Looking at a new toy hauler

Some of you may remember my delima I had around July of last year. I was getting kicked out of base housing because the wife and I split, and was frantically searching for a place to live. I settled for a crappy run down efficiency apartment in a bad neighborhood. The landlord was kind enough to give me a chance despite my credit being beyond shitty. Well... now my finances are back on track, and my credit has increased tremendously, and the lease is expiring this July. I've wanted to get a nice toy hauler for quite some time now... not to mention I just got a truck that can tow one without any problems. I've been tossing the idea around about buying a new Keystone Fuzion, either the 362 or 373 model, using it as my new home, and using my BAH to make the payments and lot fees.

Now before we go any further, I know some of you couldn't imagine living in a toy hauler, and will try to convince me it's a bad idea. I'm not asking for your opinion on my living arrangement, I'm simply asking for your opinions on the toy hauler itself:

Keystone Fuzion

Standards, options, floor plans, and specs.

In my defense for my decision, the trailer is only a hundred square feet or so smaller than my apartment. It already has all the furniture and appliances that I need, so I could sell all my other things and make a clean break from old/bad memories. I'll also have a place to work on the shee that's sheltered where I could work on it year round. I live on my own now, and don't need a big place, and even though it's slightly smaller, it's more spacious than my apartment. Payments wouldn't be too much more than what I pay now, and whenever I decide that I've done my duty to the nation, I won't have to worry about trying to get everything back home... it'll already be packed up and ready to go for the trip.

Now that that's over.... Has anyone on here owned one of these, or at least know someone who has? Like I said, I'm not looking for opinions on living arrangements, just the trailer, it's features vs. price, and it's quality of construction. Likes vs. Dislikes??

On a side note, I'm not going to buy from that dealer, there's one that's in my state within a two hour drive, but the links above have more info and better pictures along with a guideline for prices.

thats a very nice looking setup... before i clicked the link i was going to requimend an Extreme Megalite but i dont think they make 5th wheels.

one quick thing...our trailer was about 250 bucks a month and it was like 25k so your payment are going to be 500 at least... how much bah you get and do you plan on staying in? cause they put these on 15 year loans. so if you get out now you have a truck payment and a 500 dollar trailer... or then again you can pay more with the bah if you have it, just a thought... i know in san diego i get 1650 dollars for bah...

thats a very nice looking setup... before i clicked the link i was going to requimend an Extreme Megalite but i dont think they make 5th wheels.

one quick thing...our trailer was about 250 bucks a month and it was like 25k so your payment are going to be 500 at least... how much bah you get and do you plan on staying in? cause they put these on 15 year loans. so if you get out now you have a truck payment and a 500 dollar trailer... or then again you can pay more with the bah if you have it, just a thought... i know in san diego i get 1650 dollars for bah...

Fifth wheels are basically a requirement around Montana. They pull better on the steep grades and winding mountain roads.

I wish I got 1650 for BAH, but for here, I only get 660 or so. I estimated a monthly payment of 425 to 475 for a 15 yr loan with an 8% interest rate. I'm only paying 325 montly rent right now, and I could easily afford a 500 dollar payment on top of my other bills, and still pay my apartment rent. I want to get some projects done though, and any extra money helps.

As far as staying in... I've got 2 1/2 years left of my first enlistment, and I'll probably re-enlist at least for another 4. By then, I'll be halfway to retirement, and will probably make it a career. If not, then I've already got several good job opportunities available to me... so money won't be an issue. Besides... to buy a decent house, or even rent a small one around here would be more than the cost of the trailer. Houses here are crappy and way over priced. A small one bedroom fixer upper would run me over 100 grand to buy, and over 600 to rent. Not nearly as bad as Cali... but the trailer seems more of a reasonable investment.

I say rock on man! If you can do something to get rid of the old bad memories then why not? It would be a great experience to have. I have no advice about trailers but that one looks like a hotel room with a kitchen garage. Put a hot tub on the roof and youll be all set :)

I say rock on man! If you can do something to get rid of the old bad memories then why not? It would be a great experience to have. I have no advice about trailers but that one looks like a hotel room with a kitchen garage. Put a hot tub on the roof and youll be all set :)

Sometimes that's all a person needs is a fresh start. The only stuff I would keep would be clothes, linens, most of my electronics, deep freeze, my pets, and other fun things. Stuff that I don't associate with a failed marraige. Then later on if I decide to get a house, I'll sell the trailer if I can't afford both, and go from there. If I do end up buying it, this will be the next major stepping stone in moving on... along with getting the rest of the whores stuff back to oklahoma, and out of my storage building. Then all that's left is the divorce... It would have been done already, but I wasted money on the current papers which won't work now. She got knocked up and is due in June... the papers I have only work if she's not pregnant and there are no kids. She's supposedly putting it up for adoption... so I may tough it out and save the papers to use after that. We will see.

I did come across one toyhauler that had small jaquzie (sp?)/garden tub instead of a shower. It didn't have the seperate cargo compartment that I want, or alot of the other options, and it was almost 15 grand more.

Yeah... I could live in that! And I thought my 5th wheel had alot of options.. WOW..

I was really surprised at how many options it has for the price... especially the number of beds. Those will come in handy for drunken nights with friends... they'll all have a comfy place to sleep and won't be out driving while intoxicated trying to get home.

Not to shabby, i would definitly treat myself that sucks being down but atleast your back up again. Nothing wrong with that.
That would make a nice house............... :biggrin:

Yup, feels good to finally be able to do get what I need/want. I think I'm going to take the drive to the nearest dealer on saturday and take a look at one in person. Pictures are worth a thousand words, but seeing the actual thing is priceless.

thats fuckin awesome dude. id live in that bitch for sure!!! where can you get electric and water and such at? and im diein to know what kinda truck youve got..thats a hell of a trailer to be pullin around. gotta v10 dont ya! haha

There's a couple of nice RV parks around town that are open all year round. They have all the neccessary hookups. If those places don't work, then there is a nice trailer park too... bit more expensive, but this place isn't your ordinary trailer park.

Nope, no V10 for me... waste of gas... they don't tow up steep hills very well, and gas mileage is virtually non-existant. They're nice for straight flat highways where horsepower is the key. With all the steep hills around Montana, you need low - mid range torque. Here's what I have to tow it with: 7.3 Powerstroke

Edited by Screamin_Demon

Hell I'd live in it.....I'm located 5 hours north of Bansh-eman and BAH for me is $700 and rent is $1200 a month. To Buy a 3 bedroom 2 bath house with a garage and 1300sq. ft is $300,000+ and my mortgage would be like $2700 a month...so yeah buying a house for me is out of the question.

Same here for a house that size. The realestate market here changes frequently, and it'd be my luck that when the time came to move, I wouldn't be able to get a house sold, or I'd loose a bunch of money on it. At least this way I could bring my home with me and not worry about changing markets.

Plus it's nice when you can have your home on lake/river front property, and not have to pay the taxes or worry about getting flood insurance. Driving to higher ground is all the flood insurance you'd need. :biggrin:

Whelp... i went and took a look at the trailer (362 model) today, and I must say, pictures don't do it justice. They only had one to look at, but are getting more in, along with the newer 373 model, which has an extra slide out, and a outside door in the cargo area. They'll be selling both of them at 56,600. All of that was the "good" part of the day.

I get back into town, and was going to go to the sprint car races. I decided to stop by my place and pick up a hoodie for the evening. As I'm pulling back out, I glanced at both of my other vehicles that were parked (like I usually do to keep tabs on them), and I found my vent window on my bronco open. Went to investigate to find my door was unlocked, and my stereo yanked out. Not too big of a deal, it wasn't wanting to play cd's right anymore, was full of dust, and was over 6 years old. Then I decided to check my 4runner, only to find the passenger door was unlocked, and my cheap stereo yanked out, along with my moderately nice CB. When they yanked one of those out, they some how shattered my dome light. The stereo I can deal without, but the CB had me pissed off. I started to panic a bit when I couldn't find my digital camera, and couldn't remember where I saw it last. Luckily I had brought it in the house. I have no clue if they were broke into during the day, or the night before. I keep them both locked at all times, and checked them at least once a day. Both were fine yesterday evening. I guess I can be thankful that they used a slim jim instead of breaking out my windows.

The trailer dealer mentioned that all their lenders do a 'no payments for 90 days' offer, so I may end up getting the trailer as soon as next month, and get all my possessions that I'm keeping out of this neighborhood early. Whoever did it is lucky I didn't catch them in the act... they would have been beaten within a few heartbeats of their life.