How could I clean out the inside...

8buck

The process you are referring to is called decoking. Sand or media blasting is one way to do it, but it's not the way it is traditionally done. The traditional method for decoking two stroke expansion chamber is heating the out side of the expansion chamber with a a gas torch to a reasonable temperature that is not hot enough to deform the pipe and then gradually tapping on the pipe with a piece of wood or something else that will not damage the pipe. I have seen several folks doing a variant of the previous method, the difference being that instead of tapping on the pipe, they dump water or ATF on it (I don't know why you would use ATF).

I realize this all sounds a bit odd, but it's what the guys that raced the old two stroke Moto GP bikes do. I have tried the tapping and water variant of the decoking process on a few threewheeler pipes several years ago and it does work. My advice would be that if you don't feel comfortable doing this, don't do it. I am certain that if you called around to enough motorcycle shops that you could find someone to do it for you. :thumbsup:

The only problem with that would be discoloring the chrome. I imagine that would work though. I was wondering if maybe there was a way to do it chemically?

Oh yeah, if you have chrome pipes or are not planning on having your pipes refinished, don't do what I posted previously. Most pipes that the decoking process is done to have abre metal finish.

I am not sure about being able to decoke an expansion chamber chemically. However, because my brain is about 70% full of useless information, it seems to me that there is a chemical(s) out there that is used in the steam engine industry that is sprayed inside boiler to decoke them. I think that there is some scrubbing with a brush involved in the process. I couldn't tell you where to look to buy the chemical(s). I can't even tell you how I came to know that information. :blink:

Try taking them to a machine shop and having them put them in there hot tank.

I have tried that to a certain extent. A sonic parts cleaner and a hot tank really didn't get the job done. Those two tools used to be more effective when it was legal to run some actual chemical detergents in them. Now with all the environmental laws you pretty much have to run the industrial equivalent of hand soap or Simple Green. :down:

I have tried that to a certain extent. A sonic parts cleaner and a hot tank really didn't get the job done. Those two tools used to be more effective when it was legal to run some actual chemical detergents in them. Now with all the environmental laws you pretty much have to run the industrial equivalent of hand soap or Simple Green. :down:

That figures.When I worked in one every time I would get that sh*t on me it would burn for days.I guess I'm showing some of my age. :sad:

That figures.When I worked in one every time I would get that sh*t on me it would burn for days.I guess I'm showing some of my age. :sad:

Most of my experience with this stuff has been in Washington and California. One place is full of hippies running around hugging trees and complaing because the use of deoderant is burning a hole in the ozone. The other place is full of bad drivers that don't speak english and try and sue if you make them get their hands dirty or do any work at all, for that matter. :banghead: :shoothead:

go to a plumbing supply house and ask for a boiler brush , it like a wire brush on a long flexible wire , they come in different shape and sizes and brush stiffness . they are used to clean heating boilers out , maybe they will work on the inside of your pipes ,

go to a plumbing supply house and ask for a boiler brush , it like a wire brush on a long flexible wire , they come in different shape and sizes and brush stiffness . they are used to clean heating boilers out , maybe they will work on the inside of your pipes ,

That's good advice. I didn't what to call those things or where to get them. I didn't say anything because the only decription I could think of was that they are like an idustrial baby bottle brush. :geek:

it`s part of the game, short of sand blasting that carbon out, i don t think it comes out.

NYUK is wright on this one. Carbon build up is as hard as diamond. It's tuff to get out. Sandblasting is the only way. Just don't stay in their to long with the nozzle. Chemicals won't do it. Tape up the flange with layers of duck tape & put a blanket over the pipe & go for it. I switched my premix over to MOTUL you won't get that build up. It burns super clean.