2007 GNCC Season ...

Meat

The 2007 GNCC series starts this Sunday !! Grand National Cross Country. First race is The Triton and its held in Florida. GNCC race day is split into two seperate races. There's the "morning race" and then theres the "afternoon race". The morning race starts at 10am and runs till 12 noon'ish. There are 17 classes that race the morning race, with a few select classes taking the spotlight. A few good morning classes to watch are the Women's class, all three of the Utility classes and the Super Senior class. The Afternoon race starts at 1pm and thats when the big dogs race. The Pro class and Pro-Am class race in the afternoon, they are the top two classes in the series. There are 11 classes that race the afternoon race. Morning classes usually total around 300+ racers and upwards of 450 and some of the more popular tracks. The afternoon racing class total racers is also around 300 racers. All classes run the course at the same time. Courses usually run about 10 miles long and the racers can usually get in 4 laps during a 2 hour race.

This season will have Bill Ballance trying for his 8th consecutive championship title, he currently tied with Barry Hawks record of 7 straight. Ballance is racing on the factory yamaha team. Rumor has it that bill will be using a modified YFZ450 frame that has the front end narrowed and raked back. Its trick. Bill won 6 out the 13 GNCC's in 2006.

Chris Borich is racing the #2 plate this year. last year he swapped wins with Ballance all year long but came up 34 points of winning the championship. Ballance's 2006 point total was 335 and Borich's total was 304. Chris won 4 out of the 13 GNCC's in 2006. Chris is racing a honda 450r this year. Honda decided to cut back GNCC sponsorships this year. Last season Chris was backed by Honda. This year, he's teamed up with Matt Smiley and East Coast Racing. Chris always seems to win the Florida race. He won it last year and the year before that. I know he's been down training in Florida for the past few weeks. He's needs to have a consistant season if he wants to beat bill ballance.

Matt Smiley will be racing a Honda 450r this year. The past two years he was a factory Polaris racer and he raced on a Predator. He had two bad seasons riding on the predator. He's always a top 5 guy when he's not riding a Polaris. Look for Smiley to return to the podium alot more this year.

William Yokley switch from being a factory Suzuki racer to a factory Kawaski racer. Yoke will be on a new Kawi 450 this Sunday. The GNCC ready Kawi looks so damn nice. Yokley will have the #5 plate this year.

I know a few GNCC racers so I root for these next coupla guys all season....

Mike Penland. Great guy. Uber-religious, but hes cool with it. He's been racing the Utility Stock class for years and won it like 12 years in a row. The winning stopped for Mike Penland two seasons ago. The competion got alot better. The 4x4 quads got alot better. Root for good ol' mike penland. We pitted next to Mike Penland numerous times and he's really into atv racing, he's fun to watch. Mike races for team Can-am. Mike used to race for Team Kawasaki and thats when he won all his championships, ever since he switched to Can-am, its been rough for Mike P. He races on a Can-am 800 Outlander. They are awsome quads, but they're known to fall apart during the race. Can-am is the main sponsor for the '07 gncc season.

Traci Cecco. Womens class champion. She's won the womens championship atleast 5 times. Traci is a factory Yamaha racer. Full factory support. Traci is local, she only lives 5 miles away. She's so damn fast its hard to beleive.... traci races in the morning race with 400 to 500 guys and she routinely beats them all. Last year she 7 "overall" wins in a row. Completly dominated the class. Her rivel is Stephanie Parton. Steph has won the women's class championship a few times. Steph races for factory Polaris and she races on an Outlaw. Boooo steph parton :yucky:

Tyler Lenig. Tyler is Traci Cecco's newphew and he's good. Tyler races in the Pro-Am class. the Pro-am class is the second fastest class behind the Pro class. The top Pro-Am racers can jump up to the Pro class and be competitive. In the 2006 season, Tyler finished 2nd overall in Pro-am. Word has it he'll be racing in the Pro class for this season. We'll find out on Sunday. Tyler races a Honda 450r

George Richards. George is another local racer who races all the D6 hairscrambles and XC races. George races in the Super Senior +50 class. This is actually a very fast class. The top 5 guys are as fast as any other class. Johnny Gallagher Sr won this class last year, he was unstoppable, he's also a factory Polaris rider, riding an Outlaw. George finish 4th overall in the class last year. Not bad. George races a highly modified kawasaki V-Force. George is part of the three man team that I do the 6hr and 12hr races. We won the Maxxis 12 hours of America race this year and george was fast and consistant. George raced the entire 13 race GNCC season last year. A great all around guy. Everyone root for George Richards this year !! George told me he's getting off his V-force and it going to race the new Kawasaki 450 when it comes out.

Ken Robey. Utility Stock class. Races in the same class as Penland and has been beatin Mike for the past few seasons. Ken finished 3rd overall in the Ute Stock class year, Mike Penland finished 6th. Iv met KR at a few races and he's quite the character. Very comical. they call him..... Obi one Ken Robey.

I hope I stirred some interest in GNCC racing...

-denny

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the heads up. I have interest in almost all types of racing and I never see quads. I've seen cars, motorcycles, tractor cabs, , boats, mudders, lawnmowers, etc...hell, I've seen frog and lizard races; but no quads. I think I heard the AMA was running a quad class, and if that's true, I expect to see something on Speed or ESPN.

Edited by nomad

I usually keep up with the GNCC races on SPEED and record them with my DVR. I like Borich personally. They don't have any GNCC events here, but they do have the first GNC MX race of the season here next week. It's about 10 minutes from where I work, so I'm planning on going so I can see the Kawasaki in action for the first time. I may try to make "The General" in Georgia if I can.

Thanks for the heads up. I have interest in almost all types of racing and I never see quads. I've seen cars, motorcycles, tractor cabs, , boats, mudders, lawnmowers, etc...hell, I've seen frog and lizard races; but no quads. I think I heard the AMA was running a quad class, and if that's true, I expect to see something on Speed or ESPN.

You say they are on speed. I guess I'm missing them. I'll have to check their website. :thumbsup:

Do a search for "Racer TV", that's the name of the show they are on.

Thanks, I will, as I didn't find anything the way I was searching. I also read on another thread and the GNCC website that the Versus channel (old OLN) will be holding televised races starting in April.

2007 GNCC Series Round #2 - The General

They're racing the morning race right now, check out the live coverage at Quadzone.com or atvriders.com

Traci Cecco currently has the overall #1 position.

The Pros race starts around 1pm. GO BORICH !!!! BOOOO BALLANCE !!!! :biggrin:

What a crazy ass race today, Ballance and Borich fought to the end, Ballance won it by 2 seconds. Controversy this time too, as heated words broke out between the #1 and #2 pits of Ballance and Borich. the lastest story I'v heard is that Borich was riding on Ballance bumper for the last two laps of the race, and when they got into pit row, Ballance did a "brake check" to get Borich off his ass. People are saying that Chris front tires were rubbin' Ballances rear tires for two laps. Well, Ballance did his little brake check right in front of all the pits and Chris dad Joe ran over to Ballances pit screamin and yellin, thats when the factory Yamaha mechanics in Ballances pit got in Joe's face and there was alot of yellin, but not physical violence. This is going to be a great season !! GO BORICH GO !!! Borich had another bad start at this race and had to work his way up to the front, he was the fastest guy on the track, but just couldnt beat Bill to the finish line. I also heard that Ballance had something to say about Borich's tight racing technique when they were standin' on the podium after the race. All kinds of excitement. Next race March 24th at the Steele Creek race in Morgantown N.C.

Todays top ten overall....

Bill Ballance

Chris Borich

Chris Bithell

Taylor Kiser

Brandon Sommers

Brandon Ballance

Matt Smiley

William Yokely

Chris Jenks

Bryan Cook

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow is round three of the season. "Steele Creek" Morganton, NC

Borich vs Ballance. Two weeks ago these two were rubbing tires and yellin at each other coming through the pits. Expect to see the killer b's bumper to bumper all race long. I know Chris is fired up for this race.

Morning race starts at 10 am and the afternoon race starts at 1pm. EST. The Pro class races in the afternoon race. Live coverage at ATVRiders and Quadzone's forums. Go to the "GNCC" section for the live race updates. I'll miss tomorrow's morning race because I have to work this weekend, but I will def be on ATVriders.com following the afternoon race. Go Go Borich !!