studs stripped

i stripped my jug studs a while back.:banghead: i put regular bolts in and it seemed to fix it :shoothead: . but i recently been noticing that coolent has been going into the piston. i took off the head and there was coolent all in the combustion chamber.:banghead: i looked at the gasket and tried to figure out why it is doing this. then i noticed that the gasket was messed up around the screw holes. it wasnt getting a good seal because the bolts were to fat.:shoothead: so know i need to figure out how to put new studs in when the threads are bigger then the studs. i heard of this helicoil stuff but i am not sure. i realy need some help cause i want to ride again. :banghead:

Edited by 4everwantedbanshee

Any local machine shop or a good automotive shop should have heli-coils. they basically screw into the threads you have and act as a smaller thread for a smaller bolt.

Another option is take it to a welding shop and have them fill in your holds with aluminum weld, then find a drill/tap that matches the OEM bolts and re-do it yourself or have a shop do it for you. Just make sure you get them in the right place. Ha Ha!

there are also thread repair inserts, like a thicker heli-coil, a pipe plug and a drill & tap to propper size will work to.

i stripped my jug studs a while back.:banghead: i put regular bolts in and it seemed to fix it :shoothead: . but i recently been noticing that coolent has been going into the piston. i took off the head and there was coolent all in the combustion chamber.:banghead: i looked at the gasket and tried to figure out why it is doing this. then i noticed that the gasket was messed up around the screw holes. it wasnt getting a good seal because the bolts were to fat.:shoothead: so know i need to figure out how to put new studs in when the threads are bigger then the studs. i heard of this helicoil stuff but i am not sure. i realy need some help cause i want to ride again. :banghead:

For the price of cylinders on e-bay, I would just get a new set.

i was just thinking of welding it myself and drilling it out and tapping it over. i also want to just take the easy way out and do the helisoil stuff.i tapped it already and put bolts in. alot of rtv is just trouble...lol :yelrotflmao: . i want to do it right the first time. i am going to try the helicoil stuff first. also were can i by new studs. new jugs are about $200. and if i am going to by new jugs i might as well by them ported and all. thanks

Edited by 4everwantedbanshee

i had craig at cpcustoms put an insert in one of my holes, and it will last as long as the cylinders... but heli-coils work because i have some in mine as well.... but if you can find those inserts that would be your best bet.... contact cpcustoms.com and he can fix your problems or just simply go with a heli-coil, but you also have a chance to rip them out if you over tighten them.... but good luck hope this helped....

i want cubs put those are not coming till next winter. maybe in the summer not sure. i am just going to do the helicoil thing. does anybody know were to by new studs or do i go to any atv parts or dealer. i tried to use bigger bolts but the gasket had a certain wideness in the stud holes. thats how i had the problem from not making a good seal. thanks