Which Paddles to Buy?

Stinger

I've currently got some 8 paddle Dune Runner 22x11x10 tires and they used to work pretty good with my old engine setup. I just got back from Little Sahara and when dragging, I could not get out of the hole no matter what I did. If I just put it in 2nd and dumped the clutch with it pinned, it would just spin before finally grabbing (no wheelie) but everyone would be 2-3 bike lengths out on me by the time I got rolling. I could run down and pass most of the other quads but I'd run out of track with the "drag" bikes with extended swingers...though I'd be gaining. If they would stay in it, I'd pass them another 100-200 ft past the finish. So I've got the power to be pretty damn fast if I could hook up.

I tried slipping the clutch off the line and it worked no better...bog or spin. Even just cruising around the dunes it doesn't pull wheelies unless I've got someone sitting on the back...

With stock gearing these tires are actually too tall for the power I'm making because I can't pull 6th gear in the sand...just holds speed after the shift but I plan to gear it down before the next trip. I normally run 20" tires in the dirt and can pull them in 6th no problem (88-89mph according to the street bike beside me).

One problem with getting traction is my weight of 145lbs...consider this when suggesting paddles.

If you need more info let me know, engine info is in my sig and I attached a pic of my paddles.

I'm going to buy new paddles in hopes of getting a better holeshot while still being able to cruise the dunes well. What brand/size/paddle count should I look into?

On my stock bike my mods where stock cylinder just had vitos power pistons in it, v-force 2 reeds, stock carbs with the tors removed and inframe cpi's and a cool head. I had a +6 arm on it. I went down one tooth on the front from stock gearing. I ran 21-12-8 10 paddle haulers. It was a handful at night down there at little sahara in the trails but I really didn't have any trouble turning them. I also had a set of Paddla Brats that were lightened and stagerd cut and they hooked like a mofo and was awesome in the trails. But the Brats are very expensive. I just went back and read your post again. I missed the 145 lb part. Yeah I weight a little over 200 and needed to layover the front. Yeah you might want to stay with a 8 paddle.

Edited by F.A.S.T 1

What tire psi are you running?

I was originally running 3.5psi but the tires would spin on the bead and go flat. I had to run 5-6psi to keep them inflated...

Jeff at FAST helped on the porting so it's a bit more than just a RL stage III port...if I had some CPI's it would really scream.

So it looks like 8 Paddle Haulers, maybe 9 paddle if I plan to have new pipes by then...

Looks like 21x12x8 and 20x10x8 and 22x11x8 were all suggested. I do more duning then dragging so I assume the 10" wheel would be better for me. Which height and width though?

Who's got the best wheel and tire package deals price wise?

Do you draggers typically dump the clutch or slip it off the line?

Edited by Stinger

I was originally running 3.5psi but the tires would spin on the bead and go flat. I had to run 5-6psi to keep them inflated...

Jeff at FAST helped on the porting so it's a bit more than just a RL stage III port...if I had some CPI's it would really scream.

So it looks like 8 Paddle Haulers, maybe 9 paddle if I plan to have new pipes by then...

Looks like 21x12x8 and 20x10x8 and 22x11x8 were all suggested. I do more duning then dragging so I assume the 10" wheel would be better for me. Which height and width though?

Who's got the best wheel and tire package deals price wise?

Do you draggers typically dump the clutch or slip it off the line?

If you do more duning then yes go with a 10" wheel.I liked to run 22x11x10 8 paddle hauler for duning.

Rocky mountain atv has good deals on tire and wheel packages.

And as for us draggers-Yes I hold mine wide open and dump the clutch in second gear.

Sorry if I am blind, but what length swingarm? I run a full drag port(between 80 - 85 horse), 6 in swinger, and 22X11X8 9 paddle haulers buffed bead to bead(b2b). I hook hard, I am skyward every launch, can usually catch third before front wheels touch.

Stock length swingarm, I'm probably only 55-65 horse. My lack of skyward action with a stock swinger illustrates the problem with my paddles. I'm sure not being heavy enough to put any substantial weight over the tires doesn't help either.

personally i think those tires you run arent very tall paddle height wise like some sand devils.

you get some haulers i dont think youll be having any problems.

21-12-8 9 or whatever should be decent.

ive seen stock bikes with just pipes smoke those molded type tires put a set of haulers on and it hooked up a lot better.