck height motors, I think I read something from Calvin Pollet about this. If I recall, he was in favor of having zero deck height.

It is definitely more economical, since you can run your stock head or domes and not have to get them cut.

Who knows? :banghead:

I have herd of people running no gaskets at all. Just yamabond the cylinders to the cases. Really what is the difference. You dont use any gasket inbetween case halfs and the cases are subjected to the same pressure and chemicals as the base of the cylinder. I run a gasket so I can sleep at night though. :thumbsup:

well the yamabond is acting as the gasket so thats why you dont need it. but bar metal on bare metal is asking for failure.

i know for a fact when guy toss a plate on there and just run stock porting the motor is a joke. as long as the builder has actually changed the port timings the only down fall is really just another surface to leak from.

well the yamabond is acting as the gasket so thats why you dont need it. but bar metal on bare metal is asking for failure.

i know for a fact when guy toss a plate on there and just run stock porting the motor is a joke. as long as the builder has actually changed the port timings the only down fall is really just another surface to leak from.

hmm the cases are metal to metal, so is many other things, probably why they use sealant to makes sure nothing leaks out. hence the use of ultra gray or yamabond, etc

if a guy puts a 4mm crank and a plate with no porting then he deserves for it to run like ass. why even dick with it if your not going to do it correctly.

and the plate motors i put together and seen usually the ones of jims, you put the bottom end together, spread ultra gray, yamabond, whatever, plate, spread ultra gray on top of the plate, then spread some on the bottom of the jugs with your fingers lightly, put jugs on the studs and torque down, let it setup, its basically completely seals up the whole thing, if it leaks its because you didnt put the ultra gray down correctly. like caulking your houses basically just seals up motors.

I run yamabond on my stock head, cut and oringed for my cub....no issues. Just make sure you put it on the cases, both sides of the spacer and the base of the cylinders, and DO NOT use it sparingly....goop it on.

That being said...if you have to change your squish via base gaskets, though...you'll have to use gaskets...

Bottom line is mock up the motor first.

I have herd of people running no gaskets at all. Just yamabond the cylinders to the cases. Really what is the difference. You dont use any gasket inbetween case halfs and the cases are subjected to the same pressure and chemicals as the base of the cylinder. I run a gasket so I can sleep at night though. :thumbsup:

IF you are not going to run a gasket and jest use a gasket sealer you absolutely have to understand the thinckness of the OEM gasket and have your porting and head adjusted to compensate for the lesser thickness of the gasket sealer. You also need tobe sure that the bases of the cylinders and the face of the cases are true (they are usually not). :geek: