took clutch cover off

Hey guys. My shifter didnt shift anymore, like it was in neutral. So i took my clutch cover off and there was a washer laying underneath a bunch of metal shards. The washer was laying there for quite some time, because it was coverd in carbon and what looked like burt oil. And there were so many shards . Where did these come form you think?

thanks,

tyler

i dont got a digi camera, but i can describe it. Its like a normal washer, about quarter size, but instead of a perfect circle on the inside, its like a half circle. like half the inside is filled in. Sorry about no pics. Oh ya, it was right underneath the clutch.

Edited by klotz_racr

i know what washer your talking about, im trying to remeber where that goes without breaking out my books. i want to say thats on the kick starter assembly but im not 100%

a littl metal is normal to have, how much are you saying is in there? either way you need to get to the bottom of that washer.

also have you changed your clutch anytime lately? that could be the metal casue its not adjusted right.

Its still the stock clutch. But there was only like 1mm worth of shavings, but there were some big chunks, but mostly filings. i was hoping something wasnt grinding. Also, do i need just the plates, and springs, Or do you think i need the basket, hub, ans pressure plate too?

thanks for the help,

tyler

its most likely your plates... but i cant say for sure without seeing it... normally your plates will leave alot of shavings if your clutch isnt adjusted right.

also if you add a 8 plate clutch youhave to file down the nipples on the inside of your clutch cover or they will hit the pressure plate.

the washer goes on the idler gear which is next to the kick start gear

there should be a snap ring floating around in there some where also!

A pan cake bearing takes the place of the cluch adjuster in the pressure plate and keeps the clutch ball and rod from welding its self together

the washer goes on the idler gear which is next to the kick start gear

there should be a snap ring floating around in there some where also!

A pan cake bearing takes the place of the cluch adjuster in the pressure plate and keeps the clutch ball and rod from welding its self together

i agree, if you look at the end of the shaft that the ldler gear mounts too you will probably find that the groove that should hold the washer you found and a snap ring to retain it has the edge of the groove all busted off. the only way to fix it is to break the cases and replace the transmission shaft. if thats the case then sorry about your bad luck, i just had to do this in the wifes bike. if your a mechanicly inclined type of guy then it wont be a thing. make sure to replace all the seals while your in there cause it's cheep insurance...

thats what i was going to say.....:) go with a f.a.s.t. clutch !! put 1 in my bike over a year ago... all i do is drag race is ,never had a problem with it !!! dirt digger and tusk clutches just dont hold up,never had a rz ...