Rich running banshee, what's the problem?

tleavitt

We have this banshee that we've been messing around with for a few years and we can't get it to run right. We bought it brand new and it worked perfect at one time. It has Toomey T5s, Boyensen reeds and a Pro Flow filter kit. It runs super rich and it'll foul plugs especially when it idles.- we've changed the jets all the way down to 190s and it still runs rich with smoke pouring out- right now we have 280s at 1200 feet elevation. The pilot jets are 1-1/2 turns out. The clips for the needles are set in the 3rd groove down. I even swapped the carbs out with a buddies and it still did the same thing. We run BR7ES plugs. The reeds are good, the top end is brand new, and the stator is brand new. We even changed the cases and changed the main seals just to make sure there was no leaks from the tranny into the crankcase. A lot of money and work for no reason. When you put your hand over one side of the exhaust, you can feel it hit and miss. The other side is fine. It almost seems like the spark isn't getting to the plug every time. We jumped the spark and it looked OK to me. It would jump at least an inch. Has anyone ever heard of a bad coil or wires that acted this way? Or maybe some top secret jetting or needle changes that I've never heard about? Thanks for the help.

We have this banshee that we've been messing around with for a few years and we can't get it to run right. We bought it brand new and it worked perfect at one time. It has Toomey T5s, Boyensen reeds and a Pro Flow filter kit. It runs super rich and it'll foul plugs especially when it idles.- we've changed the jets all the way down to 190s and it still runs rich with smoke pouring out- right now we have 280s at 1200 feet elevation. The pilot jets are 1-1/2 turns out. The clips for the needles are set in the 3rd groove down. I even swapped the carbs out with a buddies and it still did the same thing. We run BR7ES plugs. The reeds are good, the top end is brand new, and the stator is brand new. We even changed the cases and changed the main seals just to make sure there was no leaks from the tranny into the crankcase. A lot of money and work for no reason. When you put your hand over one side of the exhaust, you can feel it hit and miss. The other side is fine. It almost seems like the spark isn't getting to the plug every time. We jumped the spark and it looked OK to me. It would jump at least an inch. Has anyone ever heard of a bad coil or wires that acted this way? Or maybe some top secret jetting or needle changes that I've never heard about? Thanks for the help.

what are you mixing ratio with a good oil i can mix it 40:1 what are you mixing at

what are you mixing ratio with a good oil i can mix it 40:1 what are you mixing at

My mixture is 40:1, I use Yamalube oil with 91 octain fuel, just as the book says. The weird thing is that we've always ran it like this but the problem came on about 2 years after running it and we didn't change and mixtures or jets.

check your reeds for cracks or chips, clean carbs, check your compression

It has brand ne reeds, we even put in the old stock ones and same thing happened, carbs have been cleaned 3 times now and compression is just fine, we got a rebuild job from Duncan Racing.

The left side is smoking the right side isn't smoking much.

the left side when your sitting on it? I had my crank seal leak on the right hand side of my banshee when your sitting on it. The seal was leaking oil up through the piston and smoking like crap on the one side. If thats it you have to split the engine. If your oil goes down on your dipstick abnormally fast that could be the problem. Could be,

I have a freind that said the carb slides have to go in a certain carb. L carb slide goes in left carb. R in R. They will go in backwards and run like crud. Something to check. Also I had the exact same thing happen to my bike and it was compreesion. Check it again cold and it should be 125 if stock. Both plgs fire at the same time so try swaping wires then plugs. If all fails take it to duncan and say WTF.

the left side when your sitting on it? I had my crank seal leak on the right hand side of my banshee when your sitting on it. The seal was leaking oil up through the piston and smoking like crap on the one side. If thats it you have to split the engine. If your oil goes down on your dipstick abnormally fast that could be the problem. Could be,

I've changed the crank seal twice now bacause I thought the sae thing, but no luck.

I am having the same problem with my banshee. Like you I have re-sealed the entire engine, new rings, have got good compression and am currently working on getting the jetting right, however mine is doing the same thing, I heard someone mention something about the carb pistons being in mixed up will this cause it to be very difficult to get jetted right, I got the bike about 6 months ago and cant seem to get it right, and how do i tell what side is supposed to be where is it marked??

• Like 1

I am having the same problem with my banshee. Like you I have re-sealed the entire engine, new rings, have got good compression and am currently working on getting the jetting right, however mine is doing the same thing, I heard someone mention something about the carb pistons being in mixed up will this cause it to be very difficult to get jetted right, I got the bike about 6 months ago and cant seem to get it right, and how do i tell what side is supposed to be where is it marked??

Saturday, my brother and I worked on it and we came to a good conclusion that it's probably the coil or spark plug wires. We are both electricians and we checked them according to the instructions in the banshee owner's manual and the results point towards a bad coil. The book says when you check the spark it should be a blue color and we got white. Out volt meter said something's wrong between the coil and plug wires. We're waiting for a new coil to install so we can be positive, but I'll definitly keep you posted on how it comes out. I know what you're going through so I'll let you know.

if your talking about your slides in your carbs. The right side carb the one with the choke has a groove that has a indent the the idle screw goes into and holds it up. make sure that the groove and idle screw are hitting it in the proper spot. If it is you have it in the right side. Another way is to look at your slides with the air pod, or your air filter removed and be sure the cut out part of the slide is the part your seeing. If you have the cutout part facing your engine their backwards. IS your choke tube between the to carbs? and i hear you can get the bowls screwed up as well ie the right side on the left. I dont remember the difference between the 2 sides but I have heard this can cause problems.