No Spark. But runs. Weird. Need some advice.

mrneg9

Hi Guys. I was hoping one of you tech guys could answer my question. My 1996 banshee would not start so I tied a rope to it and had my friend pop start me. He had to pull me about 50 yards before it finally started but it would not stay running. It reved out and ran for a short time but would backfire and stall out. When I got home I pulled the plugs and checked for spark. Neither of the plugs had spark.( The plugs are both new.) Once again I had my friend pop me and the bike started up but wanted to die and ran like crap. I took my coil out and put it on my friends bike and it ran fine. So I know its not the coil. His bike was a 1999 so I could not do the same with the CDI unit. What do you guys think the problem is. CDI,Stator,Pick up ????

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Derek

if you can get a hold of a flywheel tool, i'd swap them and see how that worked. check your pickup gap too.

Hi Guys. I was hoping one of you tech guys could answer my question. My 1996 banshee would not start so I tied a rope to it and had my friend pop start me. He had to pull me about 50 yards before it finally started but it would not stay running. It reved out and ran for a short time but would backfire and stall out. When I got home I pulled the plugs and checked for spark. Neither of the plugs had spark.( The plugs are both new.) Once again I had my friend pop me and the bike started up but wanted to die and ran like crap. I took my coil out and put it on my friends bike and it ran fine. So I know its not the coil. His bike was a 1999 so I could not do the same with the CDI unit. What do you guys think the problem is. CDI,Stator,Pick up ????

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Derek

if you can get a hold of a flywheel tool, i'd swap them and see how that worked. check your pickup gap too.

The flywheel is a rarity. I would start by checking resistance values on the source coil and swapping the cdi with your buddy. The pulse generator is rarely a problem by design.

i read it like he didn't want to cut up/splice his buddy's cdi. i was mentioning the easiest thing i could think of.

The flywheel is a rarity. I would start by checking resistance values on the source coil and swapping the cdi with your buddy. The pulse generator is rarely a problem by design.

kicking it over with the plugs is not a good way to tell if you have spark, you need a certain amount to make it run. But anyways, i had a simmaler problem with my old race blaster and it ended up being the flywheel key sheared and it would stay in the right spot for a sec then spin when you reved it out and backfire and stall out. Just an idea...

Ben

kicking it over with the plugs is not a good way to tell if you have spark, you need a certain amount to make it run. But anyways, i had a simmaler problem with my old race blaster and it ended up being the flywheel key sheared and it would stay in the right spot for a sec then spin when you reved it out and backfire and stall out. Just an idea...

Ben

Thats exactly what I was going to say,mine sheared when I built the motor, wouldn't stay running when my cousin pulled me just popped and back fired good luck :smile: