alchohal banshee

I never used to purge mine after every ride then it blew up and i pulled it apart and the crank was rusted from letting the alky set in it, but anyways now I purge my bike after every ride and have never had to change the plugs from the gasonline fouling them.

What exactly is purging? Is that running the motor dry? If not, what exactly is it?

ahh i thought you where into the pre runner types.. my bad

I am, but I was going to make long travel sundahl like a-arms and then put shocks on it that are meant for the dunes so that it would be tuned right.

making sure there is no alky sitting in your shits...when i raced go-kart when i was younger we ran gas through the tanks after draining the methonal sp? at the end of the night to flush the carbs and everyting out... alky sitting can messup metal...

Edited by Bansh-eman

making sure there is no alky sitting in your shits...when i raced go-kart when i was younger we ran gas through the tanks after draining the methonal sp? at the end of the night to flush the carbs and everyting out... alky sitting can messup metal...

Is that where you let the quad idle with the gas turned off, and then when the quad goes dead, that means your done?

Is that where you let the quad idle with the gas turned off, and then when the quad goes dead, that means your done?

Purging a bike is when you are running alcohol as a fuel, but before you put it away for the weekend you switvh your fuel source over to gasoline. :cool:

methanol is a dry chemical, it will eventually disolve brass (such as parts in the carbs) and aluminum..

that is eventually, not right away.. being that when it dries completely when it evaporates it will cause steel to rust unlike gasoline which is made from oil which when it evaporates leaves a sleight oily deposit on the steel keeping it from rusting..

when methanol evaporates it cools down, that is the advantage of the fuel.. the cooler running motor temps help with hp..

purging is when you run gasoline through the motor till it doesnt stay running anymore then your done.. drain the gas and hook the alcohol back up.. purging every day after running is overkill imho at the end of the weekend is tipically good enough unless your on a long trip..

methanol is a dry chemical, it will eventually disolve brass (such as parts in the carbs) and aluminum..

that is eventually, not right away.. being that when it dries completely when it evaporates it will cause steel to rust unlike gasoline which is made from oil which when it evaporates leaves a sleight oily deposit on the steel keeping it from rusting..

when methanol evaporates it cools down, that is the advantage of the fuel.. the cooler running motor temps help with hp..

purging is when you run gasoline through the motor till it doesnt stay running anymore then your done.. drain the gas and hook the alcohol back up.. purging every day after running is overkill imho at the end of the weekend is tipically good enough unless your on a long trip..

Ohhhhhh! So you do the same thing i explainened except for you do it with gasolin?

Ohhhhhh! So you do the same thing i explainened except for you do it with gasolin?

yes but you don't run the bike until it runs out of gas, that is bad on rings. Once the engine starts running on gas it will just die by itself because the jets for alcohol are soo much bigger it in a way just floods the engine. You have to drain all of the alcohol out of the tank and then put some gasonline in their, you can't just poor gasoline on top of the alky and start it.

yes but you don't run the bike until it runs out of gas, that is bad on rings. Once the engine starts running on gas it will just die by itself because the jets for alcohol are soo much bigger it in a way just floods the engine. You have to drain all of the alcohol out of the tank and then put some gasonline in their, you can't just poor gasoline on top of the alky and start it.

Most people do not drain their gas tank. They sumply have a disconnect in their fuel line where they can un hook the gas tank and hook in a bottle of gasoline for purging purposes. :beer:

Most people do not drain their gas tank. They sumply have a disconnect in their fuel line where they can un hook the gas tank and hook in a bottle of gasoline for purging purposes. :beer:

hence the purge valve with the extra line to add a supplementary fuel .. like a small bottle..

I am a cheap ass and just simply take a couple bolts out and drain what alcohol was left in the tank back into my jug and then put the tank back on. Then poor in the gas and start it up.

I have seen what you are talking about and it looks nice, but like I said I am a cheap ass on that little stuff that I don't necessarily HAVE to have.

alcohol helps "quench" the motors hott spots. if you have high velocity ports, like your intake port, you could possibly get frost or a extreemly cold reed and maybe colder front transfers(intake side)

and if your motor has a smaller exaust port your pipes will possibly be cool enough to touch at the end of a ride or a drag race.

and it does more of a rolling motion that a cumbusting motion. thus resulting is better power increase 15% atleast. more compressions isint ALWAYS better for alki. there is a deminishing point where alki wont like the PSI or tight squish clearences.

Gasoline likes high compression to, 91Octane cold run 18:1 compression ratios and not detonate if the motor is built properly. Thermodynamics, and Fluid mechanics are wonderful things to know when come to building pump gas engines.

Edited by JaysonP