Woods Port?

olmick

Well ive decided to go ahead and get my bike ported while i have it tore down, im wanting a mx/trail port because i ride mainly trails, id like to hear some reviews of everyone who has them and who did their work for them, id like to know what the estimated hp would be with my mods in sig, also would it be for the better to upgrade the clutch or will the stock one handle the extra hp, my bike is an 03 but this was the first season on it cuz the guy i got it from never touched it, any info will be appreciated

also id like to know the total of each port/rebuild to see how much its gonna cost me to fix this thing

I am also a woods guy and my work was done by Dave Moore(previously MP now Dave Moore racing) I get alot of people commenting that they have never seen a Banshee perform like mine in the woods. Its got ALOT bottom (for a two stroke) however in addition to the port work I run 16cc domes wich requires 110 octane. There are alot of builders out ther who do very good work. Get some names make some phone calls and use the guy you feel good about. Good Luck.

how close to harlen or pikeville you located heard of richmond but cant remember how far its from big stone va. how close are you to livingston

Edited by dishman

yeah i jsut sold my trail/mx ported cylinders, cpcustoms did mine and they were the bomb!!! jsut wanted more power like a cub setup you all know how it is... but yes cp did mine for 350 and they ran awesome from bottom and all the way to a hard ass pulling top, hope this helps....

• 11 months later...
how close to harlen or pikeville you located heard of richmond but cant remember how far its from big stone va. how close are you to livingston

hey seen in a post u mentioned livingston, its about 1.5 hours away from me., not that far.. use to ride there all the time, but its been closed now for a couple years, have u heard any news of it opening back up?? was my favorite place to roost.

Woods ports generaly consist of A low duration exhaust and a high transfer duration Plus The intake and port tunnels worked to move the fuel/air through faster. It really wakes the motor up and choice of pipes are pretty key. Pro Circuts, CPI(Not just drag pipes they sign on fairly early), DMC 916s, or my personal choice Paul Turner Midrange pipes but Im getting a total custom port job for mine cause I know exactly where I want/Need my power to be and I know what pipes/Domes/Timing/Gearing/4mil crank I will be running. Plus I know the power of the Banshee and where I can get the best bang. I can also look at the port map being customized for mine and make changes here or there if I want but my guys pretty good so is Jim from Passions racing. Look to HERR JUGS RACING Also great prices and awsome work from what I hear.

Most important thing about porting for the woods is knowing where you want your power and what compression/timing and bolt ons youll be running and talking to a builder who can handle your needs I recomend my guys back here and James Smart of Passion Racing to do a great job for woods. Dont go to a Drag/Dune speicalist for a woods port.

Dynoport did mine, it was $500 and it pulls really hard from 5krpm to 8600 rpm. (limited rpm because of my pipes). I do my own trail porting now, haven't finished the first motor yet though. The key component to bottom end power here is good 165-175 range compression.

Dynoport did mine, it was $500 and it pulls really hard from 5krpm to 8600 rpm. (limited rpm because of my pipes). I do my own trail porting now, haven't finished the first motor yet though. The key component to bottom end power here is good 165-175 range compression.

If you are wearing woods porting, the port work is probably what is holding you down. Kinda have to take from Peter to pay Paul. Durations have to be held down for bottom end grunt and that will set a lower RPM max torque curve.

Brandon

If you are wearing woods porting, the port work is probably what is holding you down. Kinda have to take from Peter to pay Paul. Durations have to be held down for bottom end grunt and that will set a lower RPM max torque curve.

Brandon

Which is why I say CPIs could be a good choice with that port because of how early they sign on. I could see them getting in the way if your racing in technical spots though.

Lower duration ports done correctly can pull like a grunty 4 stroke up to 6k RPM and mid should pull like a truck. Taking away topend to get good low and mid is a great way to work/run a woods Banshee. A Woods port should be very broad with a slightly bigger bore to lower the exhuast duration.

Which is why I say CPIs could be a good choice with that port because of how early they sign on. I could see them getting in the way if your racing in technical spots though.

Lower duration ports done correctly can pull like a grunty 4 stroke up to 6k RPM and mid should pull like a truck. Taking away topend to get good low and mid is a great way to work/run a woods Banshee. A Woods port should be very broad with a slightly bigger bore to lower the exhuast duration.

YOu really need pipes that work with the porting. Using high rev pipes with low rev porting can spell problems. guess we have never tried it but the theory of flow and physics does not work. I am wondering where you are going on the bigger bore. That would not change the duration but I might be reading that wrong.

Brandon

The best performing woods bikes we have over done included either injection or the 1-2 intake with single carb and 2-1 pipe with woods porting. damn near rip your arms off but super fun to ride.

Edited by blowit

YOu really need pipes that work with the porting. Using high rev pipes with low rev porting can spell problems. guess we have never tried it but the theory of flow and physics does not work. I am wondering where you are going on the bigger bore. That would not change the duration but I might be reading that wrong.

Brandon

The best performing woods bikes we have over done included either injection or the 1-2 intake with single carb and 2-1 pipe with woods porting. damn near rip your arms off but super fun to ride.

overbore won't change the duration, but it will change the crank degrees when the port opens because the ports angle downward.