New Honing Tool!

Got a new honing tool. I've used those goofy little ball hones up to this point and I'm sick of them. Spent a few extra bucks and got a better one. I can change inserts out for aluminum, cast iron, etc. and it has cleaning brushes to catch the crap that comes off the cylinder, so cleanup is a breeze.

Here's a set of dune-port cylinders I just did today.

- Jared

EDIT: Forgot to say... got it on ebay! Already honed like 5 sets of cylinders. LOL!

DSC00032-2.jpg

DSC00036-1.jpg

DSC00037-3.jpg

DSC00042-2.jpg

Edited by BigRed350x

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What Grit you usin Big red? ...looks a little coarse for a moly ring app.

Are you using plateauing stone/brushes afterwards?, what are you using for coolant/oil?

my pops used to use one where it was three stones that where set evenly spaced and where on spring loaded henges for tension, not sure what brand it was but the stones where enter changeable ... it worked very well for the application he was building...

i know he tryed the ones you where talking about with the several small ball looking things on it , and he didnt like them either

What Grit you usin Big red? ...looks a little coarse for a moly ring app.

Are you using plateauing stone/brushes afterwards?, what are you using for coolant/oil?

Yeah, those pics are before the finishing stone was used. LOL! I use the oil it recomments in the instructions, can't remember the name.

I start with 100 grit paper then move to 220 grit. Just rub in a circular motion and your good.

J/K :thumbsup:

I was about to freak out until I saw that J/K note. LOL! I actually know some people who "hone" like that. They always wonder why they go through a set of rings after about 30hrs. "Dude, I don't know why my cylinders aren't round..."

my pops used to use one where it was three stones that where set evenly spaced and where on spring loaded henges for tension, not sure what brand it was but the stones where enter changeable ... it worked very well for the application he was building...

i know he tryed the ones you where talking about with the several small ball looking things on it , and he didnt like them either

Yeah, I was going to get one of those things you are talking about before I settled on this unit. This one is very nice and seems to have pretty good quality in its construction and has interchangeable stones and wipers for different applications, so I figure it was a pretty good deal.

- Jared

Looks like a hone for the ck-10 power hone that most engine shops use for a final hone after bore. You can "bore" a cylinder with that setup by hand and it will be pretty straight, Is that what your doing? Looks good, what stones are you going to use for the final cut? Keep us updated.

you can probly get some of the oil used at machine shops when your cutting on a lathe or a mill and use that... if worse comes to worse douse that fucker with wd-40 lol the main thing is to keep the stones clean and not let them fill up with metal

Well fancy that, I happen to work at a machine shop! LOL! You are talking about either way oil or soluble oil. I would imagine way oil would work better.

Looks like a hone for the ck-10 power hone that most engine shops use for a final hone after bore. You can "bore" a cylinder with that setup by hand and it will be pretty straight, Is that what your doing? Looks good, what stones are you going to use for the final cut? Keep us updated.

I just ordered it with a bunch of different stones. One set was a "rough stone" the other was a "finish stone" the finish stone more resembles a wet stone for sharpening knives. Dunno what the roughness value on it is or anything, but its a finer stone that the one I used for the pics above. I will post a comparison picture of the rough stone vs. the finish stone and what they do to the cylinder once I finish up later tonight. Right now I'm just taking a break and watching some TV and shit. :whistling:

Alright, here's two shots... first one is after the rough stone passes. Second shot is after the finishing stone passes and its to bore.

Its tough to see in the pic, but there is a really really good cross-hatch pattern there. I just took the pic at a weird angle and it didn't show up. I am disappointed, but it looks just like any of the ones I've seen professionals do. haha!

- Jared

that's not residual scratches on the cylinder wall above the first transfer port, its from the wiper when I pulled the hone tool out without collapsing it. Ooops

DSC000522.jpg

DSC000512.jpg

Edited by BigRed350x