T5 Pipe Repaint

ClimbAnyHill

Here's the the main tools for the job.

A light disc sander on the cordless drill, also used a brush disc for some heavy parts.

High Temp Primer & Hight Temp Header Ceramic Coating.

You're not to coat heavily, you're only to coat to give color or else it will bubble.

Once dry to the touch you're to Idle for 10 min & cool, then 15 min & cool, then full throttle to bake it in.

Instructions say outdoor temp is to be above 20 degrees.

T500.jpg

I brought it down to the sheet metal.

T501.jpg

At Primer stage.

T502.jpg

T503.jpg

Finished product.

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IM GLAD YOU POSTED THIS, I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT DOING THE SAME THING BUT WASNT SURE HOW IT WOULD COME OUT.THAT LOOKS GREAT AND YOU JUST MADE UP MY MIND ABOUT DOING IT TO MINE.ANY IDEA ABOUT HOW IT HOLDS UP IN THE LONG RUN?oops sorry about the caps,didnt notice till i was done typing.im not a huge fan of a lot of BLING so that matches my styly perfectly.well done my man!

Edited by mybadbanshee

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

I'll eventually take them in for a good Ceramic Coating that will last me for ever. I had to do something quick & this was the easiest fix before my Glamis trip. I'll let you know how they hold up thru the sandblasting out there :biggrin:

I wouldn't mind chrome pipes, maybe Mybadbanshee would trade me since he's looking into blacks?? :whistling:

Jeg's has these primers & paints in different colors. I got these paints at PAW, they sell top notch automotive stuff for Hot Rods! I did pick up some clear coat, thought I'd spray the pipes for easy cleaning but it's on 500 Degrees so I didn't spray. I used less than a can for each primer & finish.

• 3 weeks later...

I was afraid of this..too much paint. So I took the bike out to Glamis last week. Put the paint to the test. The paint held up well except for the bottom tips that hook up into the engine. Obviously where the pipes heat up the most. Instructions indicate you should only spray the header to color & not layer it which i did. It says if you layer it will bubble then flake off which is exacly what happend. It doesn't look bad since I had cleaned the pipe down to the metal & it was only a small area that didn't hold the paint. I'm going to respray that area exacly as instructed and give it another try. Still looks better than before & still happy with it. I'll post a pic of it soon.

Edit: Thanks for the support guys!!

i have access to a sand blaster at work.... save a bunch of time stripping it.

the first time i tried primer and paint 1200 deg ceramic... it flaked off after a season paint was shot down by cylinders..

this time i went a head and baked paint like instructions say to make finish harder...

so far it has worked...

heat cycles of break in......

first couple of test rides...

spilled gas on from filling tank... (dumbass)

rode for approx 1 hr total... 20 min warm up and spin around block..

temp gauge has been up to 150 deg and no paint flake yet!!!!!!

163747538309_3300.jpg

hope thats the trick.. or trade in for chrome ones....

Edited by JET 99