bad reeds?

what happens when the reeds are bad?heres the problem,my shee runs great at wot,however when part throttle cruising or low engine speed it bogs baddly and starts to foul plugs,but if i keep the rpm's high it still runs great.I did a compression test last night and neither cylinder is down on compression,and also it is had to start now.The carbs have been cleaned twice now and i have been running the same setup for several months without this problem occuring,which leads me to believe it may be the reed valves which are stock,any thoughts???

could be reeds, tors, wrong mains mind telling us whether or not tors is removed what your mains are. If the reeds are still stock spend 15 dollars and buy some new ones. They are easy to replace and cheap but several things could cause this. The plugs you are running may not be hot enough if you are fouling them at low speeds and not at high speeds. this doesnt sound like a reed problem to me. Sounds more like a carb problem or tors problem. let us know and i will get back to you.

tors is still hooked up the e-brake is also there but definitley not the problem,im sure its not the jets as stated before ive been running this set-up for the better parts of 6 months and it just started happening which would rule out the jetting,and ive owed banshees since 89 so im very familiar with the carbs and quit sure that the problem isnt a dirtry or clogged jet.I dont recall what jets are in the mains but the low speed jets are stock,and the pin is ont the second from the bottom or vise versa,acnt recall.Im going to pull the carbs again tommorrow and check the jetting and the reeds ill post back my findings,any other suggestions will be appreciated

my shee runs great at wot,however when part throttle cruising or low engine speed it bogs baddly and starts to foul plugs,but if i keep the rpm's high it still runs great.

thats exactly what mine did i had a whole petal break off one of my reeds. mine blew fuel back thru the carb soaking my air filter in fuel.

thats exactly what mine did i had a whole petal break off one of my reeds. mine blew fuel back thru the carb soaking my air filter in fuel.

thats exactly what mine is doing the airfilters and the rear of the carbs have fuel in them,im pretty sure ill find my problem there ill keep you guys updated

well i tor it down today heres what i found:reeds were in good shape gonna replace them as long as its apart,there is unburnt fuel in the left reed cage,not sure why.Im posistive the slides are in the correc carbs,Im very cautious about that when i clean the carbs.So heres my delema,I ve eliminated all the posibilities for a problem that i can, the only 2 things that are still in question are the tors and the main jets.How do yoy bypass the tors???and while its apart im gonna jet it down a few sizes and see how it runs then.Is it possible if the main jets are too big it will affect the part throttle drivability???

• 1 year later...
what happens when the reeds are bad?heres the problem,my shee runs great at wot,however when part throttle cruising or low engine speed it bogs baddly and starts to foul plugs,but if i keep the rpm's high it still runs great.I did a compression test last night and neither cylinder is down on compression,and also it is had to start now.The carbs have been cleaned twice now and i have been running the same setup for several months without this problem occuring,which leads me to believe it may be the reed valves which are stock,any thoughts???

sounds to me like you need to adjust the needles.