HOW AM I GETTING BEAT BY A PREDATOR?

The predator is not walking me by any means, I take him out of the whole but like I said its 5th that is killing me... I am front but it seems once I hit 5th it doesn't want to see that great shee power band. It just kinda sits there as he pulls away. It is a brand new predator with aftermarket exhaust and intake...I have pulled and 03 several times without a problem...maybe this kids running something I don't know of.

The predator is not walking me by any means, I take him out of the whole but like I said its 5th that is killing me... I am front but it seems once I hit 5th it doesn't want to see that great shee power band. It just kinda sits there as he pulls away. It is a brand new predator with aftermarket exhaust and intake...I have pulled and 03 several times without a problem...maybe this kids running something I don't know of.

If your on dirt running dirt tires and your banshee doesn't want to pull in fifth it sounds like what loco said a jetting issue.

with 14 41 gearing it shouldnt really be a problem if your bike is jetted and running right.. i dont see them being any faster than any other of the 4 strokes out there... and a good running piped banshee should pull on any of them 3rd gear+ and be right with them off the line

I agree with the above being said about jetting, however i have rode a predator a few times and they do scoot.. If it's 5th gear he's walking by you i wouldn't think traction would be the issue.. Before i threw the money at a cool head and Reeds i believe myself personally would get some port work done.. True the reeds and head will compliment the porting, but besides pipes, porting is where it's at! Next time your needing a rebuild send it off to somebody for some port work(assuming your planning on spending some coin on it)..

Edited by Lethaface

i saw from your first post that you have a k&n filter... is it a single in the stock air box, single with the y pipe and no air box or twin pods clamped straight on the carbs? from what ive read so far i would jump to a set of 300 mains and see if your problem gets better or worse. most fmf or toomie pipes with clamp on filters at the carbs run 310 mains middle clip and 30 pilots but on the other hand i run a single k&n with y pipe with 290 mains, middle clip on the needle and 30 pilots with fmf gold series pipes...i'm running my bike at sea level but i've also ran it at st. anthonies (like 7000 ft) and diamond lake (6000 ft) and it runs alright there also...on the porting issue, we have a 350 banshee that has stock cylinders/welded crank/ cool head with 18 cc domes/tommie t-5's/kehin 28 mill pwk's and 2 degree timing(yes 2, it will goto 4 but it's set light) advance and with a good rider it chews up most ported 350 bikes. porting will usualy get you up in r's faster but if you dont know how to use that gain then it's useless...

I agree MJ.. Porting does much more than getting your motor rev'ing faster.. Builders add a huge chunk of HP(especially on the 2strokes) when they port, as well as putting the power where you decide it's most useable for your particular application.. If you're beating ported shee's with a stock port motor it's a compliment to your riding skills and tuning..

I dont know how predators compare to the 450s, but i get beat on dirt/grass by them all day long. They are just faster than a shee with only a pipe and filter. My banshee just spins. I accepted that....almost :ohmy:. I noticed on dirt/grass the 4 stroke bikes hook up a hell of a lot better than my shee does. That's something i can only do so much to improve on. The locals and i usualy just take it on asphalt and drag race. It's a different story cuz i can launch hard. I still lose sometimes but some people are just better riders than me.

well.. heres a way to test.. if you still lose to the predator, tell him to get on your bike, and u get on his. then race.. if u lose, its the rider buddy.

I dont totally agree. It took me a while to learn how to shift my shee to make it as fast as possible. Heck, im still learning. When i let someone who only rides 4 strokes try my bike, they let it rev to hell before they shift then they dont know it has 6 gears. Id say put another banshee rider who you know can pilot one.

As for the bogging, gotta make sure your jetting is right before you do anything else. Period. After that, just enjoy the bike and stop worrying about who you can beat. There will always be someone faster than you.

When im tired of getting beat, i go race a 400ex and then i feel better :woot:

Edited by RagunCajun

so your magic non ported banshee is faster than a ported banshee...? hmm... either shitty runed ported banshee, or wasnt ported at all, makes no sense sorry, thats like saying you smoked a stock supercharged mustang cobra, with a stock mustang gt... makes no sense..

you can call it magic, i'd call it a good set up. the whole reason for porting an engine is to move more air right? unless you have the right air filters/carbs and pipes then a port job isnt worth jack. most guys think if you get a port job and a set of cpi's and 34 mill carbs they have the hot set up when in reality they have a turd thats hard to tune and only runs on top of the pipe so yea, it may be small but it still beats alot of "bigger" bikes because the setup works well and puts the power to the ground.youll also notice i said "with the right rider" i can ride it but i have a buck-0-5 friend that makes it scream. the point i was trying to make is that a port job isnt the master solution to making your engine scream, theres alot more to it then a port job. regardless how bad ass your port work is your still limited to your final drive gears and hp numbers on a dyno dont mean shit in the real world. i know of a shee that puts down 73 horse at the wheels and cant get out of a tree hole that a blaster walks out of. people can talk "portwork this and stroker that" but what it all comes down to is getting all the peices to work correctly so yea it does make sense if a stock gt beats a supercharged cobra if the cobra wasnt dialed in right and the stock gt had it's shit together. but hey, i ride the bus and have never even sat on a quad so what do i know. i guess it just comes down to opinion and you just dont agree with mine so tell me guru, what's the hot set up?