Title vs. No Title

Bubba_wrx

I was just wondering what you guys thought about buying a quad without a title? I know a guy thats got a killer deal on a shee that I am wanting. I know the guy personally and I know he wouldnt have stolen the bike...but I dont know exactly where it came from before him. He's had the bike probably a year almost and he's just now going through it and rebuilding everything. He's having to sell it cuz he's only 20 and he's getting married here soon and needs the money. I was just wondering what you guys thought about this....I mean if I bought it would I really have anything to worry about? Although I dont know if the previous owners couldve just lost the title to it ya know. I also live in a little town which I wouldnt think i'd have to worry about it, but just curious if you guys thought I may run into any kind of problems or anything. I know I wont be able to finance it...but i'm working on that through my bank right now...so i'll practically be buying it with cash. So let me know what you guys think.

Edited by Bubba_wrx

If your worried, get the serial number off the frame, and call the sheriff department. They'll be able to tell you if its stolen or not.

Well, as far as just not having a title myself I'm not really worried about that. But I wouldnt want to run into problems for any reason while I have it. Also this guy is a friend of mine so I really wouldnt want to bring any unwanted attn. to him having it or anything. I wouldnt want him to get into any trouble or have them come get his quad or anything. I'm just mainly wondering if you think I would run into any problems. I mean like if say for any reason I got stopped by a cop/ranger and they asked me like if I had a title or anything...do they do that?

Depending on where you live, or where the bike came from, it may have never been titled. Here in NJ we just rectently started titling ATVS, so anything that's 2004? or older won't have a title, unless you really really wanted one when you bought it. I don't have titles for either of my shees, or for most of my bikes. A notarized hand written recipt with the VIN number, sale price, etc. is all you need to have the bike registered(plus insurance). And the only reason I do that is so I can get my bike out of impound when that happens. I would call the DMV.police, check the VIN, if it comes up clean, a notarized hand written receipt is more then you will need. I have done this on most of the bikes I have bought, and in NJ anyway it has ot failed me. Good luck on that blaster sale too!

Thanks, but what would they do if it did turn up stolen and here I was calling about it. Cuz this dude is a friend of mine and I wouldnt want to get him into anything ya know. Oh yeah, I'm in East TN. Also this is a 1999 shee, so I dont know. Wonder where I could read about the rules here around my area? Like without actually asking someone that could dig around or something and get my friend in trouble or get his quad impounded/repoed or whatever.

I would deff. researce the VIN #'s and check it out, bec. if Mr. police officer wants to make sure your ride is legit and the vin come up stolen your gona loose you shit and be in posession of stolen property or if the frame is powdercoated and the VIN's are covered its gonna be nearlly impossible to get it back.I don't know how much this guys asking but if your getting a loan threw the bank thier going to need a title to puit a lien on and might want you to register and insure it wicth you gonna need a title for. Unless your getting a personal loan which doesn't matter if you have a title or not but are also gonna be harder to get approved for. Aleast thats how things work in my neck of the woods.

I would deff. researce the VIN #'s and check it out, bec. if Mr. police officer wants to make sure your ride is legit and the vin come up stolen your gona loose you shit and be in posession of stolen property or if the frame is powdercoated and the VIN's are covered its gonna be nearlly impossible to get it back.I don't know how much this guys asking but if your getting a loan threw the bank thier going to need a title to puit a lien on and might want you to register and insure it wicth you gonna need a title for. Unless your getting a personal loan which doesn't matter if you have a title or not but are also gonna be harder to get approved for. Aleast thats how things work in my neck of the woods.

Yeah, thats really the only thing I'm worried about is if I get pulled over with it in my truck or get stopped while riding or something. I will be buying it with cash...so no problem dealing with a loan. The deal is a heck of one....its a 99, newly rebuilt bottom end(crank, rod, bearings), and a fresh top end, newer orange plastic, freshly painted blue frame, pc pipes. And the kicker is it comes with an entire other parts quad with a motor....all for 2500. But he hasnt got titles for either. So what im thinking is I may try to find a "legal" frame and swap everything. Then I could sell parts off the parts quad(cuz i'll probably not need them really) and re-imburse myself for a "legal" frame. Then I could take the frames and dump them...cuz i wouldnt want to try to sell them and get in the middle of someone else buying them or whatever. What does this sound like? How hard/long would it be to swap everything to another bare frame? Its a heck of a deal so I kinda hate to pass it up.

I was just wondering what you guys thought about buying a quad without a title? I know a guy thats got a killer deal on a shee that I am wanting. I know the guy personally and I know he wouldnt have stolen the bike...but I dont know exactly where it came from before him. He's had the bike probably a year almost and he's just now going through it and rebuilding everything. He's having to sell it cuz he's only 20 and he's getting married here soon and needs the money. I was just wondering what you guys thought about this....I mean if I bought it would I really have anything to worry about? Although I dont know if the previous owners couldve just lost the title to it ya know. I also live in a little town which I wouldnt think i'd have to worry about it, but just curious if you guys thought I may run into any kind of problems or anything. I know I wont be able to finance it...but i'm working on that through my bank right now...so i'll practically be buying it with cash. So let me know what you guys think.

go to A pay phone call police say your john doe &you want to know if vin #... has been reported stolen you want to buy it from jane doe down the street but she doesn't have the title.

I live in Kansas and we are supposed to title our bikes here but its not enforced so alot of times you wont get a title. I have never been questioned about by Banshee by anybody. I have been to Idaho, Oklahoma, Kansas (of course), and I'm going to Colorado for this weekend and its never been questioned. I am going through this right now on another bike that I am buying that has no title. The best thing to do is just get a bill of sale with your name and his name and the VIN on it(even if you have to scratch the pc off in order to get it). Both of you sign and date it. This way, if you ever have a problem you can go back to that bill of sale and say this is the guy I got it from. I know he is your friend but you have to cover your ass. More than likely you will have no problems at all. The guy I bought my Banshee from has the title for it but it has never been titled. BTW - if you decide to dump those frames, let me know, I would be more than happy to "pay you for the shipping" and "dump them for you". :baseball_shifty: :biggrin:

I live in Kansas and we are supposed to title our bikes here but its not enforced so alot of times you wont get a title. I have never been questioned about by Banshee by anybody. I have been to Idaho, Oklahoma, Kansas (of course), and I'm going to Colorado for this weekend and its never been questioned. I am going through this right now on another bike that I am buying that has no title. The best thing to do is just get a bill of sale with your name and his name and the VIN on it(even if you have to scratch the pc off in order to get it). Both of you sign and date it. This way, if you ever have a problem you can go back to that bill of sale and say this is the guy I got it from. I know he is your friend but you have to cover your ass. More than likely you will have no problems at all. The guy I bought my Banshee from has the title for it but it has never been titled. BTW - if you decide to dump those frames, let me know, I would be more than happy to "pay you for the shipping" and "dump them for you". :baseball_shifty: :biggrin:

Haha, I'll keep that in mind. But have you ever been pulled over with your fourwheeler in your truck/trailer. Or stopped while your riding by a ranger or whatever. I'm just afraid that even if I do have a Bill of Sale that I'll get some a$$hole cop that just chooses he wants to be a d**k that day or something and not settle for that. And dont you have to know(which I dont) the original owner/possesor of the title to be able to have a legit BOS?

I have been pulled over with the bike in the truck but they never asked about the bike. As far as a ranger goes, I have never had a problem with one. The fact that your frame is powder coated will help also. If a cop or ranger wants to see if you have a title for your bike, you are not going to carry it with you. I bet 9 out of 10 cops and rangers dont even know where to look for a VIN let alone work hard enough to find it. I wouldnt worry about it too much. The BOS would help if you ever had to go to court for it. It would be less likely that they would charge you with possesion of stolen property if you have that. But they would try to find out how your friend ended up with it. Seriously, dont worry about it. Just ride it and have fun. Does your state have a law saying that you have to title your atvs? If not, dont sweat it. If they do, just PM me on those frames! :headbang:

Yeah, I'm going to agree with Duner, through all the trouble I have had in the past with law enforcement, I've never been asked for a VIN, title, registration, or any other way to show I won the bike. Evene on my trips to the impound, I have never been asked for more then a liscense. Like Duner said, most cops proabably don't even know where the VIN is. I wouldnt be too worried, even if you don't call, but have that notarized bill of sale, that is going to cover you damn well in a court of law. Good luck bro!

Well, as far as just not having a title myself I'm not really worried about that. But I wouldnt want to run into problems for any reason while I have it. Also this guy is a friend of mine so I really wouldnt want to bring any unwanted attn. to him having it or anything. I wouldnt want him to get into any trouble or have them come get his quad or anything. I'm just mainly wondering if you think I would run into any problems. I mean like if say for any reason I got stopped by a cop/ranger and they asked me like if I had a title or anything...do they do that?

from your posts, it sounds like you either know its been stolen, or have a strong suspicion. I would ask for the name of the previous owner (the one before your friend) & call them. If you can't get this information from your friend- " IT'S STOLEN!!!"

I would be suspicious of a quad with no title, as for not wanting to bring attention to your friend if he bought a stolen quad then he is no better than the person who stole it. Just like if you buy it without checking to see IF its stolen you will be no better than the guy who stole it. I think its your duty as a fellow bansheeHQer to check on it to make sure its not stolen whether you buy it or not.