1997 with Keihn carbs NEED HELP !

Snipe99

I just got this quad today and knew getting it that it needed some carb attention. I was able to clean the carbs and get it running but now it wont rev out. It gets so high the breaks up and stutters and has no top end. Riding at low rpm's its fine and has good response. If you get on it hard it bogs out and breaks up. What am I missing could this be a simple adjustment? Quad only has minor mods. new full exaulst system and the carbs were put on to match up with the exaulst setup. Was told ran fine when last riden 6months ago. I put fresh fuel and now im not sure where to start. Any Ideas???

what main jet and pilot are in the carbs? what EXACTLY are your mods? what is the temperature where you are and at what elevation are you? these things need to be known before we can accurately help you with your problem.

Everything is on the link I gave, for him and his bike it's the best time investement he can make, he need to be able to tune his bike.

Everything is on the link I gave, for him and his bike it's the best time investement he can make, he need to be able to tune his bike.

Not to be an ass but his bike has Keihin Carbs on it. I know it doesnt change how you jet it but there is absolutley no information on that web page about Kehin Carbs.

You want a real keihin tech page go to DRI's web page.

DRI's Keihin Jetting LINK

who the fuck are you? i asked for his specific jetting, not some dumbass comment from you giving a link thats not gonna help him. so shut up unless you have something valuable to add to the post, which we can see you dont. so you might as well just shut up.

snipe, get me that info and i can get your jetting fixed for you.

who the fuck are you? i asked for his specific jetting, not some dumbass comment from you giving a link thats not gonna help him. so shut up unless you have something valuable to add to the post, which we can see you dont. so you might as well just shut up.

snipe, get me that info and i can get your jetting fixed for you.

Ok guys I tried to get the info you needed to help my issue. Also thanks for the links it all helps I need to learn about my quad im grateful to you guys for that info. Im new at the Banshee thing so here is what I found. It has a Toomeys's 5 pipes and mufflers. A K&N filter with the cover removed from filter box with just the bag around filter. I did not remove the Main Jets yet so I dont know what that are. The pilot jets are #55 I did look at them. Also I do believe they are 35mm Keihin carbs. It has what I guessing a boost bottle Not sure if thats factory or thats aftermarket item that comes on stock. I know this is not much to go on but the guy I bought this from it was all done when he bought it. I will try to get more info this week for you guys thanks again for all your help..

Snipe

Ok guys I tried to get the info you needed to help my issue. Also thanks for the links it all helps I need to learn about my quad im grateful to you guys for that info. Im new at the Banshee thing so here is what I found. It has a Toomeys's 5 pipes and mufflers. A K&N filter with the cover removed from filter box with just the bag around filter. I did not remove the Main Jets yet so I dont know what that are. The pilot jets are #55 I did look at them. Also I do believe they are 35mm Keihin carbs. It has what I guessing a boost bottle Not sure if thats factory or thats aftermarket item that comes on stock. I know this is not much to go on but the guy I bought this from it was all done when he bought it. I will try to get more info this week for you guys thanks again for all your help..

Snipe

OK I took my carb apart to clean again. My main jet is #182 that sound like that may be the problem that sounds a bit small for the mods I have on quad mentioned in earlier post. The pilot jet is #55

Yea if you have dual keihin carbs the #182 main jet is your problem. That is way to big for a dual carb set up. You should be in the ball park of 160-150. And a pilot jet size around 48-52 for PJ's or 48-42 for PWK's. Check and see what needles you have in them. Just take the needle out and up at the top there should be 3 letters stamped on them. CEK needles work pretty good in PJ carbs or CEL's in PWK carbs.

The easiest way to tell bewteen PJ and PWK carbs is how you adjust the idle speed. On PJ's you turn the choak nob. On PWK's there is a screw that is anged up that you turn and it lifts the slide up.

PJ's also say Keihin verticaly where PWK's says Keihin horizontly.

This is my old PJ Carb setup.

BossIntake2.jpg

Thsi is my PWK 33mm carb setup

103_1864.jpg

103_1854.jpg

Yea if you have dual keihin carbs the #182 main jet is your problem. That is way to big for a dual carb set up. You should be in the ball park of 160-150. And a pilot jet size around 48-52 for PJ's or 48-42 for PWK's. Check and see what needles you have in them. Just take the needle out and up at the top there should be 3 letters stamped on them. CEK needles work pretty good in PJ carbs or CEL's in PWK carbs.

The easiest way to tell bewteen PJ and PWK carbs is how you adjust the idle speed. On PJ's you turn the choak nob. On PWK's there is a screw that is anged up that you turn and it lifts the slide up.

Thanks for the info I have the PWK's carbs on mine. as for the needle im not sure. I will check on that tonight after work. What needle should I get also I will just buy all I need while im there Saturday morning. I found a ATV dealer about 30min from my house that has all the jets that I need for the Keihin PWK carbs. My question is should I get a few extra size's other than what you mention'ed.

Like you said I need 150-160 should I also get the 170-180 jets too? same deal with the pilot jets you said 42-48 should I get next set up also?

Do you know what size the carbs are?. Keihin also makes a 35mm PWK Air Striker carb. They have 4 vents. The two that come out of the sides like mine. Then they have two that go up and make a loop and come donw the other side. Air Sriker carbs also have a two little fins on the front side of the carb. Here is a Pic of an A.S. Carb.

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

See what needles are in your carbs now.

PWK33mm carbs come with CGL

PWK35mm carbs come with DGK

PWK35mm A.S. come with DEK

Most people that run the regular PWK33 or 35mm carbs run a CEL needle. If you dont have a pair of those then you will need some of them.

As for mains I would get two of each.

148, 150, 152, 155, 158, 160

Pilots: Two of each

42, 45, 48, 52

That will give you a good selection of jets to play with. This is what I am running on my 4mill 400cc Patriot Racing Drag Ported Stock Cylinder motor.

Main 165

Pilot 48

Needle CEL

Clip Postion middle

Air screw 2.5 turns out.

If your were running a single carb your jetting would be up in the 190's for main, and pilot jet around 55.

Do you know what size the carbs are?. Keihin also makes a 35mm PWK Air Striker carb. They have 4 vents. The two that come out of the sides like mine. Then they have two that go up and make a loop and come donw the other side. Air Sriker carbs also have a two little fins on the front side of the carb. Here is a Pic of an A.S. Carb.

See what needles are in your carbs now.

PWK33mm carbs come with CGL

PWK35mm carbs come with DGK

PWK35mm A.S. come with DEK

Most people that run the regular PWK33 or 35mm carbs run a CEL needle. If you dont have a pair of those then you will need some of them.

As for mains I would get two of each.

148, 150, 152, 155, 158, 160

Pilots: Two of each

42, 45, 48, 52

That will give you a good selection of jets to play with. This is what I am running on my 4mill 400cc Patriot Racing Drag Ported Stock Cylinder motor.

Main 165

Pilot 48

Needle CEL

Clip Postion middle

Air screw 2.5 turns out.

If your were running a single carb your jetting would be up in the 190's for main, and pilot jet around 55.

My carb does not look like the ones you have pictured. It looks simular to that but not the extra vents you have on that carb. I will take my carbs with me tomorrow to the atv dealer I will find out just what model of the Keihin carbs I do have so you can get a better idea of what im working with. Also Im hearing quite a bit about clip position. Im not sure I follow you guys on that term. What is this adjustment on the carbs and what does it change? where is it located on carbs to change the positions? Im sorry for all the questions but this is something I need to learn If I want to get the best out of my quad I guess. Thanks for all the help so far very helpful to me.

You know where the cable hooks up to the slide. Take the cable out. Then get a socket that fits the bolt head down in the slide. Take it out. It screws down on to the needle and holds the needle in the carb. The needle is the thing sticking out of the bottom of the slide. There is grooves cut in the top of the needle. There will be a little clip in on of the grooves. You can take that clip out and put it in the other grooves wich would ethier raise or lower the needle. If you raise the needle you make it more rich in the midrange. If you lower it you make it leaner in the mid range.

K-Needle.jpg