CEASED MOtOR? anybody help

ok my brother just called me and told me that he just put his bike back together after re installing his coolhead and have to helicoil a few of his cylinder posts. he said he didnt vacume out the burs but only blew them out with a compressor. but heres thie thing he said it ran really weird like it was bogging down and slugish i told him to change his plugs so he did and he got some 100 ocatne fuel sense the guy he bought his bike from told him to run 100 octane in it. so he did got it all going and said it still boggs down. so he pulled it into his garage and went to kick start it again and he said it wont move that it is stuck...what does this sound like. he just bought this bike and has had nothing but problems... please help me guide my brother in this.. and if he did cease it. how long does it usualy take to have the cylinders honed out and he said his pistons say 65.25 on them.. what is the next size up. please help guys!!!!

take a deep breath..... ok 1st pull the plugs and look at them. If they have a salt and pepper look to them you are probably looking at a problem. white plugs or alum on them is also obviously a bad thing. If it's chocolate brown at the tip and black on the rest then your good just maybe forgot to mix gas or something simple. put a couple squirts of 2 stroke oil in the cylinders and let them cool down. after about 20 minutes or so then try to turn it over. If it doesn't move then take the head off. if he had some metal chips on the head surface then maybe some coolant got in there. do some investigating and repost. If it's just seized up then you can still salvage the motor. If it blew up then you need a bore and new pistons.

65.5mm is the next size up.

Also why would you need 100 octane? Is it a super high comp motor? Ultra advanced timing? The higher the octane the slower it burns...just like gun powder.

ok he took the head off and said one of the sides looks liek a weedwacker went crazy in there. so i think he locked up one of the sides. i dont know what the deal is with this bike but i feel bad for my brother. if he just fried a ring can he just change them out.??

take a deep breath..... ok 1st pull the plugs and look at them. If they have a salt and pepper look to them you are probably looking at a problem. white plugs or alum on them is also obviously a bad thing. If it's chocolate brown at the tip and black on the rest then your good just maybe forgot to mix gas or something simple. put a couple squirts of 2 stroke oil in the cylinders and let them cool down. after about 20 minutes or so then try to turn it over. If it doesn't move then take the head off. if he had some metal chips on the head surface then maybe some coolant got in there. do some investigating and repost. If it's just seized up then you can still salvage the motor. If it blew up then you need a bore and new pistons.

65.5mm is the next size up.

Also why would you need 100 octane? Is it a super high comp motor? Ultra advanced timing? The higher the octane the slower it burns...just like gun powder.

Wow, you seize them and roll on?? Ouch, our customers would be pissed.

Brandon

ok he told me the cylinder looks good still but the piston broke off. so what do you suggest.. buys the same size pstons and replace or does he have to bore ?

As long as the bore is within tolerance, you should be able to install new pistons and roll on with a good hone.

Brandon

I would make damn sure to find all the origanal piston pieces before you just slap it back together,and stick with pump gas, If it aint built for the high octate you will just keep doin this.IDC what the guy told him to run in it,he might have told him that just to watch him blow it up? Some people just aint right!

Wow, you seize them and roll on?? Ouch, our customers would be pissed.

I siezed up the rebuild I'm running now during break in... pulled off the trail..... drank a cold one... poored 1 on the motor... started it back up and ripped home.

But I have my guys at swaintech PC-9 my skirts for me. so when I pulled the head.... perfect. Not even a scratch on my skirts either.

sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't.

I did the same thing on my gasgas wild 300 and I wasn't so fortunate. But I still rode it home!

I siezed up the rebuild I'm running now during break in... pulled off the trail..... drank a cold one... poored 1 on the motor... started it back up and ripped home.

But I have my guys at swaintech PC-9 my skirts for me. so when I pulled the head.... perfect. Not even a scratch on my skirts either.

I had my top end coated by Swain Tech. PC-9 on the skirts, TBC on the Piston Heads, and Domes.

I had the same problem with mine. siezed during break in process. Out riding on gravel road. Let off the throttle and the back tires just lockup. So I snapped the clutch a few times to get it to free up. Then pulled over to let it cool. Started it up and putted back home. Pulled my cool head off. No scratches or marks that I could see.

Fast Forward 20 Hrs of run time later.

I decide to do a leak down test. Just because. It has been running fine but just to give me some confidance it is all sealed up. Do the leak down test and find a tiny leak under the LH Cylinder. So I tear it down and find this.

I am petty sure that it happend because it was a little on the tight side when I put the engine together. In the pic of the cylinder you can see just a tiny bit of aluminum transfered to the sleeve. That is the only damage that happned to the cylinders. The PC-9 is probably what helped save my cylinders. There isnt a scratch other than the little bit of aluminum.

RH Piston and Cylinder.

100_2076.jpg

100_2073.jpg

100_2079.jpg

100_2080.jpg

LH Piston (Same Side as TINY air leak)

100_2078.jpg

100_2069.jpg

Man that sux! I had to pull my cylinders off to do some mods for the EFI and I didn't find anything but a slight wear on the bottom edge of my skirts. But thats normal for a motor with quite a few hours of running @ 10k.

Did you have your bore done before or after you had the pistons coated? I gave them to swaintech first so my machine shop guy would know how thick the coatings would be. But I also had to tell him not to beat them up while they were in the shop since that PC-9 is very prone to chipping if you knock it hard enough....strangely enough...

also remember that forged pistons swell tons more than a cast piston

Edited by TurboBanshee420