Running wierd.. very wierd

OK, so the new problem goes. The bike has been running great for a while, no change in elevation, same jetting as always. But I ran into a problem last time I was out. (Please see my sig for mods). I burned a hole in one of my air filters( rubbing on my exhaust) and it sucked down part of my heat wrap that I had installed. Well it didn

That IS strange...is this happening intermittently or only once the bike is hot?

Have you checked your reeds to make sure the heat wrap didn't get in there and jam up one of the petals, maybe causing it to stick open? If it made it to the front of the carb there is a chance some got in your intakes too.

If the two above dont fix anything, test the coil/stator and if they are fine id try another CDI. Man I hate intermittent problems, but they usually come up electrical (which blows). I think the heat wrap situation is just coincidence.. Keep us updated.. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Also i see your having problems with your pingel, when it acts up are your lines still full atleast to the inlets on the carbs??? (hope they are see-through). Mine does the same but once you get riding they fill up, reserve always does the trick strangely, cause i think the reserve would act up over the ON position. I'm going to invest in a dual pingel for sure, always a good idea to keep those lines full...

Eric

Well it it doesn't happen "right" when it warms up, but essentially it runs perfect, idles perfect right when i start it up and will run good till I hit the power band for the first time, it will ride the power band good until i choose to get off of it, ( so much that when i really want to climb a hill, i have gone as far as waiting till the bike cooled down to make a shot at it because i knew the bike would atleast give me one shot at it)... but trying to get back into the band is laughable it runs so bad. but after i keep playing with it for a while (burping the throttle and such) it will come back. Yeah, its has me purplexed, the reeds are next to check, I replced the spark plug boots, but that didn't work. The stator, coil and CDI have all been replaced this past year, but thats not to say they are good, If the reeds check out ok, i will head in that direction, but it feels so much like fuel flow that i wonder what else it could be

If anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to chime in,

Thanks again to everyone for helping out :thanks:

Well it it doesn't happen "right" when it warms up, but essentially it runs perfect, idles perfect right when i start it up and will run good till I hit the power band for the first time, it will ride the power band good until i choose to get off of it, ( so much that when i really want to climb a hill, i have gone as far as waiting till the bike cooled down to make a shot at it because i knew the bike would atleast give me one shot at it)... but trying to get back into the band is laughable it runs so bad. but after i keep playing with it for a while (burping the throttle and such) it will come back. Yeah, its has me purplexed, the reeds are next to check, I replced the spark plug boots, but that didn't work. The stator, coil and CDI have all been replaced this past year, but thats not to say they are good, If the reeds check out ok, i will head in that direction, but it feels so much like fuel flow that i wonder what else it could be

If anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to chime in,

Thanks again to everyone for helping out :thanks:

If you are still running the stock gas cap, it could be plugged up, and not letting air get into the tank, as the fuel is used, causing a "vapor lock". Another possibility is, if you have the stock breather tube on the gas cap, and it is run into your steering stem, your steering stem could be full of water, not allowing the tank to breathe. I ran into that last problem, on a Polaris Scrambler, and it took several hours to find the problem. Check those things out, and let us know.

If the two above dont fix anything, test the coil/stator and if they are fine id try another CDI. Man I hate intermittent problems, but they usually come up electrical (which blows). I think the heat wrap situation is just coincidence.. Keep us updated.. :thumbsup:

Eric

I'd have to say it sounds electrical to me also.. If it was a issue with a lack of fuel flow the motor wouldn't want to idle down after coming off the power. (running the bowls dry) But for shits and giggles I'd take the carbs apart and give them a good cleaning just to make sure your needle and seat is working and nothing is floating around in there. Then I'd start looking at the electrical.