more smoke from one pipe?

Before you go splitting the cases, check out the carbs. You could just be a little rich on one side. Remove the carbs, clean out all the jets and passages, and check the jet sizes (main jet, pilot jet, and neelde clip position). Put it back together, make sure the carbs are synced, and the air screws are set correctly. Check the reed condition while you are at it. Do a few runs, and see if it clears up, and check your plug colors. It could very well be a crank seal, but check out the carbs first. Crank seals are cheap, but you have to split the cases to replace them.

when I replaced my seal I didnt split the case.

yes you have to split the case. My buddy had his carbs running to rich on one side and we used the carb sync I got from FAST and dialed them in better. When we finished the heavier smoking on one side had gone away. Is your pipe spitting out oil? I had a crank seal go bad and it would spit oil and ran super thick blue smoke out of the right pipe.

I just had this issue with mine and I had a dirty set of pipes and exhaust port, cleared it self out. deffinately check your carbs I say and look into you engine from the exhaust side you may have some build up from tunning it after your build

yes you have to split the case. My buddy had his carbs running to rich on one side and we used the carb sync I got from FAST and dialed them in better. When we finished the heavier smoking on one side had gone away. Is your pipe spitting out oil? I had a crank seal go bad and it would spit oil and ran super thick blue smoke out of the right pipe.

Well I never split the case when I installed mine. I know that for a fact. some might have to but didn't. I replaced it when a piece of the clutch basket took part of the seal out. this was also 3 years ago.

Well I never split the case when I installed mine. I know that for a fact. some might have to but didn't. I replaced it when a piece of the clutch basket took part of the seal out. this was also 3 years ago.

there is a ridge in the seal, the only way you can properly get it in there is to split the case. if you find the kind that dont have a ridge and that work right send me the link and i will buy some.

this was just over 3 years ago. I do remember a lip but never loosened any bolts to remove it or install it. I got the seal from either the dealer or Vito's (Vito's is right down the street from me). Part of the clutch basket took part of the case out. the small over hang over the crank. Please excuse me I'm not trying to tell you that you don't have to split the case. I just might have been lucky.

this was just over 3 years ago. I do remember a lip but never loosened any bolts to remove it or install it. I got the seal from either the dealer or Vito's (Vito's is right down the street from me). Part of the clutch basket took part of the case out. the small over hang over the crank. Please excuse me I'm not trying to tell you that you don't have to split the case. I just might have been lucky.

How did you get the old seal out then? Are you sure you arent talking about the seal on the impeller? The two case halves are what hold the crank seals in place.

How did you get the old seal out then? Are you sure you arent talking about the seal on the impeller? The two case halves are what hold the crank seals in place.

I had this same problem not too long ago. Definately check the carbs before splitting the case. On mine it ended up being the throttle slides not matching. One side was sitting up higher than the other. You can adjust it with the adjustment on the throttle cable where they go into the top of the carbs.

I think you are talking about the clutch side case cover seal. It's not a matter of getting lucky, you MUST split the case in order to replace the crank seal. It's like having hand cuffs on, you can't get your hands free unless you unlock them with a key!