Leaking coolant into tranny

hey there i got a problem... i went riding yesterday and after a while i noticed my shee overheating . so i stopped and checked the level and it had no water at ALL. i filled it up and kept going by the time i got to my house the levels wa really low again...will i was trying to figure it out, oil started to come out of the trans overflow lines...so i drained the tranny and sure enough all the coolant was in there...what could be the problem a bad oil seal or maybe o-ring...or even gasket...let me know thanks

Edited by 4everwantedbanshee

As mentioned above, it could be the o-ring, or the water pump seal. If it's the water pump seal, you might as well replace the water pump bearing while you have it apart, if that's where it's leaking, because it's a bitch to change the seal, and bearing, or at least mine was. You will need a new clutch cover gasket also.

it's like a $40 job to replace the seal and bearing on the impeller and the o-ring on the pass through. i wouldnt worry about how to check things out. if you have it torn apart you might as well just replace everything because its gonna cost you more than $40 worth of agrivation if you slap it back together half assed and still have a problem. if the bearings shot then it will chew up your new seals so just do it all while your in there so you know it's done...

it's like a $40 job to replace the seal and bearing on the impeller and the o-ring on the pass through. i wouldnt worry about how to check things out. if you have it torn apart you might as well just replace everything because its gonna cost you more than $40 worth of agrivation if you slap it back together half assed and still have a problem. if the bearings shot then it will chew up your new seals so just do it all while your in there so you know it's done...

ditto....

if nothing else, it's a little insurance against it happening again.

after you get it all together again, you might want to change the oil again a short time after to clean out as much coolant as possible from the bottom end. and beware, you might end up having clutch problems now as well. the coolant degrades the clutch fibers and the clutch will start slipping, especially in the higher gears. if you catch it before any major damage is done, you may only need a clutch kit. tusk kits are around $30-$40.