Holy piston

MDS2106

Yesterday,Burnt a hole in the right piston,I have benn running basically the same set up for 2 years with no problems.I had rode roughly about 25 miles with no problems before the failure.I let a couple of friends race the banshees down the beach a few times later when i went to start the bike it would only run on one cylinder.So i pulled the motor down today and this is what i found. Any ideas?

post-15042-1170623231_thumb.jpg

Maybe it was slightly lean due to colder temps.I really don't know.I am thinking maybe one of the guys riding my bike kept it pinned to long hauling ass down the beach.As I dissasembled it i could not find and type of gasket failure, the carb boots look good.I thought maybe crank seal but it is on the right side.Its really hard to say because I wasn't riding it when the failure occured

Edited by MDS2106

I'd rule out a crank seal problem, it's on the wrong side. The left pison will lean out from a bad seal, the right will burn tranny oil.

Is there impact marks on the spark plug? You may have had a bearing failure wich cause the piston to hit the plug.

My best guess is that your buddies didn't know any better and you had a clog on the left cylinder's carburator..most likely the pilot because if it was the main..you would have known...back firing, sputtering..lack of power at speed.. or your floats were sticking and a high rpm's you starved that cylinder which caused a lean condition. Another culprit could be your reeds. If they were worn and didn't seal properly.. Also the air screw on your carbs..Perhaps a piece of dirt got lodged in there...One more thing..the routing of your fuel hose to the carburators..If you are not running an inline filter..I bet sand got in there.

I'd rule out a crank seal problem, it's on the wrong side. The left pison will lean out from a bad seal, the right will burn tranny oil.

Is there impact marks on the spark plug? You may have had a bearing failure wich cause the piston to hit the plug.

My best guess is that your buddies didn't know any better and you had a clog on the left cylinder's carburator..most likely the pilot because if it was the main..you would have known...back firing, sputtering..lack of power at speed.. or your floats were sticking and a high rpm's you starved that cylinder which caused a lean condition. Another culprit could be your reeds. If they were worn and didn't seal properly.. Also the air screw on your carbs..Perhaps a piece of dirt got lodged in there...One more thing..the routing of your fuel hose to the carburators..If you are not running an inline filter..I bet sand got in there.

Reeds look good,Old spark plug looks good except for the silver from the melted piston. No up and down slack in piston rod.I will check the carbs before i put it back together.I am running inline fuel filter.

Did the petcock have to be changed to reserve when they brought it back ? Could be something as simple as running it out of fuel during their beach racing spree & not knowing any better .... typically one carb will run dry just a little faster than the other ...

I just checked the fuel tank looks like i have at least 1/2 tank. I am leaning towards the colder weather making it a bit leaner plus the dude really pushing it hard for an extended lenght.The fucked up part of the whole thing is that no one said anything about it running bad,I had to start it and find out myself.