windows vista

I don't run it but I have a co-worker that tried it out. He didn't like it at all...I can't remember all the things he said that he didn't like about it, but he installed it, and then un-installed it a few days later. I have talked to a few more of my friends that had the same experience with Vista. All the folks I talked to are PC tech support, programmers, etc. :shrug:

My company will NOT be jumping on this bandwagon for quite some time.

Too many older legacy programs that may not work, horrible driver support, etc., AT THIS TIME, I should add.

Office 2007 is a royal pain too.

I work in the IT industry, as well. I probably will have the company purchase a copy so we can get some hands on for the OS...but, I won't even THINK about putting it into production.

I would explain XP as windows 2000 on steriods...albeit fluffy ones. Vista is a WHOLE new animal...

And I come from quite a few years in the biz, from back in the windows for work groups 1.1 all the way to what we have now..

Sounds like a pretty sweet gig you got going on...I've been in networking for a few years, it can be fun at times, but can be a PITA as well. We deal with Cisco and Nortel equipment, Nortel is JUNK, LOL. We monitor and troubleshoot/resolve any networking problem for the entire bank...from the branches, ATM's, admin buildings, etc.

Sorry grinch, didn't mean to take your thread off track.

That's a good idea, lol. My co-worker that played with Vista a lot comes in on Friday, I'll see if I can get some more information about it. I do remember his main problem was in fact driver support. There were several things he tried installing and they simply didn't work, and he couldn't get them to work, and found no support whatsoever as Dave mentioned

• 1 month later...

Got a test PC, brand new HP at work with Vista Business. I used it for 2 weeks..and I can say we won't be migrating anytime soon.

First thing you have to do is turn off that stupid user level access control....what a waste IMO.

And it was just plain buggy...period.

XP Pro for a long time for me...

After the mess of problems when XP first came out, I am extremely hesitant to run Vista. I may consider it after the first service pack is released.

I've been running XP on the desktop. I was running Ubuntu on an 800mhz laptop before I bought my Alienware lappy. I'll be converting that to dual-boot Ubuntu/XP shortly. Any windows 2000 lover will fit right in with Ubuntu, but if you like the flash and flare of XP you may try Kubuntu. Mac users will see a lot of similarities in file structuring and layout since a lot of mac's ideas come from open-source applications in linux; so if you don't want to pay an arm & a leg for a mac or vista, a good linux build might be something to consider. The only considerable drawbacks with linux in general are that sometimes it's not easy to get your wireless card to work on it or run windows applications and games. If you do want to run windows apps on linux though check out Wine, a windows emulator for linux.

Well, there's my geek-speak for the day.

• 11 months later...

Got vista at home and on the Gateway lapper. I have had a few issues with it but nothing major. Was like learning a new language though! Got all the right buttons removed and its all good now. Most will un-install as soon as it second guesses them on running an application. Xp was better but why go back in time? I am here and I am going to stick with it. AS FAR AS AN UPGRADE FROM XP THATS QUESTIONABLE!!!!!!

my computer with xp crashed so i got a discount through my work on a dell with vista. i am your normal everyday user. no computer geek by a longshot.i unplugged the one with vista and got my old one fixed. it friggin prompts you for everything.i hated it.brand new dell is sitting here.barely used.