No Fire: Right Cylinder

OK, just finished FULL rebuild. Did crank bearings and seals, along with a billet basket. It looks like im missing out on fuel in this cyl. since i have compresssion ( 160 lbs in both ) and spark. I took the carb apart and cleaned main and pilot jets. Back tohether and same thing!! Spitter and sputter like shit!! Itll start on the first kick, but the right is not firing, the plug looks brand new still, which means no fuel to me.. Any thoughts on this?? Im kinda stuck here, any help would be great! :beer: :beer:

also make sure you have good flow from your petcock and make sure the vent tube on your gas cap isnt kinked or plugged... and even though those pwk's are kick ass carb's i know the set i have on our one shee still have a tube that connects the two(front left upper side of the intake) even though they both have chokes...

Edited by swrbansheeboy

how old are the pwk's? Choke seal could also be bad causing an air leak.

Check to see that you have good flow coming out of the gas tube going into the carb, then check to make sure float bowl isnt sticking, if you have that tube is that connected?, if all other options fail then you probably have an air leak.

If you put a little gas in the spark plug hole does the cylinder fire easily? AT least it runs and its just limited to that one side to try to figure out. Gotta be a fuel/air issue

Thanks for all the ideas! Well when i took the carb apart the floats seemed good, everything was normal. The weird thing is that everything was perfectly fine before i took it apart. And if i had a small air leak, wouldnt that just lean it out, it should still fire right? I seem to have the same fuel flow left to right ( clear lines). I guess im just guna have to fuck with it for a while, good thing i couldnt make it to the dunes this weekend i guess..

I have no tube that connects the two..

OK, starting to get frustrated. Still no resolve to this issue. The rreds looked good when i put them in, i just cleaned em up too. Fuel is flowing thru the lines, and the pilot and main jet are clean. Both cyls have an equal spark intensity. Im going nuts here, any more ideas?? I searched and read some issues similar. Im guna try swaping my coil wires i guess...

If they're not stock carbs...swap them left to right...

If they are stockers, just make that tube longer...and kinda loop it over the top.

This will tell you if it's a carb problem or not.

Then swap reed cages, making sure you seal them back up.

The bike will still fire if you got spark and an air leak.

Check the pickup gap, remove the flywheel and shake it, make sure there are no broken magnets, etc....

I have seen an air leak make a cold cylinder before. It would actually start to fire once you got in the throttle a little. Did a leakdown test and did not hold any pressure. Found his leak where his blasted boost bottle plugged into the intakes. I have also seen them act like that because of TORS. This particular person had eliminated the TORS system and didn't do a very good job of taping the wires coming off the CDI for the TORS. Somehow they were touching something and just shutting the one cylinder down. Looked like he had spark as well. Just some food for thought!

If they're not stock carbs...swap them left to right...

If they are stockers, just make that tube longer...and kinda loop it over the top.

This will tell you if it's a carb problem or not.

Then swap reed cages, making sure you seal them back up.

The bike will still fire if you got spark and an air leak.

Check the pickup gap, remove the flywheel and shake it, make sure there are no broken magnets, etc....

OK, i will try switching the carbs and shit, along with the reeds. I just rebuilt it, and the pickup should be ok along with the flywheel.

The tors has been off for years, and ive never had an electrical issue besides the CDI. I will check this stuff out again, ill let u know what i find. Thanks a lot for the input.

Hey dave, did u make silver lake this past weekend? if so, how was it?? hope u didnt get rained out too much..

I did not see Dave at the Dunes, I believe he was at the track. It only rained for about 2 hours Saturday, the weekend was beautiful. I never listen to the weather man when it comes to the lakeshore. Tyson's YFZ actually ran all day w/minimal problems. Quite a few fast bikes, but not as many as last year. Was a great time though.

How long has it been, since you replaced your spark plug boots, or have you ever done it? It might be time to replace them, and they are fairly cheap, and easy to replace, just be sure to cut about 1/4" off of each wire, before putting the new boots on. It might be worth it to replace them, just for the peace of mind.

OK, i will try switching the carbs and shit, along with the reeds. I just rebuilt it, and the pickup should be ok along with the flywheel.

The tors has been off for years, and ive never had an electrical issue besides the CDI. I will check this stuff out again, ill let u know what i find. Thanks a lot for the input.

Hey dave, did u make silver lake this past weekend? if so, how was it?? hope u didnt get rained out too much..

I did not see Dave at the Dunes, I believe he was at the track. It only rained for about 2 hours Saturday, the weekend was beautiful. I never listen to the weather man when it comes to the lakeshore. Tyson's YFZ actually ran all day w/minimal problems. Quite a few fast bikes, but not as many as last year. Was a great time though.

I was at the track Friday night...and at the dunes ALL day Saturday. At the strip...of course. I got another 10 or so passes on my 10 mil, started leaking coolant again, so I put it back on the trailer and brought my 400 EX out to play and watch....

I was on the far side near the Shelby Boyz and the Tyson racing crew....

We left after it started coming down pretty good...rode my 400 back to the trailer and got soaked pretty well...glad I wasn't on my drag bike, that's for sure.

It was fun..some cool shit out there no doubt!!! I'll have my kinks ironed out soon, I have no worries...

Brad Tyson was literally 10 to 20 feet behind me almost all day Saturday...he was working on his buddies bike or something or other...speaking of, Tyson still has my air compressor....LOL!!!

I think Tyson popped a seal or something, the motor was torn down at their cabin Saturday night...and that guy was working on it...in the dark, to get it all back together. He is a trooper to say the least!!!

Had a great time!!!

+1 I just went through the same thing with mine i added a dyna box to mine and found the problem when it wouldnt run right i took the boot ends apart and one of them was wasted on the in side the spring behind the resistor had fallen apart and the spark was going every where in side the plug end and causing alot of problems.

:shrug:

I was at the track Friday night...and at the dunes ALL day Saturday. At the strip...of course. I got another 10 or so passes on my 10 mil, started leaking coolant again, so I put it back on the trailer and brought my 400 EX out to play and watch....

I was looking for your 10mil sunday, That would be why I couldn't find ya. I walked down to talk to Brad for a second and I probably walked right infront of you and didn't know it. :shrug: Maybe I'll catch you in June at the ATV Bash if you go. If not then.. mabye July. We should see if we can't get another Silver Lake HQ ride together. Might get more guys now that its a little later in season and people's bikes are mostly done.

We left after it started coming down pretty good...rode my 400 back to the trailer and got soaked pretty well...glad I wasn't on my drag bike, that's for sure.

It was fun..some cool shit out there no doubt!!! I'll have my kinks ironed out soon, I have no worries...

Brad Tyson was literally 10 to 20 feet behind me almost all day Saturday...he was working on his buddies bike or something or other...speaking of, Tyson still has my air compressor....LOL!!!

I think Tyson popped a seal or something, the motor was torn down at their cabin Saturday night...and that guy was working on it...in the dark, to get it all back together. He is a trooper to say the least!!!

Had a great time!!!

Thats awesome, well i had a blast painting my new house!! Glad to se you all had a good time, and didnt get too soaked. THzose Tyson guys are always doing something crazy. They helped me out a couple years ago when my shift shaft was fucked up. Let m euse some tools out there and stuff. Cool guys for sure....

OHH, and my spark plug boots are fairly new. And i have solid spark so im not worried about the elecrical side really.