porting

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowledge, pure and simple. Not everyone knows what specifications a port job should conform to. How much do you open up the ports? How does that affect flow and flow velocity. How does it change the port timing? Where can you make small alterations and gain 2 HP? I by no means understand even a good deal, compared to the true builders (by profession) on here, but you are paying for the fact that they no the answers to these questions, and most don't. Also, to have the correct tools for 100% proper porting it costs a fair amount. I have to believe though that with a firm mechanical knowledge a person could port close to a good builder, but it will likely take 10 times the time, to make sure that you do it right. I plan on doing my own, with some help from RaceLogic templates, and then some tinkering from there. But you have to have the knowlodge, or take the time to fully understand what most builders already know.

triple my horse power from a port???

i still dont see how it can cost 300 to 600 to port a motor

See above!

I don't know that I would claim triple your horsepower, but you could conceivably take a bike from upper 40's to mid 50's into the 70's.

Like I said, it isn't that there is $300-600 in physical work. It's called intellectual property. They have knowledge that most don't, and unless you want to go at it blindly yourself, you're going to pay for it.

like others have said your paying for their knowledge and skill with the type motor. banshee's start out with about 30hp (give or take a little) a decent mild port job (with associated parts) will get you into the 60's pretty good, a specific built motor can a will yeild in the 90's or 100hp range (with the right set up)..

Any more you can just buy cylinders that already have the porting from the factory. Like the Cub cylinder. It already has what most builders would charge an arm and a leg for in porting. Yes, there is still work to be done on them, but they are a damn good running setup from the get-go. I've never been on a dyno, but I know mine is pushing around pretty decent power.

If you try and teach yourself porting you will start to understand what it is they charge for. Go get some books on static/dynamic flow characteristics, and some porting manuals from the 80's and you will start to see... There is a LOT more than just rooting around in there with a dremel.

Why are engineers paid so much? Anyone can slap some shit together, its the knowledge to do it safely and effectively that makes them the big bucks.

Well Said BigRed

One thing that no one has mentioned is just the time it takes a builder to do it. Some clean-up ports may not take to long but i bet a "600 dollar" one takes some time.

Another thing that porting helps with is setting up the power WHEN and WHERE you need it. Any badass bike you see that RIPS either has some sort of porting or a badass designed topend(cubs,trex, ect)

RIPPEN

Yep, but the reasoning for knowledge is eh given for free. really.

Take a race logic and use either a dremel or air grinder and you're looking at 5+ hours not including if they squeeze into the transfers which the 2 year old race logic doesn't but the brand new supposedly(salt yo) does.

at 5 hours for $300 your paying a basic labor rate at an auto shop that knows jack shit about 2 strokes.

Really though unless you have 10 hours give/take 3, a dremel that just pay someone to do it.

If your looking for top of the line drag dont do it yourself PERIOD.

Well Said BigRed

One thing that no one has mentioned is just the time it takes a builder to do it. Some clean-up ports may not take to long but i bet a "600 dollar" one takes some time.

Another thing that porting helps with is setting up the power WHEN and WHERE you need it. Any badass bike you see that RIPS either has some sort of porting or a badass designed topend(cubs,trex, ect)

RIPPEN

And, that $600 probably doesn't buy much more than a days time at the shop. I know it doesn't at mine.

You could always spend 200 and get a cleanup port :yankyank:

just so you can put into perspective

Im having my builder design custom pipes for the port work he is doing and he has a garuntee that he will make me more HP then the grand rivers or the jobs on him and for the price im paying hahahhahahahahah practically free :yelrotflmao: Thanks to stickers

You could always spend 200 and get a cleanup port :yankyank:

just so you can put into perspective

Im having my builder design custom pipes for the port work he is doing and he has a garuntee that he will make me more HP then the grand rivers or the jobs on him and for the price im paying hahahhahahahahah practically free :yelrotflmao: Thanks to stickers

Do you have a set of GRR pipes to run on it? I'd try like hell to find a set and run them just to chance getting a free port job. LOL

we ran the motor with the grr's and the port job it had , and i dont even want to say the # it was at ( its depressing ) low LOW . So he is garuntee'ing me the numbers i want ... i wouldnt consider the port job free because i have traded alot of work for work........ 10 thousand biz cards , 2 banners , 1 stand alone sign , a hundred stickers . We will just have to wait and see wont we ,Going for tripple digit hp's , lectrons and all. Will post pics when she is done , they are by far the fastest people in FLA. I know'n these people for close to 7 years , they are not just some radom people. We sold the pipes to a shop around here who wants them for a 16mill trex.... Im not worried i been wanting a set of inframes that will perform . will keep ya posted red

- chase

EDIT : ALL there bikes that they drag on , run there custom pipes. THEY ARE FAST AS SHIT !!!!!!

we ran the motor with the grr's and the port job it had , and i dont even want to say the # it was at ( its depressing ) low LOW . So he is garuntee'ing me the numbers i want ... i wouldnt consider the port job free because i have traded alot of work for work........ 10 thousand biz cards , 2 banners , 1 stand alone sign , a hundred stickers . We will just have to wait and see wont we ,Going for tripple digit hp's , lectrons and all. Will post pics when she is done , they are by far the fastest people in FLA. I know'n these people for close to 7 years , they are not just some radom people. We sold the pipes to a shop around here who wants them for a 16mill trex.... Im not worried i been wanting a set of inframes that will perform . will keep ya posted red

- chase

EDIT : ALL there bikes that they drag on , run there custom pipes. THEY ARE FAST AS SHIT !!!!!!

Look forward to seeing how it runs.