Shee was running then stopped! Need help.

PSYKO

So me and my buddy in our spare time have been building me a stroker motor, everything new and aftermarket. Well we got it all together yesterday. It ran like shit, but neither of us know much about the 28mm PWKs that came with the shee when I bought it, we do know Mikuni carbs,,,,so we put the stock mikunis on with 280 jets since his stroker shee uses 280s, It had no balls whatsoever. We put 320s in there and that fucker was fast,,,,it would kill his stroker shee. So we took it to the local riding spot and I got about 30 yards then the fucker studdered and died. We've spent the past 7 hours fucking with it and doing everything we know and reeming the clymers manual and nothing has worked. We did put 290 jets in...decreased the timing to 6 degrees and moved the needles up one notch.....it fired but it wont even try to run. We checked the pistons..rings...crank....jugs....head...reeds...carbs...pipes for being clogged....all of the wiring looks good. It is now beyond our knowledge as to whats wrong so any suggestions you guys might have or know the problem please help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

what fuel you running? Whats the other jetting, pilots etc? And what exactly happened when it died when you were riding?

The pilot is 25, the mains have been 280..ran like shit...320..ran like a raped ape...and now 290 but it wont run. The mixture is 32:1 with Yamalube. When I took off in 1st it hit powerband instantly then into 2nd then 3rd and I slowed down waiting on my buddy geared down to 2nd then a few seconds later it started studdering like I didnt have the fuel turned on and then it died. So I looked at my fuel valve and it was already on reserve with over half a tank of fresh gas. I turned it to on instead of reserve and tried to fire it again...nothing.

first I would say go back to the 320's at least, even though sound small but I wouldnt stay under the 300 mark for jetting. COuld prob bump up the pilot as well and mess with the needle. I would check the float levels and clean the carbs out real well again and keep trying. What octane you running as well with your mix?

Def go over your Electrical stuff as well, could be an ign coil or something, dealt with an issue like that before. Also do you have all the switches on the bars still? I have seen the kill switch get crimped and ground out.

This might be a shot in the dark buts its worth a try.Once on my son's bike basically the same thing happened and the problem ended up being that one of the two wires going to the coil [1 orange and 1 black] the orange wire had rubbed up against the exhaust pipe and kinda melted itself to the pipe.The bike wouldn't start for shit....Its worth a look.

Mark

This might be a shot in the dark buts its worth a try.Once on my son's bike basically the same thing happened and the problem ended up being that one of the two wires going to the coil [1 orange and 1 black] the orange wire had rubbed up against the exhaust pipe and kinda melted itself to the pipe.The bike wouldn't start for shit....Its worth a look.

Mark

I hope thats all it is! I will check all of this out but I cant do it till I get back from Utah next Thursday. Thanks guys!!!

you said that you kicked the timing back down to +6 and your running 91 octain fuel, what were you originaly running your timing at? even at +6 i think you need to be running something more than 91 octain fuel. did it sound like it was detonating when it was running good? also i think fox_forma is on the right track for jetting. i'd have at least a set of 320 mains with 30 pilots and middle clip on the needles for that motor. my main question is have you done a compression test and a leak down test? if so what were your results and if not do them. with your advanced timing and the octain rating of the fuel your using i would want to rule out the possibility that you had detonation and it burnt a hole through one of your pistons. the only way to figure it out is to do a compression test. if thats good then make sure you havent got a major air leak somewhere by doing a leak down test. if both tests pass with flying colors and theres no obvious signs like burnt wiring harness or loose connections then it's time to break out the manual and the volt meter. hopefully it's something realy trivial and easy but if you had your timing jacked up on 91 octain fuel i'm worried you may have smoked a piston... and i'm sure you've pulled your fuel lines and opened the petcock to confirm you have good flow from the tank.

Edited by swrbansheeboy

also i think fox_forma is on the right track for jetting. i'd have at least a set of 320 mains with 30 pilots and middle clip on the needles for that motor.

You gotta take the elevation into account he is in Grand Junction not at sea level.

Check compresion

Is the frame Powdercoated?? You need a grounding strap from the motor to the frame where bare metel is. Not just the grounds on the wiring harness. Sometimes that makes the difference.