Anyway to take the powdercoat off my frame?

8buck

I've been cutting and grinding unused brackets and tabs off my frame this winter and just painting over them for now. I want to have the whole thing dipped in chrome this next winter so I'll need to get the pc off. Any ideas how, or can the chrome shop do it?

I've been cutting and grinding unused brackets and tabs off my frame this winter and just painting over them for now. I want to have the whole thing dipped in chrome this next winter so I'll need to get the pc off. Any ideas how, or can the chrome shop do it?

Just curious, but have you got a quote from the chromer on how much it'll cost you? It was a big factor in why I didn't have it done, my pockets aren't that deep, lol

Besides, if there is any imperfection in the frame, the chrome will magnify it...not trying to go against the grain, just giving you a few things to keep in mind. A chrome frame would be sick, just might be a small fortune to get it right

Sandblasting is the best way to get powdercoat off :beer:

Just curious, but have you got a quote from the chromer on how much it'll cost you? It was a big factor in why I didn't have it done, my pockets aren't that deep, lol

Besides, if there is any imperfection in the frame, the chrome will magnify it...not trying to go against the grain, just giving you a few things to keep in mind. A chrome frame would be sick, just might be a small fortune to get it right

Sandblasting is the best way to get powdercoat off :beer:

No quotes yet but I have a perdy good idea it'll be a little spendy! That's why I'm planning on next winter after the tax refund! :banana: Yea, I know, I plan to far ahead.

No quotes yet but I have a perdy good idea it'll be a little spendy! That's why I'm planning on next winter after the tax refund! :banana: Yea, I know, I plan to far ahead.

what about just an Almost chrome powder coating? Or are you really going for the Show me what you got now look of real chrome? Like BigBoy said you will need to be perfect for chrome.

I stripped a frame last summer with "aircraft stripper" and it worked pretty damn good. Sandblasting is the correct way to do the job, but the AC stripper will do the job. I just sprayed the frame and let it sit for 20 minutes, then sprayed it up again and let it sit for another 5 minutes then took the garden hose to the frame and washed away 75% of the PC. Then I did the process again for remaining 25% and it worked pretty damn good. A pressure washer would work better than the garden hose I used and the whole cost of strippin the pc off cost me the price of a can of stripper, about $6 bucks. It wasnt an easy job, but on the other hand it wasnt the hardest thing to do either. Gettin all the pc out of the nooks and crannies was the worst part. Just when I thought I had all the pc off, I'd find another spot of pc hiding. The frame will need to be cleaned up really really good to remove all traces of the AC stripper before you have it re-powdered coated. The Ac-stripper is definity MickyMouse compared to sandblasting it, but it works and is alot cheaper, and its more fun than havin' some dude blast it for ya.

take it to a sandblaster. they can take it off. theyll prolly charge you more than they would for a painted frame cuz PC is a lot harder to get off. last time i had a PCed frame sandblasted it cost me 70 bucks.

I agree. Take it to a sand or media blaster. Depending on where you are it will probably run you anywhere from a case of beer to $200. :thumbsup:

I stripped a frame last summer with "aircraft stripper" and it worked pretty damn good. Sandblasting is the correct way to do the job, but the AC stripper will do the job. I just sprayed the frame and let it sit for 20 minutes, then sprayed it up again and let it sit for another 5 minutes then took the garden hose to the frame and washed away 75% of the PC. Then I did the process again for remaining 25% and it worked pretty damn good. A pressure washer would work better than the garden hose I used and the whole cost of strippin the pc off cost me the price of a can of stripper, about $6 bucks. It wasnt an easy job, but on the other hand it wasnt the hardest thing to do either. Gettin all the pc out of the nooks and crannies was the worst part. Just when I thought I had all the pc off, I'd find another spot of pc hiding. The frame will need to be cleaned up really really good to remove all traces of the AC stripper before you have it re-powdered coated. The Ac-stripper is definity MickyMouse compared to sandblasting it, but it works and is alot cheaper, and its more fun than havin' some dude blast it for ya.

Aircraft stripper will not take off powder coating. :thumbsup:

Aircraft stripper will not take off powder coating. :thumbsup:

I'v done it. I wouldnt lie. I did a whole entire frame and I'm currently working on a set of A-arms. I have 1 out of 4 A-arms stripped, I'v been stripping these A-arms whenever I can get the time. I'd be happy to take a bunch of pictures. I had these A-arms professionally powder coated too, and the AC stripper takes it right off. I won't say its the easiest job, it does take some elbow grease and some patience, but Aircraft stripper will def take off PC.

I'v done it. I wouldnt lie. I did a whole entire frame and I'm currently working on a set of A-arms. I have 1 out of 4 A-arms stripped, I'v been stripping these A-arms whenever I can get the time. I'd be happy to take a bunch of pictures. I had these A-arms professionally powder coated too, and the AC stripper takes it right off. I won't say its the easiest job, it does take some elbow grease and some patience, but Aircraft stripper will def take off PC.

That must be some freaky aircraft stripper that you got ahold of. Most of the time that stuff have has an acetone base and nylon or polyvinyl isn't usually solvent in acetone. I guess I learn something new every day. :thanks:

Iv been working on a set of A-arms that I had powder coated 'translucent red' about 2 years ago. Iv been stripping the pc off the arms for a new project im working on. I snapped some pictures of how I strip em....

CIMG1284.JPG

spray that shit on there reeeeeeally good...

CIMG1285.JPG