Jetting!

First off...you need to tone that attitude down.... It's your builders fault, not ours...

If you already know it's rich, why don't you take each of your carbs off. Keep them and all their associated parts separate so you don't mix them up. Take each one apart down to nothing.

That will be the best learning experience for you right there. You said you have mechanical skill, so this should not be a problem.

Second, read the jetting FAQ on the top of this forum....it tells you what jet controls what circuit...or in other words, which jet controls what throttle position.

Keep in mind, your pilot jet and air screw have very little to do with the overall performance of the bike....from idle to 1/8 throttle.

So...focus in on where it is rich. Do research on a plug chop. If the mains are too rich, get the next 2 to 3 sizes leaner. If it's boggy in the 1/4 to 3/4 throttle area, you're probably rich on the needle, so bump the needle up (towards the blunt end) to lean it out....or vice versa to richen it up.

None of us got good at jetting by ONLY asking questions...we learned how to read plugs, understand how the carb works, and go from there. If you're asking us to tell you the exact jet you need, we can't. Each bike is different, riding locale, temp, elevation. We can get you close, but...it sounds like you are already there... You need to figure out how to fine tune from there based on how/where you ride.....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I not being clear or something?????? I specifically stated that I was lacking knowledge when it comes to jetting a bike properly. I simply asked for peoples opinion. What arent you understanding?? I paid to have them port and polish and freshin up the top end. Thier job is to jet it right so that its running its best. What arent you understanding?????????????????????????

haha excellent way to get help here buddy...keep in mind, i know how to jet my bike and make it run like its supposed to, unlike you. so you should chill out some and maybe listen to what people have to say. if u wanna sell your cylinders and your setup go ahead. have another builder do something for you. then, when they dont set it up to real world conditions just perfectly or it gets cold out and you have to jet up a little you can blame them again and get a new setup...sounds good huh...

Change your jets already....geez, it takes maybe 10 minutes to do. You'd be willing to rip it all apart and start over rather than pull the carb bowls off and change two main jets? :shoothead:

You can't blame Duncan because you're jetting is off, that's ridiculous. Everybody's setup is different, there's no "set" jetting for a port job; there are too many variables to consider

I can totally understand why they are against the T6's...T6's were designed for stock port engines. It's not fair to knock the engine builder because you don't want to take his suggestion. If you were doing what they recommended and it still ran like crap, sure, you can point some blame at them...but this is not the case. You should change pipes anyway now that you're running ported cylinders...T5's, paul turner high revs, anything but T6's :shrug:

Hey thanks for all the input guys. I am not knocking the builder (well maybe I am a little) but I for the money I spent you guys would understand. I guess your right, I am looking for more of a direct answer. I have taken apart the carbs several times. I think I was just looking for someone with the similar setup, altitiude, temp, blah blah that could give me a round a bout on thier size jets so I could compare. Another thing is its hard to go anywhere to tune my bike unless its the desert. There is nowhere to ride around here and most of the time someone calls the cops if I bring it outside. I do appologize for lashing out at you but I am sort of frustrated. This is the first time I built a banshee and if I had the chance I would do it all over again.

Are t6's really that bad of a pipe when it comes to ported motors? does anyone have any dyno comparisions? I bought these pipes when they first came out so I dont think to many people were aware of that.

Toomey said themselves that the T6's were designed for a stock port engine. This was taken from Toomey's site under the T6 add: www.toomey.com

"This all new pipe, designed specifically for the standard non-modified Yamaha Banshee Engine, creates more low-end and mid-range power AND peak power than any other pipe design available."

But, for now, let's try and get it jetted right. If your plugs are black, then you are definitely too rich. Does it sputter in the high RPM's? What size main jets are in there now?

Damn, I couldnt of said it better..... thats why we get along so good :beer:

First off...you need to tone that attitude down.... It's your builders fault, not ours...

If you already know it's rich, why don't you take each of your carbs off. Keep them and all their associated parts separate so you don't mix them up. Take each one apart down to nothing.

That will be the best learning experience for you right there. You said you have mechanical skill, so this should not be a problem.

Second, read the jetting FAQ on the top of this forum....it tells you what jet controls what circuit...or in other words, which jet controls what throttle position.

Keep in mind, your pilot jet and air screw have very little to do with the overall performance of the bike....from idle to 1/8 throttle.

So...focus in on where it is rich. Do research on a plug chop. If the mains are too rich, get the next 2 to 3 sizes leaner. If it's boggy in the 1/4 to 3/4 throttle area, you're probably rich on the needle, so bump the needle up (towards the blunt end) to lean it out....or vice versa to richen it up.

None of us got good at jetting by ONLY asking questions...we learned how to read plugs, understand how the carb works, and go from there. If you're asking us to tell you the exact jet you need, we can't. Each bike is different, riding locale, temp, elevation. We can get you close, but...it sounds like you are already there... You need to figure out how to fine tune from there based on how/where you ride.....

You're rich....

That's fatter jetting than I have, and mine's a 4mil cub.

Go down a few sizes on the pilots.

Try a 45 and 48.

I'd get a 155 and 152 main, as well....

Thanks man. I wasn't looking at getting a perfect answer. More of a ballpark figure that would help me get this thing tuned. I agree I do think its rich but like I said its hard for me to tune it unless I am at the desert. Now that I have some kind of baseline to wrok with I can go get some jets accordingly. Thanks guys and again I appologize if I lashed out at anyone and offended them.

I have one more question. Do you guys think that getting in jetted properly would bring out the beast in it?? I just feel that my bike should be running alot faster than it is. I know that running it rich could affect its performance but ultimatly in the end how much of a difference does that make? I mean obviously I am running rich but do a few jet sizes make that much of a difference?

Damn, I couldnt of said it better..... thats why we get along so good :beer:

Word!!

We all get upset and frustrated...perfectly understandable.

Even more commendable you got past it, apologized....and got back to business!

Believe me...it sucks making some minor changes then having to wait a while or drive a while to see how well they worked...not like you can drive it up and down the street (well, most of us can't anywho...)