Shopping for new carbs and fine tuning!

This is my setup as of right now. DirtWorx Stroker Drag Port, Wiseco 4mm HotRod Crank, Wiseco 795's +.020, VForce3's, RK Tech Head w/Custom Stroker Domes, Stock Carbs w/Big Jets and Toomey Needles, K&N Clamp-Ons, CPI Inframes, +4 Timing, R6 Clutch Pack w/Barnett 30% Springs and Pancake Bearing Mod, +4 Swinger, GBC Shark Fin Fronts and SkatTrak 10 Paddle Extreme Haulers with 72inch roll out all on Douglas Aluminum.

First I could use some input on what carbs to go with and what I should try for jets. I know I'm gonna have to port out my vforce 3's and get new manifolds and filters. What manifolds should I go with?

The big thing is that I am having trouble launching out of 2nd gear. I'm getting killed out of the hole but I have the top end to catch up no problem. When the sand is packed down and maybe a little wet I can, but when the sand is normal I have to launch out of first and its killing me. :banghead: I know getting fat carbs will help but any tips on gearing and or tire size would be help full. I will also have my hands on some 10 paddle extremes with 70 inch roll out and some 10 paddle extremes 21x12x8's roll out unknown.

Any input and advice would be great.

This is my setup as of right now. DirtWorx Stroker Drag Port, Wiseco 4mm HotRod Crank, Wiseco 795's +.020, VForce3's, RK Tech Head w/Custom Stroker Domes, Stock Carbs w/Big Jets and Toomey Needles, K&N Clamp-Ons, CPI Inframes, +4 Timing, R6 Clutch Pack w/Barnett 30% Springs and Pancake Bearing Mod, +4 Swinger, GBC Shark Fin Fronts and SkatTrak 10 Paddle Extreme Haulers with 72inch roll out all on Douglas Aluminum.

First I could use some input on what carbs to go with and what I should try for jets. I know I'm gonna have to port out my vforce 3's and get new manifolds and filters. What manifolds should I go with?

The big thing is that I am having trouble launching out of 2nd gear. I'm getting killed out of the hole but I have the top end to catch up no problem. When the sand is packed down and maybe a little wet I can, but when the sand is normal I have to launch out of first and its killing me. :banghead: I know getting fat carbs will help but any tips on gearing and or tire size would be help full. I will also have my hands on some 10 paddle extremes with 70 inch roll out and some 10 paddle extremes 21x12x8's roll out unknown.

I'm not any help here, but I have a similair setup and would like to hear some answers.

:baseballcap_orange:

Most people on the HQ go with Keihins so you'll be able to get the most jetting advise for those.

As for manifolds the cheapest is UPP that are like the stock manifolds but fit a 34-36mm carb, Boss manifolds are a nice billet manifold and probably the cheapest billet ones for around $150, or prodesign are nice for around $200.

I have a set of 21x12x8 9 paddle extremes and +4 swing arm on my +4mm cub shee, and I have the same problem you have with launches. I also weigh 270 which doesn't help. Too much wheel spin for drag racing. But it works great for all around duning and would probably fry my barnett clutch if it hooked up any better. I would suggest some 22" extremes with 10 or more paddles for the best launches.

Thanks for the input. Im leaning for the 35mm pwk's. As long as i dont have to spend 50 on jets just to get my jetting on because im guessing. It does not help that jets for the pwk's run about 4 bucks a pop and are made of gold.

I talked to a local builder today and he shot me the idea of putting a 15T on the front with a 43 44 on the back to optimise mecanical tourqe.

What do you guys think?

"QUOTE I talked to a local builder today and he shot me the idea of putting a 15T on the front with a 43 44 on the back to optimise mecanical tourqe."

That gearing would be the same as running stock gearing 14/41.You will need alot of torque to pull that with a 72" rollout. and you still wont be able to launch in second.Depending on how steep your hill is that you race on if it's steep you will actually go slower.

You can get billet intakes from e-bay for about $80 new.Just keep an eye open for them,Tara79 usualy has them on there.

As for porting your vf-3's you can order the square hole stuffers from Cascade innovations for $5. each.

I would recomend the 35mm pwks as well.They aren't as picky as the others and the jetting stays pretty close the same when the temp. changes.They also will flow more than a lectron.It would probably take at least a 38mm lectron to flow the same.

You can get billet intakes from e-bay for about $80 new.Just keep an eye open for them,Tara79 usualy has them on there.

As for porting your vf-3's you can order the square hole stuffers from Cascade innovations for $5. each.

I would recomend the 35mm pwks as well.They aren't as picky as the others and the jetting stays pretty close the same when the temp. changes.They also will flow more than a lectron.It would probably take at least a 38mm lectron to flow the same.

can you elaborate on what the square hole stuffers are?... honestly have never heard of such a thing...

thanks,

yyz

can you elaborate on what the square hole stuffers are?... honestly have never heard of such a thing...

thanks,

yyz

The v 3's come with a down sized plastic (stuffer) that constricts the air flow with the bigger carbs. The bigger stuffer allows more intake flow (like the v 2's)

The v 3's come with a down sized plastic (stuffer) that constricts the air flow with the bigger carbs. The bigger stuffer allows more intake flow (like the v 2's)

awesome... i knew the 3's were smaller than the 2's... we have both... but jeff at moto t. told me we would have to port the 3's... i will call cascade and check into the stuffer...

thanks,

yyz

thanks,

yyz

You take out the stuffer that came with the VF'3 ( they have the round opening) and replace it with cascade's stuffer and it will open up the cage to match square intakes. Its basicly a square ring to stop the reeds from falling out when the stuffer is removed. I would highly recomend them over porting the stuffer. I hope I explained it well enough.

You take out the stuffer that came with the VF'3 ( they have the round opening) and replace it with cascade's stuffer and it will open up the cage to match square intakes. Its basicly a square ring to stop the reeds from falling out when the stuffer is removed. I would highly recomend them over porting the stuffer. I hope I explained it well enough.

awesome again... i would much rather use the square stuffer if that is how it works... i was looking for it on cascades website, but couldn't find it... that does sound easier and more reliable than porting out the stock vf3 stuffer...

thanks much,

yyz

for the bogging your goign to have to lower your gearing to like 14-41 might end up with a 43.

im going with the same shit with my paddles and pro wedges, starting out in sec gear. i dont see how people can run 22 tall tires with 15-41 gearing taking off in sec. my bike wont do it with 22s.

so its a trial and error thing.

for the bogging your goign to have to lower your gearing to like 14-41 might end up with a 43.

im going with the same shit with my paddles and pro wedges, starting out in sec gear. i dont see how people can run 22 tall tires with 15-41 gearing taking off in sec. my bike wont do it with 22s.

so its a trial and error thing.

Yes. A lot of trial and error. I think i just need to see what some other bikes are running and take my best shot. If it takes me all day....ohh well. Just once I get this bike dialed in I better shine up my tail light! :beer: Its gonna be a runner. Thanks for the input!