carb cleaning

i'm by no means a mechanic....but id like to think i could take off and clean my carbs without paying someone to do it...anything i should avoid/ not do?

anyone have any mistakes theyve made in the past?

anything is appreciated

thanks vinnie

i'm by no means a mechanic....but id like to think i could take off and clean my carbs without paying someone to do it...anything i should avoid/ not do?

anyone have any mistakes theyve made in the past?

anything is appreciated

thanks vinnie

do one carb at a time so that you dont get the bowls or slides in the wrong carb. and also when you put it back together make sure to put the little tube back between the 2 carbs. also upon reassembly make sure that you have the slides in sync.

Also when cleaning them you can run a small wire through the jets to make sure nothing is inside them.

Edited by REFLOYD

You can also remove the jets, I've found sand behind them before. Give it a good washdown with the carb cleaner. First time I got in there I took pictures just in case I had a problem putting it back together, pics help! It's no big thing, you're approaching this with the right attitude. Let us know if you get stuck in the middle of this. Someone will always give you a walk thru.

I just did mine today, so a little advice.

1-use a good carb cleaner, such as Chem tool B-12.

2-blow the roifices and parts out with a compressor if you have one

3-pay attention to where everything came off and goes back

4-MOST IMPORTANT-no extra parts when youre done!! no, really.

It was pretty easy overall, just pay attention. I think blowing it our with air makes a difference, even though some would probably disagree.

Good luck!

also, try to clean around the carbs as much as possible before you take them out of the carb boots in order to prevent any loose debris from getting in the carb boots or the air box. when you have the carbs removed then you'll be able to clean everything a little better so that nothing gets in the boots when you go to install the carbs. if you have any issues let us know. if you ever get in a jamb with anything let me know, i live in north tampa not too far from land o'lakes.