How do you clean your carburetors?

night

purely out of curiosity, how would think you would go about cleaning your carburetors? give us a detailed explaination and we'll tell you if you are wrong or any details or steps you have missed.sometimes doing things for yourself is a good way to learn. after that you'll probably remember the proceedure alot easier. just trying to help.

Buy a big can of carb cleaner.

Tear aprt carb.

empty can of carb cleaner into carb.

assemble carb.

tada!

Actually if you just take them apart, remove all the jets, floats, valves, springs, bells & whistles and spray everything down real good you should be pretty safe. Just make sure you have a clean work area.

Buy a big can of carb cleaner.

Tear aprt carb.

empty can of carb cleaner into carb.

assemble carb.

tada!

Actually if you just take them apart, remove all the jets, floats, valves, springs, bells & whistles and spray everything down real good you should be pretty safe. Just make sure you have a clean work area.

Its easy to take both units out and put them back in, however its difficult once the units taken out to break them apart and put them back together.

There are some thing like 10 parts to each carb, right? (1 big part and 9 small parts)

How do you put the parts back together, which part is the most difficult?

Thanks.

Its easy to take both units out and put them back in, however its difficult once the units taken out to break them apart and put them back together.

There are some thing like 10 parts to each carb, right? (1 big part and 9 small parts)

How do you put the parts back together, which part is the most difficult?

Thanks.

I normaly just get that big carb cleaner can with the tray,take the bowls off and soak them a little while and put them back on.I usally do it every time i have a reason to take them off and it seems to keep them pretty clean,

I normaly just get that big carb cleaner can with the tray,take the bowls off and soak them a little while and put them back on.I usally do it every time i have a reason to take them off and it seems to keep them pretty clean,

Thanks RILS, I like your way, however its not the ultimate way.

Describing instructions for taking apart a carb would be a little time consuming. Basically you need to remove the main jet, spray some cleaner down in there, remove the pilot jet, spray some junk down in there, remove the floats, spray all over under their little valve. Just wing it and tear them apart, just put parts in order so when you go to re-assemble you can.

I have some old stockers around the shed somewhere, maybe I can make you a little picture walkthrough tomarrow when i get up.

Describing instructions for taking apart a carb would be a little time consuming. Basically you need to remove the main jet, spray some cleaner down in there, remove the pilot jet, spray some junk down in there, remove the floats, spray all over under their little valve. Just wing it and tear them apart, just put parts in order so when you go to re-assemble you can.

I have some old stockers around the shed somewhere, maybe I can make you a little picture walkthrough tomarrow when i get up.

From Me to Greatest of the Greatest BigRed350x, thank you, I appreciate it.

Any time you remove a part from the carb, clean that part thoroughly, then clean the carb both around where the part came from and the main shafts/chambers as well, since you might have dislodged other sand/crap that could fall into other parts of the carb.

Clean the exterior of the carb real good, clean the slide tube and the main mixing chamber/tube.

e44afdbe.jpg

Remove the 4 screws holding the bowl on.

7754ea8b.jpg

Clean the bowl out real good, including the choke tube.

efe093ec.jpg

Unscrew your main jet. spray some cleaner through the jet and make sure nothing is in there.

a75892a9.jpg

Spray down where you just pulled the main jet from.

f73700c1.jpg

remove the splash guard.

d588d152.jpg

remove the washer below the splash guard.

09bbd640.jpg

remove your pilot jet and clean in there / the jet. You will need a small screwdriver for this.

1d8e8de7.jpg

5ea2b69a.jpg

3c03af29.jpg

Punch out the pin holding the float. I just used the tip of my screwdriver and tapped it with my gerber tool and it popped right out.

af6c532c.jpg

109a5603.jpg

remove the float

6f0ef41d.jpg

fcdd162f.jpg

Remove the litlte valve that sits on the float arm and clean it real good.

8b34526f.jpg

unscrew the screw that holds the float valve perch.

b0fcf1c1.jpg

d8b90d8a.jpg

Pull the perch straight out with some pliers and clean in there real good.

cd1a9578.jpg

aa76df06.jpg

Go backwards to reassemble.

Any time you remove a part from the carb, clean that part thoroughly, then clean the carb both around where the part came from and the main shafts/chambers as well, since you might have dislodged other sand/crap that could fall into other parts of the carb.

Clean the exterior of the carb real good, clean the slide tube and the main mixing chamber/tube.

Remove the 4 screws holding the bowl on.

Clean the bowl out real good, including the choke tube.

Unscrew your main jet. spray some cleaner through the jet and make sure nothing is in there.

Spray down where you just pulled the main jet from.

remove the splash guard.

remove the washer below the splash guard.

remove your pilot jet and clean in there / the jet. You will need a small screwdriver for this.

Punch out the pin holding the float. I just used the tip of my screwdriver and tapped it with my gerber tool and it popped right out.

remove the float

Remove the litlte valve that sits on the float arm and clean it real good.

unscrew the screw that holds the float valve perch.

Go backwards to reassemble.

Thanks a lot BigRed350x, and now I declare you as an Imperial Friend.

good job bigred. :headbang:

about the only thing i do differently is use my air compressor to blow out any jets and their seats, etc. lightly of course, you don't need 90lbs of air to get the dirt out :rolleyes: don't forget to re-sync the carbs after you get her all back together also.