yfz rear shock conversion

djackbanshee

Since my front end is longtravel and the back suspension just can't follow the front. I am starting this new project. Fitting a rear yfz shock on the banshee.

the easier way and best setup i found is using a 400ex linkage.

i will also be building a custom swingarm to fit the linkage.

top shock mount has to be modified to fit the shock and original mount has to be cut so the shock can have more angle because now it's kinda too horizontal.

heres the pics of what it should look like.

gallery_16661_377_255932.jpg

med_gallery_16661_377_411425.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few questions:

1) Are you keeping the stock swinger length?

2) weight, compared to stock (lighter?)

3) intended purpose (MX, GNCC, etc.)?

Looks pretty good though. Why not just use the new Elka linkage & shock though? Cost a factor? Or just something you wanted to try to build? I'll be keeping my eye on this fab job as well. I think it's cool when people build their own stuff - that's what you call "one of a kind" !!!

This is definitely a cool project. Especially if you are trying to do the Banshee hobby on a budget. With that said, I looked at doing this once upon a time and found that it has the potential to be alot of work to make it work well and look pure.

If I were to make a general statement on this particular deal, I think one might get a better cost benefit from an aftermarket shock made for your application. Of course if you are like and think projects like this are fun, are low on fundage, or a really talented when it comes to the fabrication and suspension design, then this may be a project right up someones alley.

or maybe you wanna get really talented in it........

I would be happy to as soon as I clone myself. I am in Dillon, CO on Freightliner's SUmmer Test tour of the western US. Then, I get to hang out at one of my operations in Denver for two weeks. If I wind working less than 100 hours per week here soon, I may look at helping out here. :biggrin: