Thumb Throttle

OK. I rode in my first AMA race over the weekend. I got my ass kicked :baseball_w00t: The track we were riding was top level and about 1.5 miles long, 110 Ft table top and a brutal step-up step-down section.

By the 3rd out of 4 laps, my thumb and right forearm hurst so bad, I could barely push the throttle in. I am wondering if my throttle is stiff? It feels normal to me, but I have been riding my quad for the last six months, so maybe I am just adapted to it.

I am thinking of switching to a twist. I also have a CR125R, so I know about the twist throttles and all the things (Good and Bad) that go along with them.

I would like to hear from the racers out there. It is a whole new level when the gate drops vs. riding on your buddy's track or in the woods.

Is it me or the thumb throttle? :shoothead:

Where is the article.............?

After a day at the dunes my thumb starts to get used to it so its not so bad. The other thing that I try is putting the tip of the thumb lever deeper into my thumb down by the base. That way I don't need a lot of pressure to push it.............. :beer:

I use a thumb throttle, twist will kill you out there. To control a quad you need to use the bars, thats why they come with thumb throttle. Bikes you use your legs more!

Yes if you race use a thumb throttle for sure..Last year in supermotard race after couple of laps my thumb and wrist make a lot of pain and the only solution I found are practised

after riding all day with the thumb throttle i tend to twitch my clutch hand, left foot, and thumb (reflexes lol) during sleep :shrug: :shoothead: eat a facking banana it works great for that shit after riding for hours

Edited by LIM_Whiteboy4life

you can pull the springs out the carbs and take a bench grinder adn lightly grind the outer edge and i twill weaken the spring so it doesnt hurt so much.

takes a bit just remove a little at a time and what not.

you can pull the springs out the carbs and take a bench grinder adn lightly grind the outer edge and i twill weaken the spring so it doesnt hurt so much.

takes a bit just remove a little at a time and what not.

Hell, I cut 3 or 4 coils off of my springs before it was soft enough that it wouldn't hurt my thumb. Been working great for 2 years...

Dude you should try to push my thumb throttle with two 34 Mikuni FS's. I cut 4 coils off the springs and it will still make you cry after 5 minutes. My friend laughed when I had him push my thumb throttle. You can get used to it if you ride often enough. My twist was nice for saving the thumb but is was also harder on the wrist and I think I can controll the throttle better with the thumb.

Hell, I cut 3 or 4 coils off of my springs before it was soft enough that it wouldn't hurt my thumb. Been working great for 2 years...

works on some carbs , and some the springs are not long enough and wont shut completely every time.