Two Cycle resurection ?

Has anybody been paying attention to Evinrude?...They have introduced new E-Tech fuel injected Two stroke out boards that not only produce more torque and power than comparable sized 4 strokes but (most important) also perform better in emission tests than 4 strokes.

Maybe two strokes arent destined to die out after all if other companies (Like Yamaha) follow suit.

I heard somewhere that oil burning two cycle engines were going to phased out by all manafacturers by 08' but I dont think Evinrude is gonna be one of them.

Just thinking out loud.

Edited by Shred

It would be really cool to see companies like yamaha start coming out with motors like this, but I just don't think it's gonna happen. It just doesn't seem like they are really interested in sinking R&D funds into 2 stroke motors anymore. The banshee is a prime example of this. The banshee motor is a really great engine, but it really hasn't changed much since they came out with the old RZ 350's, or even the RD 350's before that.

When you consider how well the new 4 strokes are selling, I really don't think they will see much point in sinking money into "outdated" 2 stroke technology. I think the only way you will see any atv manufacturers do this, is if somebody really starts losing their ass in the new battle to sell the best 450, and they decide to come out with a 2 stroke to try and steal back a share of the market. Since it really doesn't seem that any of the new 450's are head and shoulders above all the rest, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

It doesnt look like Evinrude is using outdated two cycle technology to me they have used common sense , New technology and dumped the heavy parasitic valve train and wasted stroke of the 4 cycle and created a Viable two stroke solution to the pollution issue that was spelling their (Two strokes) doom.

Id really like to see other manufacturers get their hands on this technology (if it patented) and use it in new recreational vehichles say a 450cc fuel injected two stroke quad that pollutes the same or less than a four stroke version, I know which one i will buy even if its an extra grand or two.

Id really like to see other manufacturers get their hands on this technology (if it patented) and use it in new recreational vehichles say a 450cc fuel injected two stroke quad that pollutes the same or less than a four stroke version, I know which one i will buy even if its an extra grand or two.

Pollution issue aside, if they come out with a 450cc fuel injected 2 stroke, especially if it's a twin cylinder, and I'd be waiting in line at the stealership to get one.

Pollution issue aside, if they come out with a 450cc fuel injected 2 stroke, especially if it's a twin cylinder, and I'd be waiting in line at the stealership to get one.

I hear that^^^.

if they were to create such a beast and acheive low emission like the two cycle E-TECH engines they could have another winner for another 20 years.

Has anybody been paying attention to Evinrude?...They have introduced new E-Tech fuel injected Two stroke out boards that not only produce more torque and power than comparable sized 4 strokes but (most important) also perform better in emission tests than 4 strokes.

Maybe two strokes arent destined to die out after all if other companies (Like Yamaha) follow suit.

I heard somewhere that oil burning two cycle engines were going to phased out by all manafacturers by 08' but I dont think Evinrude is gonna be one of them.

Just thinking out loud.

Comparatively to on-road applications, marine emission standards are still pretty wide open. I would be willing to bet that the Evinrude E-Tech engine will be gone before 2010. :confused:

Evinrude's E-TEC won the Clean Air Excellence Award from the US EPA in April 2005. The E-TEC two-stroke outboard engine carbon monoxide emissions are typically 30 to 50 percent lower than a similar four-stroke engine and, at idle, are lower by a factor of 50 to 100 times. This is the first time that a marine engine has received this prestigious recognition.

Just some info about the E-Tech, I'm probably starting to sound like a company Rep .

I red someware that they would have to sink billions of dollars into the fourstrokes to get them to burn as clean as the e-tech does. Any ways im willing to bet that once the seven year patent is up you can almost garantee the other manufactors are going to follow suit. As far a boat motors go the e-tech is blowing everthing else out of the water. If or how long before we see the technology in stuff like dirt bikes or quads ? Well we can only dream. :shrug:

I just saw a commercial last night for some new 2stroke marine outboard and its not the etec. It is not made by evinrude and i cant remem who it was by but they compared to etec and they said it was better in every way. the only specs i remem is gas milage they said etec got around 4mpg and this one was 5mpg..

BRP who makes the Evinrude engine is keeping two strokes alive. For those who ride sleds the Ski-doo's 600's and 800's all meet emissions above an beyond most of there 4-stroke counter parts. In the sled world the only key player in 4-stokes is Yamaha and they are doing a great job in pushing there brand. Ski-doo, Arctic Cat and Polaris are puttin R&D into this 2-stroke technology and at least in the sled world I do not see this going away. High HP = 2-stroke!! and the sled guys thrive on that.

Chris

I red someware that they would have to sink billions of dollars into the fourstrokes to get them to burn as clean as the e-tech does. Any ways im willing to bet that once the seven year patent is up you can almost garantee the other manufactors are going to follow suit. As far a boat motors go the e-tech is blowing everthing else out of the water. If or how long before we see the technology in stuff like dirt bikes or quads ? Well we can only dream. :shrug:

The real deal is that the Evinrude ETEC is already out of date technology. No one really cares about CO at the moment even though they say they do. NOx is what is giving everyone fits. The Evinrude ETEC technology will be a dead duck by 2010 in the U.S. Maybe it will still be alive in China, but that's about it.

If E-techs are bound to be too dirty by 2010 then the very best 4 cycles are as well according to this info...Pages 9 & 10.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference...E44-1_e-tec.pdf

As you can see E-techs meet or succeed the Cleanest running 4 Cycle on the market in both Co and NOx emissions so those 4 cycle engineers better get to work and clean up their act if they wanna hang with those outdated cleaner running 2 Cycle E-Tech engines.

Edited by Shred

If E-techs are bound to be too dirty by 2010 then the very best 4 cycles are as well according to this info...Pages 9 & 10.

As you can see E-techs meet or succeed the Cleanest running 4 Cycle on the market in both Co and NOx emissions so those 4 cycle engineers better get to work and clean up their act if they wanna hang with those outdated cleaner running 2 Cycle E-Tech engines.

I can also see you have no idea what you are talking about or what is in development anywhere in the outboard marine market.

The E-Tech engines have not made the EPA 2007 regs. to the best of my knowledge. You are correct in stating that the four stroke engine in that PDF will need to be cleaned up, but it won't be without exhaust aftertreatment. You really can't do much with treating a two stroke engines exhaust which is why all of the two stroke over the road diesels died along time ago. The emissions regulations talked about in that PDF are certainly dumbed down for the general publics reading and beyond that they really don't say much of anything after your read it a couple of times.

To further comment on the technology at hand here all of the E-Tech injection components are outdated and down on operating pressure and control fidelity by atleast 50% from the current hardware in development right now. Besides, OMC did not come up with any of that technology themselves anyway, U.S. Marine did quite some time ago. The a couple of engineer jumped ship to OMC, and they started up their own program over there as the patents had already run out on the designs and technology.

While the Evinrude engine is a good one and has some many awesome features, it is already dead technology that will most likely not even make it to 2010.

Can't any body just kick back and so" that's pretty inetresting" why the perpetual squabble on the HQ?

I think it's pretty cool, I would love to see a new 2 stroke bike, while the odds seem very slim, you never know what the manufactirers have up their sleeve. I like to see stuff like this.

Can't any body just kick back and so" that's pretty inetresting" why the perpetual squabble on the HQ?

I think it's pretty cool, I would love to see a new 2 stroke bike, while the odds seem very slim, you never know what the manufactirers have up their sleeve. I like to see stuff like this.

It's definitely interesting. It bothers me for some reason when pseudo engineering related information gets passed off as fact, especially in what I thought to be a bit of an arrogant manner, but maybe I read that wrong. If so, I appologize. :confused: