Fresh motor, more smoke on right than on left?

cRaZyShee8

Just finished my complete rebuild about a month ago. I havent had much time to ride, and have ridden on the street a little bit trying to break the motor in. Havent even hit powerband yet. I had the bike out yesterday, and just ran it around low rpms for a little bit. When I pulled back in my driveway, i noticed almost zero smoke out of the left side pipe. Heres some quick stats:

360 mains

30 pilots

B8ES plugs

103 Octane MTBE fuel (Up here in the NE all we have at the pump is ethanol fuels, I refuse to run them, so this is my only other option, $7.95 a gal!)

Castor 927 2 stroke oil

Both mixture screws out 2.5 turns

Both slide stops set same distance out

21cc Domes in cool head

Any quick thoughts?

Edit: 32:1 Premix ratio, Sea level to 300' elevation at all riding areas.

Edited by cRaZyShee8

I would be looking for a air leak. What do you mean by fresh motor? Did you just do a top end or did you split the cases?

If you just did a top end your gaskets should all have been replaced. I would start looking at the crank seals. If your getting no smoke on the LH side then there is probably an air leak. Usually if your RH crank seal is leaking you will have smoke on the LH side and way excessive smoke on the right hand side (burning trans oil).

You could take the plastic cover off of the flywheel side and then start it up. Get some starting fluid and spray it behind the flywheel why it is running. Listen for an rpm change.

You could also spray it around carb boots and base gaskets to check them as well.

Yes , i had a similar problem , my crank seal was bad and had tranny oil being pulled into engine and some how shooting up inbetween the cylnders/boots , and burning it out the exhuast aswell , it was littterly dripping tranny oil out my right hand side exhuast, draining my tranny oil through my motor was not a easy fix. MY cases didnt match up ethier since i tried to build the motor. Fuckin moron i was .

I would be looking for a air leak. What do you mean by fresh motor? Did you just do a top end or did you split the cases?

If you just did a top end your gaskets should all have been replaced. I would start looking at the crank seals. If your getting no smoke on the LH side then there is probably an air leak. Usually if your RH crank seal is leaking you will have smoke on the LH side and way excessive smoke on the right hand side (burning trans oil).

You could take the plastic cover off of the flywheel side and then start it up. Get some starting fluid and spray it behind the flywheel why it is running. Listen for an rpm change.

You could also spray it around carb boots and base gaskets to check them as well.

By fresh motor, I meant I split the cases, refreshed the trans bearings and seals, all crank case seals. Fresh top end with a complete Cometic gasket kit. All new carb parts, gaskets, jets, seals, screws. New o ring kit on the ADA cool head.

Ill check for air leaks around the boots, might be a good place to start. I hope its not a crank seal, or a leaky case.........

As far as you guys saying the carbs arent synched, do you mean the slide stop screws?

Found out why I had no smoke on the left cylinder-

Went to try and start it this morning, and found this,

-Kick start VERY stiff, had to real lean on it to kick it over the first time, thought to myself, oh shit.... almost felt seized.

-Compression tested after this, wanted to make sure everything was ok, 190 on left, 185 on right. All good there.

-Kicked a couple more times, not starting. Kicked about 20-30 more times, now I see raw fuel coming out where my expansion chamber couples to the silencer pipe on the left side.

-Raw fuel in exhaust, makes me think, float valve stuck open.

-Pull left carb off, completely clean, float valve is free, nothing found in any jet or passage.

-Noticed slide stop (idle screw, whatever you wanna call it) is missing! This explains my no smoke/lean condition/air leak on the left cylinder. Must have rattled out?

This is where I am at, waiting to hear from my buddy who has a couple Shee's, he might have a slide stop screw. But what do you think would cause the raw fuel in exhaust when the float valve is not stuck? And why would it be flooding out today? Kinda strange how it was lean last time I ran it, and now it wont start cuz its flooding out......

• 1 month later...