engine tick

It could be remnants of a welded clutch push rod. It could also be a tweaked shift fork or a burr on the shift drum.

Have you tried the rubber hose in the ear trick to see if you can narrow down where it's coming from more?

Its coming from the flywheel side loudest, But I may just try that. Im about to just do what . did. Also, is there anyway to tell if its a welded clutch push rod?? Any symptons, clutch seems fine, shifts good to.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhhh screw it run it till it blows the hell up it'll be fun i promise. then take pictures and show us all. then post an add in the wanted of all the parts you need to rebuild.

sounds like a plan? ok ready go

ahhhh screw it run it till it blows the hell up it'll be fun i promise. then take pictures and show us all. then post an add in the wanted of all the parts you need to rebuild.

sounds like a plan? ok ready go

im trying to figure out the problem. I was just asking for help. Not a smart comment by someone not willing to help or give any valuable input. :rolleyes:

My banshee is making a ticking noise. At silver lake it was heard by rriggs and some others. I did as rriggs said to check stator and flywheel and stuff. It still runs good and everything but Im worried from reading all this stuff, so what should I do. What do you guys think it is. I can really only hear it at idle. Its pretty loud.

Mine made a ticking noise out of the stator cover when I put my adjustable stator plate on and all it was the screw holding the wires away from the flywheel was rubbing the flywheel I didn't see this in your list of mods so I hope this helps :confused:

Mine made a ticking noise out of the stator cover when I put my adjustable stator plate on and all it was the screw holding the wires away from the flywheel was rubbing the flywheel I didn't see this in your list of mods so I hope this helps :confused:

Did you take the flywheel off to repair this?

Did you take the flywheel off to repair this?

Yes the screw was in the way of the flywheel so I took it off and took the screw out and zippy tied the wires away from the flyweel through the hole the screw came out of and it was good to go. :thumbsup:

I may end up just tearing it up, its turning into a big headache for me, I don't like hearing it, and I don't really want to ride and have to it damage the case or whatever and blow up massively. And if its not good after that, then I will keep trying to solve the problem I guess.

I may end up just tearing it up, its turning into a big headache for me, I don't like hearing it, and I don't really want to ride and have to it damage the case or whatever and blow up massively. And if its not good after that, then I will keep trying to solve the problem I guess.

Good luck I hope you get it fixed :thumbsup:

I just skimmed the responses but I never saw anyone mention piston rattle. Kinds of sounds like a ticking lifter just deeper tone. If you have not done the topend for awhile you may want to pull the top end and inspect it. If nothing is wrong rering and go again.

Its wierd, it was about 6 hours after ridding it in the dunes it started, I just re ringed it before that trip. So im not sure. Ive heard the crank bearing or something in the bottom end is to blame. Im ready to split the cases and just check everything.

Mine made a ticking sound like that once. It was caused by the idler gear behind the kick start gear. It had lost a tooth (because of an earlier incident) so evey rotation of that gear made a ticking sound.

Yeah...but his is coming from the left side...

I'd start with the easy stuff. Get a flywheel puller, pull that and the stator plate off, check it all out.

I agree, but remember that sounds can travel in odd ways through a motor. I had a mechanic at a stealership tell me he was positive it was piston noise. He couldn't have been much farther from the source and still been in the motor. I agree that he should check what is easiest first though, but doen't rule out that it is caused somewhere else.

I agree, but remember that sounds can travel in odd ways through a motor. I had a mechanic at a stealership tell me he was positive it was piston noise. He couldn't have been much farther from the source and still been in the motor. I agree that he should check what is easiest first though, but doen't rule out that it is caused somewhere else.

True that!!!

I honestly don't think it's anything major due to the abuse and time he's put on it since then.

Then again...no one said a failing motor part will come unglued tomorrow or a year from tomorrow....

I'd do the easy checks first, then dig into the motor and checking clearances...