why are 4 strokes more reliable

either me or one of my friends rides it everyday. i can promise you that. on saturdays and sundays it gets ridden alot more. it gets 12 hours or more a weekend. Me and a couple a friends were talking about this lastnight which is kinda weird. if i dont ride it when i come home from work, my buddy Walt does. he ajusted the valves once on it since ive had it. i was saying its gotta have between 1600 and 2000 hours, but all my buddies called bullshit on that. when its sitting on Walts Farm he rides when ever hes bored and it gets ridden from 3:30 til dark. the guys at the local dealer called it a freak. i just think it because i take good care of it and no one is riding it around banging it on the rev limiter.

Ricky Carmichael rides alot more than 2 hours a day. hes the best in the world! a bunch my buddies ride more than that everyday and only 1 was able to go Pro. he cant even compare to Ricky.

Well...if you or someone rides it a few hours a day nonstop...and a lot on weekends...yeah, you got a ton of hours on it. That's a lot of riding.

When Ricky rode for Honda, he put two 45 lap motos in a day at their supercross track. Average lap times were just over a minute (compared to most supercross tracks of just under a minute)

Keep in mind a main event is 22 laps I believe... That's less than what he practices daily...

So...that's an hour and a half a day...give or take...

Plus what he rides on practice/race sessions at the event.

RC is the GOAT, no doubt about it....I've watched his career since he was a Jr. Rider....I've followed supercross for over 20 years.

Stewart is fast, but I don't think he will ever have 3 perfect seasons outdoors....

Plus whatever he ride

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a properly maintained 2 stroke will last just as long if not longer between rebuilds as a thumper.jetted correctly. i have seen 65 hp banshee motors last 5 years without a rebuild. with very little compression loss.it is all about the level of preventative maint done.jetting, checking boots and such for airleaks, checking for loose bolts.thats a myth.

That's what I say too, I had a 94 yz 125 that I beat the shit out of, never checked the compression, but it still ran(never rebuilt) in 01 when I gave it away because it looked so bad. ATV engines in general don't ast as long as say a car, because even if you ride them respobsibly it's still a fuck of a lot more stress. Your always bringing the revs up and down, or running it wide open, nobody I know really putts along at say a steady 3k RPM.

I think the myth comes from people not jetting right, you have a lot more leeway on a 4stroke as far a jetting goes, on a 2stroke your gonna have to be a lot closer.

This is a little redundent but, I agree with whats been said so far.

newer four strokes rev just as high as most 2 strokes and just as fast. Hell, my buddy just got GSX that revs out at 16,000rpm, and it will make power all the way up.

THE MAIN REASON

Technology - With how the world is trying to go green no one is putting the R&D into 2 strokes because they produce a lot more harmful fumes compared to fourstrokes. If companies put as much R&d into 2-strokes as they did fourstrokes then they would be just as reliable.

2 strokes are old technology

just my thought

one

i dont see how 4 strokes are any more reliable. especially in the atv world. there are MANY more moving parts on the newer 4 strokes. that means there is a greater chance something will break. banshee motors are about as simple as you can get. if you put it together right, its unlikely youll have a problem for a long ass time.

....inherant reliability is up to the retard who owns the engine. :biggrin:

This is a little redundent but, I agree with whats been said so far.

newer four strokes rev just as high as most 2 strokes and just as fast. Hell, my buddy just got GSX that revs out at 16,000rpm, and it will make power all the way up.

THE MAIN REASON

Technology - With how the world is trying to go green no one is putting the R&D into 2 strokes because they produce a lot more harmful fumes compared to fourstrokes. If companies put as much R&d into 2-strokes as they did fourstrokes then they would be just as reliable.

2 strokes are old technology

just my thought

one

4 strokes dont NOT rev as high as 2 strokes. period. there is no differance in new or old. its still the same principals.when i raced our 4 stroks turned between 4-5k rpms. our 2 strokes any where from 9-10k or 13-14k depending on which track we where riding on

Edited by Bansh-eman

as said earlier ..2 or 4 stroke alike ,the engine will only be as reliable as the person whos maintaining it .....only real difference is that a 4 poke will run like shit longer before it finally lets loose than a 2 stroke would :biggrin:

4 strokes dont NOT rev as high as 2 strokes. period. there is no differance in new or old. its still the same principals.when i raced our 4 stroks turned between 4-5k rpms. our 2 strokes any where from 9-10k or 13-14k depending on which track we where riding on

My lawn tractor turns 5k.. :biggrin:

What were you racing?

I was tuning on the Outlaw 525 last night and I datalogged RPMs up into 10k. So unless my RPM transfer function was off, which is possible since I just rigged it all together last night and made two quick runs in the dark..... With the 175 main I was getting 13.5:1 to 14:1 af at that RPM. Scary lean at idle, more than normal pegging the wideband lean. I need more fuel down there.

I was tuning on the Outlaw 525 last night and I datalogged RPMs up into 10k. So unless my RPM transfer function was off, which is possible since I just rigged it all together last night and made two quick runs in the dark..... With the 175 main I was getting 13.5:1 to 14:1 af at that RPM. Scary lean at idle, more than normal pegging the wideband lean. I need more fuel down there.

"4 strokes dont NOT rev as high as 2 strokes. period. there is no differance in new or old. its still the same principals.when i raced our 4 stroks turned between 4-5k rpms. our 2 strokes any where from 9-10k or 13-14k depending on which track we where riding on" .....Bansh-eman

B*LLLLLSH*TTTTT dude, I know for 100% that my bros YFZ turns at 12,500, my LTR turns a little less with the stock rev limiter. Where you racing big block v-8's... those are about the only engine that you can turn 4-5k rpms and still call it racing. If you were racing your quad at 4-5k rpm YOU probably lost everyrace.

I am NOT saying that four strokes rev our higher or faster, I am simply saying with the current trends, eventually 4 strokes will be just as fast, cc's VS cc's.

lata

one

My first Banshee was a 1992 that I bought used from a friend. I traded this thing for a 1985 Z-28 in 2002 and believe it or not, that thing was still on the original topendand completely stock other than the direct K&N replacement.

It always had either premium pump or av-gas run thru it mixed with hp2 fully synthetic. This thing saw regular dune abuse at Silver Lake also.

I was one that always thought that 2 strokes were less reliable, but this thing proved me wrong big time.

I do believe that both 2 and 4 stroke engines of proior decades were less reliable due to the lack of technology that we have today. Todays engines have better port layouts - better cam profiles - better valve trains - better materials - better balancing, and last but not least "fuel injection", netting broader and efficient horsepower and longer life. :thumbsup:

I wish all the "good ole 2 strokers" could be revived with the addition of fuel injection, I do believe however that because most people don't understand it or how it works, that the there will not be many people converting to it. :confused:

My first Banshee was a 1992 that I bought used from a friend. I traded this thing for a 1985 Z-28 in 2002 and believe it or not, that thing was still on the original topendand completely stock other than the direct K&N replacement.

It always had either premium pump or av-gas run thru it mixed with hp2 fully synthetic. This thing saw regular dune abuse at Silver Lake also.

I was one that always thought that 2 strokes were less reliable, but this thing proved me wrong big time.

I do believe that both 2 and 4 stroke engines of proior decades were less reliable due to the lack of technology that we have today. Todays engines have better port layouts - better cam profiles - better valve trains - better materials - better balancing, and last but not least "fuel injection", netting broader and efficient horsepower and longer life. :thumbsup:

I wish all the "good ole 2 strokers" could be revived with the addition of fuel injection, I do believe however that because most people don't understand it or how it works, that the there will not be many people converting to it. :confused:

I would convert to fuel injection in a heartbeat. I know of at least two other members on this forum that are well versed in EFI applications. But what makes you think Fuel injection would revive two strokes? Besides making tuning a whole lot easier. From what I have seen on current production fuel injected ATV's most companies have opted to use a speed density FI setup which is not ideal for making two strokes more EPA compliant. But what do you want to have a mass air meter and o2 feedback on an ATV. I just don't think it would be practical for the kind of enviroment ATV's are subjected to. I don't think Fuel injection will net longer life to an properly tuned engine. Perhaps it would defer some laziness of ATV riders being able to compensate for altitude changes without re jetting ect.

Speed Density from a performacne point of view would be preferable due to it's limited sensor feedback, just not form a EPA compliance view. Which is the real reason why two strokes are on their way out.

" why are 4-strokes more reliable than two strokes"

Because the people who own them are gay and homos are really easy on their bikes. They give them names like "thor" and "funbuns" and rub them with a diaper every nite before bedtime..

You are off your meds again, aren't you?

LOL....

:yelrotflmao: :yelrotflmao:

I've got three boxes full of broken YFZ parts that say both of my Banshees are more reliable than my 3 YFZ non functioning motors :yelrotflmao: :yelrotflmao: . However, the some YFZ motors are junk and prone to failure anyway up to the 2006 year models imo. I know people that have countless hours on 04 models that are fine, but they may have just been put together better at the yahama factory..........maybe on a day when no one was hung over. :evil: :tongue: