Need Rear Shock Stiffer

DaveVato

Having a problem after the install of +6 Swinger

I have a Wheelie bar mount on my swinger and DMC 916 pipe. The wheelie bar mount hits the bottom of the silencer. Problem is I am going to Silver lake on Thursday, nothing like last minute. Anyway when my 245lbs tanker body sits on the it no the silence rests on the wheelie bar mount. How do I adjust the stock rear to be as stiff as possible. I don't have time to get a new spring until after I get back....

Here is a pic of the swinger: http://www.theweberproject.com/gallery/v/B...300113.JPG.html

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You weigh 245 and are using a stock shock on a +6 swinger. Not much you can do. Tighten the preload collars down all the way. But honestly its not going to make much difference. You can stiffen the compression, but that only slows how fast it can compress, not how far it will compress.

Thats kinda what I figured, I called GT thunder, they are going to overnight a 425 spring and hopefully that will help. Whats the best way to install the spring on the rear shock?

i could spend a bunch of money and rebuild a ford and its still a ford. spend a little more and just get a chevy. same with the shock, you can get the stocker rebuilt and yes it a bit better, but for a little more you can get a new one from a name brand company and have a way better shock built right from the start

I would like to know who told you that, or who did you rebuild. Because they suck at rebuilds. I have done mine and it works quite well. Ohlins isnt a bunch of retards.

No kidding.

Just to add fuel to the fire here: whoever told several of you that cranking down the preload on the shock stiffens it, it more retarded than you guys are. Preload is a ride height adjustment only (read: indexes spring to shock) unless you figure out a way to bind some coils up while you are doing it, then you have not changed the spring rate (the springs resistance to load).

I am assuming someone will argue with me about this....................

I think stiffening the spring is the wrong verb perhaps. Maybe instead of stiffen, use increased compression or tension. Therefore by increasing preload, it will require a greater force to bottom out your shock.

I think stiffening the spring is the wrong verb perhaps. Maybe instead of stiffen, use increased compression or tension. Therefore by increasing preload, it will require a greater force to bottom out your shock.

I would still like to make sure that it is understood that adjusting preload on the shock does not increase the shocks ability to carry load. All it does is raise the bike frame higher off of the ground. Since a coil spring is basically just a funky torsion spring, the more you compress the spring upon itself, the more the coils bind.

The spring may seem stiffer when you crank the preload down, but really all you are doing is compressing it so that the lighter progressive windings are bound and taken out of the working range of the shock, thus limiting your suspension travel. To be a biot sensational, you might as well just take the shock off and bolt in a solid bar in it's place if you are increasing spring preload to compensate for a longer swingarm or heavier rider. :geek: